Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:12 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times

Advertisements

We had all that here in places once upon a time - choices.
About the smoking, I remember going to malls, theaters, court house up until the 80's and smoking cigarettes was allowed. Even in all jobs...especially, at the airport where one of my family members worked. I don't know, none of us died or anything.
I can understand people not wanting to smoke and they have that right of course, but I think it's a bit extreme in a known tourist state like FL, to restrict our visitors/tourists in restaurants at S. beach, hotels, airports, etc. There are people coming for all over the globe that visit that do smoke and then they come visit & we tell them no? Is this hospitable? Some are in a state of shock when they visit, not only that tobacco is native to the America's...we got the world hooked and then we tell them no-no when they arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 05:39 PM

238 posts, read 668,960 times
- the majority of the floridians are your middle class, not the trash! we are your cops- teachers- nurses- firefighters ect . to imply we will ruin a place is an insult to us who keep our noses clean and do good for people. most of us are natives floridians , run off by a mulitude of reasons .

Old 12-09-2006, 09:12 PM

91 posts, read 152,002 times
sometimes, it feels as if all the nasty people from every corner of the united states are pouring into ILLINOIS!!!

Old 12-09-2006, 09:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Spotrod:

Please do not take offense. The people you cite are not the people that I refer to. I am one of those people. We are the middle class, also. Our local paper did a story on us when we were moving. They said that Fort Myers was no longer hospitable to the middle class. My husband lived in Fort Myers since he was 12!

I'm talking about the people that trod through Florida, never seeing it's natural beauty, making it their own personal schlock fest. Now that taxes and HOI went up, they are eyeing somewhere else to destroy.

Why would you possibly think that I was referring to the middle class that is just struggling to get by and wants a more affordable and simpler life?

That seems odd. I certainly hope you didn't see yourself in the people I describe trampling through Tennessee?

Old 12-10-2006, 07:21 AM

238 posts, read 668,960 times
not at all hipknaspter , i was replying to kdm who started the thread - nothing you have said is insulting to me and i know what people you are refering to...i enjoy your posts , very well said and thought out .....i'm good

Old 12-10-2006, 07:31 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,814 times
Amen! It doesn't matter where you go, what you do, or how you live, there will always be somone somewhere who has something to complain about.

I am reminded of the now infamous words, " Why can't we all just get along?" - maybe one day...

Old 12-10-2006, 07:38 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Default reality-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Amen! It doesn't matter where you go, what you do, or how you live, there will always be somone somewhere who has something to complain about.

I am reminded of the now infamous words, " Why can't we all just get along?" - maybe one day...
Yes thats a good thought. Visit (for more than a week) and work in South Florida to find out why that will never happen.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:04 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
Is it true that the many people moving from Florida are going to ruin other states like NC because they'll cause overcrowding, crime, ruin good areas etc? This seems fascinating, but very very likely, and it also pisses me off because it won't be long before the whole US is ruined. lol. Any insights?
We could put up a fence. Or, tell them they can only look for houses in January.

Florida people:

Is there tooooo much snow?

Is it toooo cold in (insert your state's name here)?

Will peeeeple like me?

Somebody said "hello" to me today. They're soooooo phony.

I can't believe you don't have (fill in anything here)?

I want to live in the country on a mountain BUT it absolutely has to be near good schools, great restaurants, no Wal-Marts, lots of coffee shops, the ballet/symphony a triple A rated hospital, a world-class library, other people who have a lot of money, Nordstroms, a country club, 3 golf courses, etc. oh yeah, and have a great active downtown area where I can peeeeple watch?

Will I be (horrors) invited to church? What do I do? What do I do?

When peeeeeple are nice to me, do they realllly reallly realllly mean it?

What do you mean that my child (aka juvenile delinquent) might be subjected to corporal punishment? He JUST has attention deficit disorder (or name your other kid social disease of the 2000's) and teachers have to learn to deal with it. So he threw a kid down the stairs. It's not like the kid died or something....

You know, cigarettes, barbecue, big hair, guns (pick one) aren't good for you and they ought to outlaw them.

I thought I would like living there but people are sooooo, how can I say this delicately, "provincial" compared to what I am used to.

I miss decorating the Christmas tree in shorts.

I was driving throuh (insert any town here) AND AND (gasp, gasp) I saw a trailer that had a truck in front of it. How peeeeeple can live like that I just don't know!

What do you mean homeowners insurance bills are half of what I pay now? I'm sorry but what's wrong with the place?

I'm looking to wipe out 5 to 10 acres of land so I can build a new house in the woods (for me and my spouse who will only live there 6 months out of the year). Can anyone recommend a good tree remover?

I'd like move there but can you believe it, somebody might ask me who my favorite driver is (insert rolls eyes emoticon here). I need to live where peeeeple are more intellectual....like me.

They actually put kids in trailers for classes. That's totally unacceptable. Why are the schools so overcrowded? I'd send my kids to parochial school but they make them take a religion class.

I wanted to move there but there were 2 Wal-Marts in the city.

I'm sorry but I just CAN'T live in a place where people have an accent! Do they know how they sound?

(sigh), I really miss having margueritas by the pool in December....

Old 12-14-2006, 01:17 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Awesome post, LauraC!

Old 12-14-2006, 01:23 PM

265 posts, read 904,827 times
Luara, that was pretty good. Did you read the entire Tennessee section to get that together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: