Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I also have no problem with Florida's current gun laws. Permitless carry would be great. But, if not that's fine.
Alabama might soon have permit less carry as well. Just has to pass the house now. It died again in South Carolina and Texas again this year.

I've talked to lobbyist here in FL about permit less carry and it's a no go from what I have been told. The problem is our state is simply too moderate leaning now with it being split nearly down the middle. They don't want to do anything that might give democraps more votes. We can't even pass licensed open carry.

Missouri got it because the Republicans totally dominate the house and senate up there with big super majorities to slam it on through and then they simply overrode the veto. The same thing was done to pass it in West Virginia.

If we had big super majorities here in FL it might be possible then but if states like SC and TX won't pass it, no way it would pass here.

Also a governor like Rick Scott I could easily see vetoing it. He says he's pro gun but could take the stance of many other republicans and say background checks are a good thing.

Even introducing constitutional carry in Florida would take a rep or senator with a big set of balls to do. The onslaught and wrath the liberals from Miami and Orlando would bring would be astounding, not to mention the national media attention and Disney, Universal would be all over it lobbying against it which is why I don't ever see it here. Too many heavy hitters with big donor pocketbooks.

Notice the states it has passed in are fairly rural states. Missouri people were surprised because despite being rural it also has two very large cities.

This is why I don't think it passed in Texas because of all the large metro areas in Texas. Florida is too urbanized now.

The best thing for us is to make sure Adam Putnam wins the primary and is the Republican candidate for governor. I just hope this hacking of the ccw permits doesn't become major and is used to sink him during the campaign. Remember Scott barely won both times and just a slight tilt in demographics will easily give us a democrap as next governor, and the demos down here it would be some fruit loop from Southeast Florida or Orlando who is rabid anti gun.

Also important to elect a republican Dept of AG commissioner too. Putnam at least has made it as easy as possible by law to apply and renew our permits. Get an democrap in his position and they could push to make it mail in only again like it used to be. With the population explosion, and the permit so popular for non residents, it could create a log jam when applying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 11:17 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Alabama might soon have permit less carry as well. Just has to pass the house now. It died again in South Carolina and Texas again this year.

I've talked to lobbyist here in FL about permit less carry and it's a no go from what I have been told. The problem is our state is simply too moderate leaning now with it being split nearly down the middle. They don't want to do anything that might give democraps more votes. We can't even pass licensed open carry.

Missouri got it because the Republicans totally dominate the house and senate up there with big super majorities to slam it on through and then they simply overrode the veto. The same thing was done to pass it in West Virginia.

If we had big super majorities here in FL it might be possible then but if states like SC and TX won't pass it, no way it would pass here.

Also a governor like Rick Scott I could easily see vetoing it. He says he's pro gun but could take the stance of many other republicans and say background checks are a good thing.

Even introducing constitutional carry in Florida would take a rep or senator with a big set of balls to do. The onslaught and wrath the liberals from Miami and Orlando would bring would be astounding, not to mention the national media attention and Disney, Universal would be all over it lobbying against it which is why I don't ever see it here. Too many heavy hitters with big donor pocketbooks.

Notice the states it has passed in are fairly rural states. Missouri people were surprised because despite being rural it also has two very large cities.

This is why I don't think it passed in Texas because of all the large metro areas in Texas. Florida is too urbanized now.

The best thing for us is to make sure Adam Putnam wins the primary and is the Republican candidate for governor. I just hope this hacking of the ccw permits doesn't become major and is used to sink him during the campaign. Remember Scott barely won both times and just a slight tilt in demographics will easily give us a democrap as next governor, and the demos down here it would be some fruit loop from Southeast Florida or Orlando who is rabid anti gun.

Also important to elect a republican Dept of AG commissioner too. Putnam at least has made it as easy as possible by law to apply and renew our permits. Get an democrap in his position and they could push to make it mail in only again like it used to be. With the population explosion, and the permit so popular for non residents, it could create a log jam when applying.
You do realize that adding such juvenile flourishes to your posts does nothing to advance your argument, right?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:04 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:

I've talked to lobbyist here in FL about permit less carry and it's a no go from what I have been told.The problem is our state is simply too moderate leaning now with it being split nearly down the middle. They don't want to do anything that might give democraps more votes.
We can't even pass licensed open carry.

As I said in post #2 of this thread please move back top your Gun crazy state of Missouri if you want to enjoy those privileges.

I do not want to see gun owners walking everywhere with guns holstered to their side like this was the "Wild Wild West".
I don't want to see this at a McDonalds or Wal-Mart or a church or Disney World.
Perhaps you should have researched the Gun laws here before you moved instead of trying to impose your beliefs unto the rest of us.

As for you political comments as others have said calling people "democraps" doesn't help your cause considering there are more registered Democrats in Florida than Republicans and Florida isn't a "right wing " state despite how much you want to pray it will be to your NRA Gods.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:05 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
As I said in post #2 of this thread please move back top your Gun crazy state of Missouri if you want to enjoy those privileges.

I do not want to see gun owners walking everywhere with guns holstered to their side like this was the "Wild Wild West".
I don't want to see this at a McDonalds or Wal-Mart or a church or Disney World.
Perhaps you should have researched the Gun laws here before you moved instead of trying to impose your beliefs unto the rest of us.

As for you political comments as others have said calling people "democraps" doesn't help your cause considering there are more registered Democrats in Florida than Republicans and Florida isn't a "right wing " state despite how much you want to pray it will be to your NRA Gods.

In places like Arizona people walk around with guns in the open and it doesn't cause any problems out there.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:26 PM

686 posts, read 622,658 times
Quote:
Here in FL open carrying an AR15 would get you arrested while it's perfectly legal in other states.
Good.

What the F*** do you need to open carry (or carry at all) an AR-15 for? Compensating for something? Open carry is stupid. This isn't 1875. Go back to crazy gun nut nirvana.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:42 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
In places like Arizona people walk around with guns in the open and it doesn't cause any problems out there.
Please re-read my post above yours (#53) where I stated :

Arizona is in the West.

The wild one.........

Old 05-26-2017, 02:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Please re-read my post above yours (#53) where I stated :

Arizona is in the West.

The wild one.........
Now the "Mild one". The open carry is not a major issue there.

In fact: Turns out more guns equal fewer murders in Phoenix

Just one day prior to President Barack Obama’s announcement as to how he intended to combat gun violence in this country by regulating guns even more, Phoenix police announced that 113 murders were committed in the city in 2015 — the lowest number recorded in Phoenix in almost 30 years.
Uh-huh. The biggest city in the U.S. with the fewest gun laws and one of the highest firearm ownership rates, also enjoys one of the lowest murder rates.

Note; I own a BB gun that is somewhere in my garage, but haven't seen it in years.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:23 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Now the "Mild one". The open carry is not a major issue there.

In fact: Turns out more guns equal fewer murders in Phoenix

Just one day prior to President Barack Obama’s announcement as to how he intended to combat gun violence in this country by regulating guns even more, Phoenix police announced that 113 murders were committed in the city in 2015 — the lowest number recorded in Phoenix in almost 30 years.
Uh-huh. The biggest city in the U.S. with the fewest gun laws and one of the highest firearm ownership rates, also enjoys one of the lowest murder rates.

Note; I own a BB gun that is somewhere in my garage, but haven't seen it in years.
A 3% decline in a murder rate indicates nothing. Murder rates across the US have been in a decline for twenty-five years; to single out Phoenix as an example and attempting to link it to lax gun laws is ridiculous.

In 1990 New York City had over 2,000 murders, in 2015 it had 352. That presents a rate 4.15 per 100,000 population as opposed to the Phoenix rate of 7.48 per 100,000. New York laws are much tougher than Arizona's - you're almost twice as likely to be killed in the place with uncontrolled firearm usage, not saved by that apocryphal "good guy with a gun."

Old 05-27-2017, 01:07 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:

I hear NY is wonderful this time of year...

Last I looked at a political map there were a few blue counties, the rest of the state was red...

Old 05-27-2017, 01:44 PM

686 posts, read 622,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I hear NY is wonderful this time of year...

Last I looked at a political map there were a few blue counties, the rest of the state was red...
Yeah, because the places people actually want to live are mostly liberal. The rednecks can have backwater swampville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida