Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:18 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,503 times

Advertisements

I don't know where you are at but I don't see any temps close to 90 in central Florida. The warmest I have seen is mid 80s. I will take that any day over the 30s we have been having here with lows in the teens. Oh yeah, more snow coming the next few days too. And I thought we were going to have spring hahahaha!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
You all moan and groan about the winter up north, but what about when it turns spring? I think that beats any year-round warm climate. There's nothing better than the flowers blossoming, trees blooming, that spring-fever feeling in the air, and of course, the weather getting warmer and warmer.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:09 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
Dear Rachel,
Yes, of course, Spring is eagerly awaited here, after a long winter. After sometimes weeks of below freezing temps, we love those first few days of SUN again, and warmer temps.

We then get busy raking all the lawn, getting out the dead moldy leaves that we were not able to rake up in time the last fall. We also rake all the mud, stones and salt that the snowplows threw on our lawn. We also fix the deep ruts from snowplows tearing up the lawns and people driving off the edge of our driveways. We then powerwash all the salt and mud out of our garages so the floor does not get ruined. After that, we powerwash the house siding and clean the windows that have not been able to be cleaned in over 6 months so we can see out of them again. Spring is very muddy here because of spring showers and the snow melt. The dog continually tracks in mud, etc. You actually have to try to catch your dog as it comes in and wipe it's four feet so the rugs, etc do not get tracked with mud.

We cannot plant any flowers or a garden until AFTER Memorial day because of frosts. You do get to bring all your chemicals and liquids back into your garage that you had to store in your cellar all winter because of freezing. In June, we get to uncover our pools and pray for a swimming season. Our Summer is over in September.

No, I am not complaining. It is just how it is. We like spring because it is a prelude to our short Summer. Actually, Summer and Fall are my favorite times of year. Spring, although welcomed, is a messy time of year. It is kind of a tease, because the weather does get nicer, but you cannot do too much outside until things dry up.

It is nice to have four seasons....it is just that here in NY, they are extreme.
To bring it back to the subject, I am looking forward to the Florida climate. Just having the Sun be the rule rather then the exception will be nice.

Frank D.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
I don't know where you are at but I don't see any temps close to 90 in central Florida. The warmest I have seen is mid 80s. I will take that any day over the 30s we have been having here with lows in the teens. Oh yeah, more snow coming the next few days too. And I thought we were going to have spring hahahaha!!!!!
You see where on your location it says "Maine"???

Now look at the same spot on the OP's name and the answers will be revealed (hint: He's not in central Florida).

Old 03-26-2008, 06:52 AM

436 posts, read 1,358,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You all moan and groan about the winter up north, but what about when it turns spring? I think that beats any year-round warm climate. There's nothing better than the flowers blossoming, trees blooming, that spring-fever feeling in the air, and of course, the weather getting warmer and warmer.
Where I lived in Philadelphia, spring and fall had become almost non-existent. It remains cold until May. Both March and April are cold, windy and rainy most days. March, in particular, feels no different than February, and we have had had snowfalls even late into March. April is a tad warmer, but I don't think it feels like spring. I remember last year going to a Phillies game toward the end of April wearing a winter jacket and wishing I was at home. May comes and yes, it is beautiful but then it gets hot just like summer in Florida. Summers in Philly last until the end of September and then we get to Fall. October is usually beautiful, but by November it is winter cold and the cycle goes on. So even though I love spring and fall, for me, two months out of the year does not compete with what I enjoy in Florida. Everyone has their own comfort zones and that's why some people prefer the north and others prefer the south.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:44 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Everyone has different opinions on what's cold though. I don't think 60 is cold in the beginning of spring. I LOVE once it hits 60 first time in spring (like today)--it really feels like spring is coming. And where I grew up on Long Island, I never had really extreme winter weather...the winter of 1994 was an exception. We've gotten maybe 7 inches all year? No big deal.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Everyone has different opinions on what's cold though. I don't think 60 is cold in the beginning of spring. I LOVE once it hits 60 first time in spring (like today)--it really feels like spring is coming. And where I grew up on Long Island, I never had really extreme winter weather...the winter of 1994 was an exception. We've gotten maybe 7 inches all year? No big deal.
Rachel,
You are correct. Much depends on the climate in which you live. We both live in NY, but there is much difference between weather, (and everything else) in western NY outside of Buffalo, and the NYC area.

Let us all get back on the topic here.....weather related blues.

I do find it surprising that one can be adversely affected by prolonged heat and humidity. I do not doubt it one bit. I just never thought of it, but I can see it happening. Conversely, I suppose that a change of seasons is nice, but we all react to it differently. I seem to have a bit of angst over the change of seasons....for me, winter is barely tolerable, spring is muddy, summer is great but too short, and fall is nice, but you are bracing for winter again. I am most prone to "the blues" during our long winters.

Up here, we also have a certain pressure to "get things done" before the next season. So much of what we do is seasonal. We have so much to "winterize" and "summerize". Snow tires, final coat of wax on vehicles to fight the rust, getting the snowblower ready, closing the pool, raking the leaves, tying up the bushes for ice, buying snow melt, getting all "freezeables" put away, cleaning out the gutters so the ice doe not ruin them, washing the windows because you won't get to do them again for 6 months, winterizing the mowers, trimmers, etc,. Siliconing all snow shovels, etc. All the spring clean up, preparing the garden for your 3 month growing season, etc,etc......packing and cleaning summer clothes, winter clothes, etc.

I do not think I will have that pressure in Florida as much. That pressure can contribute to stress and "the blues".

We as humans are complex creatures, and are affected by so much. We need the correct amount of exercise, nutrition, electrolytes, hormones, socialization, belief systems, etc, etc, to be healthy. That only scratches the surface.

Anyway.......interesting topic.

Well, I now need to go outside (35 degrees today with a cold wind), and drain some water off my pool. There is almost a foot of ice on top, and if it rains much more, the ice will ruin the top cap of my pool.......something I will not need to do in Florida.....

Frank D.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 03-26-2008 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: added the pool thing

Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 PM

717 posts, read 774,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I think all Northeasterners with their snow would get a laugh at this thread LOL.
Laugh , no I am ticked off. You bunch of spoiled brats! Its march 26 and we have not come close to spring in the NE. Where I live there was no snow cover but its been dark, Grey, COLD, damp and dreary for the last 6 months.

Today my wife got to go out and golf for the first time since September! I am at work. How about golfing in 50 degrees and wind? Sound good to you spoiled brats? You think she wouldn't want to be playing Jacaranda right now?

SO IF YOU'RE TOO DAMN HOT IN THE SUMMER GO JUMP IN ONE OF THOSE BEAUTIFUL POOLS YOU HAVE DOWN THERE!!
AND GET OVER YOUR "SEASONAL" DEPRESSION. ughhhh!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:27 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,503 times
It reached 50 for the first time here in Maine today! It's time to break out the shorts!! But not for too long as more cold and snow coming for Friday. That's the problem with spring in NE. You get 50s one day and cold and snow for 3 days. Then, being on the coast, the water temps are in the 30s and 40s and right into late May the wind blows off the water and our temps stay in the 40s. It could be in the 60s and 70s 20 miles inland but at the coast where I am it's 45 and most of the time there is a thick layer of fog to go with it.

Like I said, I have had to wear a sweatshirt on the 4th of July before to watch the fireworks. I remember most of last June was cold and rainy. It was in the 50s for highs in June. Then it turned hot for about a month in July into the first part of August and that was about it for the summer.

The fall is slightly better because it is usually dry but it only last about a month before it gets too cold. I would rather see 6 months of hotter than hell weather and 6 months of beautiful weather than 10 months of extreme weather and 2 months of good weather.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Laugh , no I am ticked off. You bunch of spoiled brats! Its march 26 and we have not come close to spring in the NE. Where I live there was no snow cover but its been dark, Grey, COLD, damp and dreary for the last 6 months.

Today my wife got to go out and golf for the first time since September! I am at work. How about golfing in 50 degrees and wind? Sound good to you spoiled brats? You think she wouldn't want to be playing Jacaranda right now?

SO IF YOU'RE TOO DAMN HOT IN THE SUMMER GO JUMP IN ONE OF THOSE BEAUTIFUL POOLS YOU HAVE DOWN THERE!!
AND GET OVER YOUR "SEASONAL" DEPRESSION. ughhhh!!!

Let's be a bit kinder here and keep it lighthearted. There is no reason for name calling. I'll assume you meant it in jest.

Bottom line is that we all CHOOSE where we live, and there are good and bad points about everywhere. The point of this thread is how where we live affects us......not to debate how bad it is where we live.

FWIW, golf is still weeks away for us...there is still more snow on the ground then grass......but I live here, so I'll do my best not to complain since no one keeps any of us where we choose to live.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida