Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Hey, if you are doing well enjoy it. You are working and I will be retiring, so there is a difference. Even cost of living increases would be less of an issue for you than me, as once retired my income, will be fairly static, where yours will increase. I love CA, but as I get older I have learned to look beyond what I am emotionally attached to and what is best for my wife and I, and family, as we get older. You are not there yet, so enjoy, but plan ahead as well.

Oh, don't wait for any bubble to pop. It won't happen as no bubble exists as it did in the last bubble pop. The prices will keep going up, even if this year they may move up a bit more slowly, they will keep increasing.

SD has plenty of water, but you will still pay more for it as at the State Gov't they keep claiming a drought and ... SD still has to pay.
I'm more cautious now with things, when I was younger I was more carefree but after going through several recessions in my professional career and subsequent jobs losses, I don't think anything will last so I'm enjoying the ride. I could have possibly made a move to a more affordable area, but I always wanted to try it here and we will see how it goes.

As it stands now, my Wife and I are not sure on our future here. Will see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 06:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
I'm more cautious now with things, when I was younger I was more carefree but after going through several recessions in my professional career and subsequent jobs losses, I don't think anything will last so I'm enjoying the ride. I could have possibly made a move to a more affordable area, but I always wanted to try it here and we will see how it goes.

As it stands now, my Wife and I are not sure on our future here. Will see how it goes.
I lived in North SD twice and my mother lived there for 34 years. I love SD County but have also seen it change dramatically over the years. More crowded and expensive, but not as bad as OC. Enjoy your time there and if you are able to, find a good area and stay, but only if you can buy before that. I may end up your neighbor and I may not. Too many things going on right now to finalize the decision.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I lived in North SD twice and my mother lived there for 34 years. I love SD County but have also seen it change dramatically over the years. More crowded and expensive, but not as bad as OC. Enjoy your time there and if you are able to, find a good area and stay, but only if you can buy before that. I may end up your neighbor and I may not. Too many things going on right now to finalize the decision.
I have been up to OC a few times, it reminds of of SoFla in terms of the sprawl and traffic among other things.

Well I'm sure you saw a lot of change here, to us it's much slower paced from what we are use to, so that's the reason we are adjusting to life here among the weather and etc.

I noticed one thing here, there is a lot of vacant land not what's typical in SoFla where every piece of land is consumed for retail or housing right up to the Glades. We do ponder how long it will last here though, will it get out of control. Most natives tell me not to worry aside from home prices, they call San Diego County and "Island" with thanks to Pendleton being the buffer zone and the mountains to the east.

I don't think you can go wrong in either area, also a bonus you lived here before you already know what to expect. If you never experienced FL living, you may like it. It has a different vibe than here, and the beaches are easily accessible in FL unlike here, parking has been an issue for us even on off weather days. It's all luck of the draw.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:18 PM

59 posts, read 115,987 times
I'm pretty sure we are heading in the direction of FL sooner rather than later. Tired of Philadelphia, the long dreary winters and the general miserableness of the people.
Hope we are making the right decision in picking the Lakewood Ranch area. Wish we could be closer to the water but the combination of wanting to build, being in a neighborhood for the kids and having good school has us seriously considering LWR.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarguy73 View Post
I'm pretty sure we are heading in the direction of FL sooner rather than later. Tired of Philadelphia, the long dreary winters and the general miserableness of the people.
Hope we are making the right decision in picking the Lakewood Ranch area. Wish we could be closer to the water but the combination of wanting to build, being in a neighborhood for the kids and having good school has us seriously considering LWR.
Just make sure you got good employment lined up and keep in mind you may not totally avoid the Northeast miserable index and/or people because most of the population or inward migration is from those areas, depending on where you hang your hat that is.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
I have been up to OC a few times, it reminds of of SoFla in terms of the sprawl and traffic among other things.

Well I'm sure you saw a lot of change here, to us it's much slower paced from what we are use to, so that's the reason we are adjusting to life here among the weather and etc.

I noticed one thing here, there is a lot of vacant land not what's typical in SoFla where every piece of land is consumed for retail or housing right up to the Glades. We do ponder how long it will last here though, will it get out of control. Most natives tell me not to worry aside from home prices, they call San Diego County and "Island" with thanks to Pendleton being the buffer zone and the mountains to the east.

I don't think you can go wrong in either area, also a bonus you lived here before you already know what to expect. If you never experienced FL living, you may like it. It has a different vibe than here, and the beaches are easily accessible in FL unlike here, parking has been an issue for us even on off weather days. It's all luck of the draw.
SD County is unique and employment there is not as good as OC, so it is growing slower and has a greater land area, so lots of open land now. It is growing and getting more crowded and I do not expect that to get better. Unlikely any new freeways to allow for some better access to SD, etc. so it will be like SEFL eventually but probably not for many, many years. I would never move to SEFL nor near Tampa/St Pete as it is getting just as bad. We have looked all over FL the last couple of years and are looking at the mid East Coast as the best area for us and NOT Daytona.

Pendleton has a big impact on SD as it isolates it a bit from the other Coastal areas and slows growth. Enjoy.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 PM

59 posts, read 115,987 times
Quote:
Just make sure you got good employment lined up and keep in mind you may not totally avoid the Northeast miserable index and/or people because most of the population or inward migration is from those areas, depending on where you hang your hat that is.
Good points. Probably shouldn't have mentioned the attitude of the people, we would consider moving because I think it's best for us. We won't be moving until employment is lined up, confirmed and start date is agreed upon. I'll either transfer with my current company or look for a similar position with a different company.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
SD County is unique and employment there is not as good as OC, so it is growing slower and has a greater land area, so lots of open land now. It is growing and getting more crowded and I do not expect that to get better. Unlikely any new freeways to allow for some better access to SD, etc. so it will be like SEFL eventually but probably not for many, many years. I would never move to SEFL nor near Tampa/St Pete as it is getting just as bad. We have looked all over FL the last couple of years and are looking at the mid East Coast as the best area for us and NOT Daytona.

Pendleton has a big impact on SD as it isolates it a bit from the other Coastal areas and slows growth. Enjoy.
I don't know how good the OC is for jobs outside of my line of work which is quite healthy there as ell, but can tell you there are many ppl within my company who commute from the OC daily to North County. Been there done that in FL, prefer to not commute anytime soon but I would not rule it out.

In a comparision with SoFla, just seeing the plethora of business parks and brand names around me and beyond is mind boggling, many well known and big employers, compared to SoFla which is mainly filled with retail and residental sprawl for miles, occasional company or employer not many if any big brands or well known companies, lot's of small companies or businesses. Not many large employers anymore, a few but they keep downsizing or closing operations.

Like I may have said before, my Wife and I were looking at Melbourne as a possible move, seemed to be somewhat more affordable, rentals/housing was much lower than SoFla, but after screening several companies and finding out what the salaries would be, we ruled out relocating there and my Wife knew I always wanted to try it our here, suppose she is giving me that wish? She still misses FL, she lived there longer than me total so it's a big change of life.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarguy73 View Post
Good points. Probably shouldn't have mentioned the attitude of the people, we would consider moving because I think it's best for us. We won't be moving until employment is lined up, confirmed and start date is agreed upon. I'll either transfer with my current company or look for a similar position with a different company.
I know what you are saying, I'm originally from PA and know the attitude but there are some decent people in PA too, it's just that the distrubution in parts of FL is much more dense in terms of the a-hole factor. Keep in mind you have the finest of the tri-state area who flock to FL between Oct-April'ish and/or are full-time residents. The closer you get to Miami, the higher the meter goes up.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:01 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
I have to agree with Aewan..We lived in Boca for 4 years and we are from NY/NJ..We are moving to the Tampa area this time around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida