Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times

Advertisements

St. Pete, Tampa, Orlando and any town east of I-95 from West Palm to Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerja View Post
Hello!
My husband and I are planning a move to Florida next summer. We are looking for some advice on where we should be looking. We are a big family with 8 kids. We are white but five of our children are adopted and Black. We want a town where both Black and White people live and intermingle and neighborhoods that aren't so segregated by race. We are looking for a relatively liberal area that is diverse with decent schools, safe neighborhoods, and affordable. We would like to be within 30 mins of nice beaches and also commutting distance to a bigger city due to my husbands career. Any suggestions?
What you are looking for isn't to be found in Florida and certainly not in Jacksonville. I'm not being negative, rather providing a dose of realism as I know there just isn't the desegregation you speak of here in FL as the vast majority is the state is still very segregated residentially, and lacks in that diversity you speak of outside of a few instances in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area...which is by no means "affordable". I would urge you to give up on the beach element and look at a more desegregated city like Atlanta which is also progressive/liberal, affordable and offers an excellent job market. The northern suburbs like Duluth, Lawrenceville and Tucker are prime examples to check out.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:43 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
What you are looking for isn't to be found in Florida and certainly not in Jacksonville. I'm not being negative, rather providing a dose of realism as I know there just isn't the desegregation you speak of here in FL as the vast majority is the state is still very segregated residentially, and lacks in that diversity you speak of outside of a few instances in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area...which is by no means "affordable". I would urge you to give up on the beach element and look at a more desegregated city like Atlanta which is also progressive/liberal, affordable and offers an excellent job market. The northern suburbs like Duluth, Lawrenceville and Tucker are prime examples to check out.
I mostly agree with this ^^^. OP, if you are sure you want Florida, forget Jax, I don't think that is a good fit at all. I feel that Tampa would be the closest especially with diversity; I was born and raised there, it always was a city with a huge population of Spaniards, Cubans, African American, Italian, etc. These days there are even more, with a lot of Puerto Rican, Indian, and many other people respresented. It is a large enough city for job opportunities (depending what you are looking for). You will be further than 30 minutes from beaches, more like 45 depending on traffic. Best schools in south Tampa, but that is the most expensive area within the city. Hope this helps!

As for the "liberal" aspect, I won't address that. People come on this forum all the time asking for "liberal" places, and I have found that means different things to different people. It is a mix here, and for the most part I would just say it is more live-and-let-live if anything.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:40 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
St. Pete, Tampa, Orlando and any town east of I-95 from West Palm to Miami.
I think parts of Brevard and Jax would be fine also.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
You can also check out Gainesville or Tallahassee. Both big college towns , and always vote Democratic during Election Day

Old 08-21-2017, 04:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,456 times
I think you would be fine anywhere beachside. Beachside folks are friendly and into the ocean more than they are into any political or cultural view. Your problem beachside would be the limited number of houses that can accommodate 8. Good luck in your search.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:40 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
You can also check out Gainesville or Tallahassee. Both big college towns , and always vote Democratic during Election Day
We moved up here to Gainesvile from South Florida and I agree that G'ville checks off quite a few of the wants, except beach proximity. We love going to Jacksonville and St. Augustine Beach but it's about an hour and a half or so drive. So not super far, but not close either.

But Gainesville gets high marks for liberal (neighborhoods closer to the college, especially--however, the western suburbs are definitely more mixed and in some pockets are Trump Country). Affordability -- our home in Gainesville was nearly one-half of the price of our SFLA home. Health care--my experience, far superior here. Area also gets high marks for education. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2017, 02:26 PM

13 posts, read 20,626 times
Thanks for posting this! I'm considering moving to Florida too - for the warm and sunny weather - just kidding markjames66! Hilarious video.....!
I've been reading a bunch of other posts too and Jacksonville is popping up everywhere. I feel the same way as you with the political party. I'd prefer a nice mix - currently living in all red area.
I hope more opinions pop up as I'd like to hear them too.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
Tallahassee is a good bet.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 407 times
Orlando Beautiful is a great city 🌃 for that matter. You will find a lot of great neighborhoods to choose from . Housing market went up price wise , but still affordable for many families. Family your size may find a house to buy from $300k+ , off course will depend on the area and how central it is , if you are willing to go further to suburbs of Greater Orlando , then there is a possibility of like $250k+ houses to be found.
Good luck with your choice of a city and move. Hoping Orlando is on your list 😊
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida