Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:53 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yup, I heard the same line before November when drumpf got elected. Plenty of rednecks still here
Only a one point victory in FL though. Razor thin. Obama won last 2 elections in FL.

States like Missouri, Alabama, Kentucky it was a blowout for Trump. If Hillary wasn't the one running, Trump wouldn't have won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 05:42 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,188,915 times
Quote:
Yup, I heard the same line before November when drumpf got elected. Plenty of rednecks still here
Ladies and Gents, I give you the Bellamy Brothers, two Florida boys from San Antonio (Florida, not Texas) and their most excellent song, Redneck Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXd5a-2VF0g

Old 07-27-2017, 04:35 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Only a one point victory in FL though. Razor thin. Obama won last 2 elections in FL.

States like Missouri, Alabama, Kentucky it was a blowout for Trump. If Hillary wasn't the one running, Trump wouldn't have won.
Agreed, I think Biden would've beaten trump here.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times
Quote:
Agreed, I think Biden would've beaten trump here.
He would have beaten Trump in the close states like FL, WI, PA. Georgia he would have given him a run too since Trump only won by 6 there but Trump probably would narrowly won GA against him.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:04 PM

216 posts, read 328,079 times
But the good news is that Trump won.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:17 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,748,872 times
Yes, I'm glad for that too. But I think we've kind of gotten off topic.

It's not new, as many have already said. I think "retiring to Florida" has become part of The American Dream. I think some people don't even think about whether they will be happier in Florida versus their life in the NY/NJ area; their decision to move (or at least do the "Snowbird" thing) is a sort of "expectation" of others around them, like buying that bigger car or putting in a pool.

The irony of the population shift is that as more people move here to escape various negative aspects of the northeast (heavy taxation, hostility, population density), those very negatives seem to come with them as they vote to make things "like we did it up north".

Old 07-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Yes, I'm glad for that too. But I think we've kind of gotten off topic.

It's not new, as many have already said. I think "retiring to Florida" has become part of The American Dream. I think some people don't even think about whether they will be happier in Florida versus their life in the NY/NJ area; their decision to move (or at least do the "Snowbird" thing) is a sort of "expectation" of others around them, like buying that bigger car or putting in a pool.

The irony of the population shift is that as more people move here to escape various negative aspects of the northeast (heavy taxation, hostility, population density), those very negatives seem to come with them as they vote to make things "like we did it up north".
Adam Putnam, in announcing that he was a candidate for governor, “We’ve got to put Florida first to make sure that it isn’t only the place where people come after a life well-lived somewhere else; it’s where they come to launch their own American Dream," said Putnam, the 42-year-old former congressional leader and product of a prominent agriculture family.

Adam Putnam says Florida can be 'the launch pad for the American Dream' | Tampa Bay Times

I really wish people would just **** about the "American Dream". What a joke.

Problem is, that "life well-lived somewhere else" is disappearing. Pensions, both public and private, are going poof. Read the "Housing Wanted" section of your local Craigslist sometime. If it's anything like the one in Tampa Bay, some of the posts are pitiful, even tragic. People with hard luck stories looking for even a room for $500.00, or someone who can help them out.

And foreclosures stacking up in some areas, while housing prices go through the roof. Can't collect taxes from an abandoned home. Or from the banks that own or manage them, in some cases.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
But the good news is that Trump won.
Are you Russian?

Old 07-28-2017, 05:57 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Moving to Florida DOES NOT change the financial situation for most and is one of the biggest misconceptions about relocating here.
It depends where you move from. The COL in Fairfax County Virginia is much higher than Volusia County FL. The average resident cannot retire and pay their mortgage in Fairfax but it is pretty easy to do so in Volusia.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
It depends where you move from. The COL in Fairfax County Virginia is much higher than Volusia County FL. The average resident cannot retire and pay their mortgage in Fairfax but it is pretty easy to do so in Volusia.
Yes, but you have to live in Volusia. Just kidding. Volusia is more than Daytona. Parts of Ormond are quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida