Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 03:50 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Marv95, Florida's demographic shift is what will doom the Republicans here, no matter how well they campaign, or perform in office. Performance in office is almost irrelevant.

We have had, and continue to have, a large hispanic migration into Florida, and most of them (not all) lean left. We also have a large wave of Americans migrating to Florida from Liberal states in the Northeast (NY, NJ, CN, MA, RI, NH), Midwest (Illinois, Michigan)who also predominently (not all) lean left.

Next election cycle, nearly a million felons will be voting in Florida, and they lean mostly (not all) left. If you look at the razor thin margins of victory the Republicans won by in Statewide elections (and some local elections too), these felons alone could have made this cycle a Blue wave.

What perplexes me is that no matter how well the Republicans perform in office, the vast majority (nearly all) of these left leaning voters will continue to vote Democrat. No matter how poorly Demorat politicians perform in office, the left leaning voters will continue to vote for Democrats. I've seen this playing out my entire life.

The only way Republican's win is if the independents vote Republican, and a few centrist/moderate Dems cross the aisle. Or, if the demographic profile for a certain electorate is predominantly Republican, like the Panhandle for instance. Or, if there's voter apathy and Dem turnout is lower than normal.

I think the only chance for survival Republicans have in Florida long term, is to soften their views on some of the social issues, and give a lot more free stuff away to certain groups. Republicans winning on the economy isn't enough. If they don't make these changes, Florida will wind up like Detroit, California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, & Puerto Rico.
Yet Scott got 45% of the Hispanic vote. While I agree they mostly vote Dem they aren't monolithic and you still don't need a majority of them to win. Liberal transplants have been invading Florida for years now yet the state is still controlled by Rs in all 3 branches of govt.

Felons aren't politically active. They're too busy either fixing themselves or getting involved into what put them in prison the 1st place.

Rs nationwide have a messaging issue, on top of dealing with fraud(which wouldn't matter if they ran up the score). They obviously have the better policies but they have trouble explaining why their policies benefit Americans. They need younger, hungry, charismatic candidates who can sell lemonade instead of lemons. Tackling student loans, supporting federally decriminalized marijuana and addressing the healthcare issue would be good starts(red states are now expanding Medicaid).

Old 11-19-2018, 05:31 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
As good a chance of getting FUNDED (since things actually cost MONEY) as the border wall (which MEXICO was supposed to pay for...)
That is now up to the Dem controlled Congress. Stay tuned.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I've been wondering the same thing myself, why didn't Scott get rid of her? I bet he was terrified of being called a racist.
I dont think it was about her race, I think it's about votes. If he removed her, he would have lost votes, in Broward particularly, which is one of the most populated County's in the State.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:51 AM

Marv95 said: "Liberal transplants have been invading Florida for years now yet the state is still controlled by Rs in all 3 branches of govt."

Agreed, but each year that passes, we keep getting closer and closer election results. These mid-terms were the closest yet.

The trend line favors Dems in Florida. Time will tell, but I'll go out on a limb and predict no Republican Presidentail candidate will take Florida in 2020.

Rick Scott will be a One and done Senator.

Ron Desantis will be One and done Governor.

The Blue wave will come to Florida in the near future. We've reached the tipping point demographically. Florida cannot take an influx of libs forever and keep having Republicans win statewide elections. I know its been happening for a long time, I'm just saying in the next 2-4 years, libs will reach critical mass and will flip Florida. Time will tell. It's just an edicated guess onmy part due to how close the midterms were.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:05 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
blue wave? lol ... Blue hairs in Florida will never vote Democratic....you'll need to import more trash there for that to happen.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:12 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
blue wave? lol ... Blue hairs in Florida will never vote Democratic....you'll need to import more trash there for that to happen.
Yeah, but we don't want you here.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:15 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
OOPS, I am sincerely really sorry, skeddy, I misunderstood you. I apologize for my last couple of posts. I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:22 AM

Marv95 also said: "Rs nationwide have a messaging issue, on top of dealing with fraud(which wouldn't matter if they ran up the score). They obviously have the better policies but they have trouble explaining why their policies benefit Americans."

I agree again, but here's my take on the messaging issue:

-Dem's control ~80% of the media, and those media outlets will parrott whatever the Dem leadership tells them to. Rush Limbaugh constantly prooves this with his montages where he'll play 20+ different mainstream media people parrotting terms such as "count all the votes" (even though that is illegal to do, and they only say that when they are behind, not when they are ahead).

-No matter how well R's articulate the benefits of their policies, when 80% of the media will not air their words, it's an uphill battle to reach American voters. It's censorship. The Dems are not watching Fox News, or listening to conservative talk radio, or going to Trump rally's. I would attack this legally as being a form of censorship. When the mainstream media's coverage of Trump is 95+% negative, that must be addressed legally...if there is a legal way to do so, I'm not a Constitutional Lawyer. I get freedom of speech and freedom of the press, but is this legal?

-Most Americans agree that Republicans are superior to Democrats on the economy. However, it's the social issues that are the roadblock for R's. That is where the Republican policy & messaging/articulation fails. Republicans need to select a few social issues that they can moderate their stance on, and then articulate those moves to the middle more clearly to show a willingness to compromise. Tie those concessions to specific compromises they seek from Dems. If the Dems won't meet in the middle, Trump should use the media like Regan did to say "you see, we are trying to compromise, and Dems aren't"..."The Dems do not want progress...they are inflexible" This is the messaging strategy that is a proven winner.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:33 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I read that she is quitting. Rick had 8 years to get rid of her, why didn't he? (I'm too lazy to google to see if this is an elected position.)

Speaking of elections, how does Rick keep getting elected after his company oversaw the largest Medicare fraud in U.S. history? Yea, I know it was 20 years ago, but still!
It's a mystery, for sure, but with all accusations of minority voter "discrimination and disinfranchisement" by the Democrats with every attempt to ensure that only registered, IDed citizens vote in elections stymied by same, maybe Rick Scott felt he had to pick his battles. When you think about it, I guess the Supervisor of Elections position is not really all that visible between elections, and he'd have had quite a battle on his hands had he chosen to go after Ms. Snipes.

The Supervisor of Elections is an elected position, and Ms ( actually Dr., she has a doctorate in Education or Administration, something like that), Snipes kept being reelected. I read that she's decided to retire, good choice as I see it, especially as she's 75 yrs old!!!!! I can imagine the stress, hassles and havoc with this recount and other messes of this election would be enough to make anyone want to throw in the towel, but at her age IMO she'd be crazy to want to be involved in any of this mess in the future.

I had to wonder myself at Scotts being elected in 2010, with the Medicare fraud charges on the part of the company he headed in neon lights all over him. I didn't like him either, OR his former company, was torn about voting for him or for his Dem opponent, Alex Sink. But at that time, I think I was appalled at the way Obamacare had been ramrodded through Congress, the lies and deceptions that accompanied it, and politics as usual in the Obama administration, so I didn't think we needed a Democrat governor or another Obama cheerleader. So I held my nose and voted for Scott, and guess I wasn't the only who did, since he won.

And his re-election in 2014, I guess I felt his merits outweighed his warts. That's about it in a nutshell.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:03 AM

With all that education and experience Dr. Snipes has, she was finally exposed as being totally incompetent (as were those who voted for her repeatedly).

This is why having a Doctorate degree doesn't impress me. If all of your experience is working in government, that doesnt impress me either. There's very little accountability in government. This is how she was able to stick around for so long.

I voted for Scott too, but it was because he was the least worst of the 2 left standing which happens a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida