Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 05:45 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I'm in awe of people that know how to play the stock market
I've been doing it a long time and now have grown it large enough that I can do relatively low risk trades and make a living without having to work a day job. It also afforded me to buy a large rental property, plus I do Airbnb with one of the rooms in my house, so overall I'm having a comfortable life from home. My only complaint is that it gets a bit lonely during the day haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 12:35 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I've been doing it a long time and now have grown it large enough that I can do relatively low risk trades and make a living without having to work a day job. It also afforded me to buy a large rental property, plus I do Airbnb with one of the rooms in my house, so overall I'm having a comfortable life from home. My only complaint is that it gets a bit lonely during the day haha.
You have to find a good hobby you can do from home LOL
Wood working, painting, drawing, reading, learning, etc.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:16 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
I work from home, and i truly think a lot of people believe it's far easier than it is.

I design manufactured houses. I've been doing this for 15 years and until about 4 years ago it was solely from an office in the manufacturing facility. When my wife and I both wanted to come back to the east coast from Arizona I left my job of 9 years expecting to move to a new job at an office in the new town.

While applying for new jobs I had contacted some folks at my old company's corporate office. As it turned out they were overwhelmed, needed help but were very leery of hiring someone who would be 100% remote. My past performance with them had given them the confidence to try an experiment but I had to do the job as a 1099 contractor. I was fine with that, the idea of working for myself sounded great and not having to commute was a huge plus. After 3 years as a contractor they offered me a regional position. I became re-employed. I still work from home, on their computer, on their software licenses, through their VPN and even have a phone with an internal extension. Many people have no idea that I live over 1,000 miles from the nearest facility that I work for.

Working from home has some extreme challenges. I've had people tell me they would love to work from home so they can watch the kids, do laundry, take an afternoon nap, or whatever. None of that would work in my industry or probably any other.

I have a bedroom set up as my office. That's all it is. It doesn't look a whole lot different then my office did at the last facility I worked in. I still "go to work" and when I'm in here I'm to be treated as if I had left the house, drove to work and was sitting there. It took a while for it to click for my wife that I'm not "home all day" but actually "at work".

I would argue that I'm more productive at my home than the office. I do not have the socialization distractions of people stopping in to chit chat. My meetings are held on a teleconference, I can continue my tasks while the call is on speaker phone instead of sitting in a conference room for hours. I'm typically willing to put in extra time since I don't have that hour or two a day commuting. My biggest challenge in the beginning was proving that I'm still a productive member of the team. I take great offense to even the slightest joke about my work ethic from home. I work hard to prevent any toxic rumors about my performance from my home office.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:12 PM

65 posts, read 56,454 times
I work from home as well and agree with Vinny. I find I work far more hours from home than I ever did in an office. When you work from home, it is harder to separate your work life. In the beginning it's nice not to have to dress up and drive and chat with people. Soon you realize that most of your life is spent in a tiny circle...desk, kitchen, bedroom,desk,kitchen. There are no lunches with friends or decompression time driving. Your spouse thinks "you're always home" so you can meet with the air conditioning man , do laundry and cook dinner while you're supposed to be working.

So, while it had its benefits, it also has drawbacks!

N2F2

Old 02-17-2017, 08:34 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2floridatoo View Post
I work from home as well and agree with Vinny. I find I work far more hours from home than I ever did in an office. When you work from home, it is harder to separate your work life. In the beginning it's nice not to have to dress up and drive and chat with people. Soon you realize that most of your life is spent in a tiny circle...desk, kitchen, bedroom,desk,kitchen. There are no lunches with friends or decompression time driving. Your spouse thinks "you're always home" so you can meet with the air conditioning man , do laundry and cook dinner while you're supposed to be working.

So, while it had its benefits, it also has drawbacks!

N2F2
Most of my best friends(except for school friends) I have met from working somewhere out of the home. Do you find it harder to make friends when you work from home? I think that would be one of the minuses for me. Also I sort of like getting out of the house, the alone time driving into work, not having to see the chores I need to do at home glaring me in the face, and I have to admit... I like dressing up for the job and having work and what I call play clothes. I would have a harder time staying focused on the job work, too, but that is just me.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:46 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Most of my best friends(except for school friends) I have met from working somewhere out of the home. Do you find it harder to make friends when you work from home? I think that would be one of the minuses for me. Also I sort of like getting out of the house, the alone time driving into work, not having to see the chores I need to do at home glaring me in the face, and I have to admit... I like dressing up for the job and having work and what I call play clothes. I would have a harder time staying focused on the job work, too, but that is just me.
I agree Rabflmom. If I worked from home I think I would be distracted by what I need to do there instead of focusing on the "8 to 5" work. LOL
I also think I would miss my co-workers and the chats we get to have. Sometimes it's nice just to bounce things off of them whether it be personal or professional
I also like getting dressed for work too. Damn girlie girl LOLOLOL

Old 02-17-2017, 02:20 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
My Husband loves working from home..He goes to his client meetings and team meeting sessions as needed but everything is Virtual Meeting online so every once in a while he go into Manhattan...He travels also as needed which is why he can work anywhere..but he has worked from home for alot of years and does enjoy it

Old 02-17-2017, 05:16 PM

61 posts, read 207,790 times
I work for a health insurance company. Most of the big insurance companies allow you to work at home

Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
LOL, are you saying you miss the office politics and spats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: