Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 09:00 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The ad clearly says save UP TO xyz for the product, meaning to save that much, you need to buy the bigger bottle. You can buy a bottle costing up to that amount to get the other free. It’s quite simple.
Same with the Betty Crocker mix you brought up. The standard mix is $2.50 — roughly the same as Target. Do you know what “UP TO” means?
Exactly. Sometimes they will group multiple things together. For example, in the ad that starts on this upcoming Thursday, chicken breasts, thighs, and drumsticks will be BOGO. "Save up to $5.00/lb" or whatever may be listed on the ad because they are telling you the base price of the highest-priced item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
That’s right. So let’s not pretend like Publix is a value price retailer with the whole “oh but the BOGOs” BS.
I've been arguing this whole time that Publix is not a value retailer. I even quoted an analyst who said that if Publix started to compete on price, it would totally break its image. It would be like Whole Foods starting to sell Oreo's, Folger's, Lucky Charms, Doritos, and Coke as opposed to their solely natural/organic counterparts. However, they still have sales for people who want to save. Macy's isn't a value retailer compared to Target or TJ Maxx, but they have sales and coupons for those looking to save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 09:28 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The ad clearly says save UP TO xyz for the product, meaning to save that much, you need to buy the bigger bottle. You can buy a bottle costing up to that amount to get the other free. It’s quite simple.
Same with the Betty Crocker mix you brought up. The standard mix is $2.50 — roughly the same as Target. Do you know what “UP TO” means?
Here is the Bertolli BOGO at Publix in the real time world, not in the figments of your imagination.

As you can see, the only bottles that are BOGO are the 16.9 ounce bottles. I took those bottles to customer service and I asked them "Is there any other size bottle that I can buy on BOGO" and they said no. They politely explained that you can get two 16.9 ounce bottles for $9.74 on BOGO (at Walmart one of these size bottles costs $4.98, which I prefer, since olive oil does not age well). This image also shows a larger bottle at $19.99 (NOT ON BOGO) but I did not look at the number of ounces, I think it may have been 23 ounces.

Here is the 16.9 ounce bottle that is on BOGO.

Here is a 23 ounce bottle (NOT ON BOGO) priced at 10.99.

So like I said before, if you buy the Bertolli BOGO (16.9 ounce bottles) at Publix you are possibly saving 22 cents. If you buy the Betty Crocker brownie mix you are getting ripped off.

Last edited by sinatras; 07-23-2019 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-23-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I've been arguing this whole time that Publix is not a value retailer.

That's right. So if Publix is not a value retailer offering everyday low prices (like Walmart), and Publix is not an upscale food retailer offering high quality foods (like Whole Foods), then what exactly are shoppers paying premium prices at Publix for?

Oh, yes. Chit-chat at the checkout. And clean floors.

Last edited by sinatras; 07-23-2019 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Here is the Bertolli BOGO at Publix in the real time world, not in the figments of your imagination.

As you can see, the only bottles that are BOGO are the 16.9 ounce bottles. I took those bottles to customer service and I asked them "Is there any other size bottle that I can buy on BOGO" and they said no. They politely explained that you can get two 16.9 ounce bottles for $9.74 on BOGO (at Walmart one of these size bottles costs $4.98, which I prefer, since olive oil does not age well). This image also shows a larger bottle at $19.99 (NOT ON BOGO) but I did not look at the number of ounces, I think it may have been 23 ounces.

Here is the 16.9 ounce bottle that is on BOGO.

Here is a 23 ounce bottle (NOT ON BOGO) priced at 10.99.

So like I said before, if you buy the Bertolli BOGO (16.9 ounce bottles) at Publix you are possibly saving 22 cents. If you buy the Betty Crocker brownie mix you are getting ripped off.
Wrong label or something, the price per ounce, 65.06 cents/oz, for the 10.99 one only comes out to 16.9 ounces or so, no where close to 23 ounces.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Wrong label or something, the price per ounce, 65.06 cents/oz, for the 10.99 one only comes out to 16.9 ounces or so, no where close to 23 ounces.
i think it may say 25 ounces i dunno my pic is blurry

i do find it interesting that Publix has that 25 ounce bottle on a shelf with an organic sticker
but that bottle is NOT organic

just one of the many ways Publix tricks shoppers

Last edited by sinatras; 07-23-2019 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 06:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
That is correct. Publix thinks Floridians are willing to pay $2 more for a jar of Nutella just for kicks.

It's up to Floridians to teach them otherwise.

So far, looking at Publix's same-store sales, I think Floridians are sending a message.
On the rare occasions when I’m eating dessert for breakfast, i actually like Publix’s store brand chocolate-hazelnut spread because it’s made in Germany as it should be. Nutella’s sold in America product is not made in Germany last I checked

(Sometime there are gems among store brand junk food. I’m also pretty sure Walgreens house premium shortbread cookies are rebadged Walkers shortbread)

Old 07-23-2019, 06:32 PM

491 posts, read 472,166 times
Quote:
That's right. So if Publix is not a value retailer offering everyday low prices (like Walmart), and Publix is not an upscale food retailer offering high quality foods (like Whole Foods), then what exactly are shoppers paying premium prices at Publix for?

Like with anything, people pay for convenience

Old 07-23-2019, 07:38 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:

A middle market grocer...whose prices are the same as its same category rival Winn-Dixie.

Since Winn-Dixie's prices are about the same, has to be a "cost of business in Florida" or "this is what the market will tolerate" thing.

I don't know how much it matters that something is on average cheaper at Walmart. Walmart went on a building spree and heavy advertising campaign here during the 2008 recession and early part of this decade. They would name Publix directly in ads, and I'm sure they did it with other regional favorites as well. Publix shot back with a "Walmart doesn't always have the lowest price" campaign as well. There was billboard in Downtown Orlando. That's the only time I've ever seen Publix advertise on price. Walmart even had a Florida exclusive "We'll price-match BOGOs at the Walmart price" program when they were price-matching at the registers prior to the advent of Savings Catcher. The BOGO thing was obviously a direct attack on Publix. The program didn't last long.

The Wal-Mart Slayer: How Publix's People-First Culture Is Winning The Grocer War (2013)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurahe...th-low-prices/

Walmart stops matching Florida competitors' buy-one-get-one offers
https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...lorida/2200575

Old 07-23-2019, 10:05 PM

628 posts, read 695,644 times
Quote:
That's a good strategy. Shopping Publix ONLY for BOGO items.
Too bad their BOGO food items are usually processed junk.
What I purchase is my Business!!! My purchases are not processed junk. Have a delightful day.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
A middle market grocer...whose prices are the same as its same category rival Winn-Dixie.

Since Winn-Dixie's prices are about the same, has to be a "cost of business in Florida" or "this is what the market will tolerate" thing.

I don't know how much it matters that something is on average cheaper at Walmart. Walmart went on a building spree and heavy advertising campaign here during the 2008 recession and early part of this decade. They would name Publix directly in ads, and I'm sure they did it with other regional favorites as well. Publix shot back with a "Walmart doesn't always have the lowest price" campaign as well. There was billboard in Downtown Orlando. That's the only time I've ever seen Publix advertise on price. Walmart even had a Florida exclusive "We'll price-match BOGOs at the Walmart price" program when they were price-matching at the registers prior to the advent of Savings Catcher. The BOGO thing was obviously a direct attack on Publix. The program didn't last long.

The Wal-Mart Slayer: How Publix's People-First Culture Is Winning The Grocer War (2013)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurahe...th-low-prices/

Walmart stops matching Florida competitors' buy-one-get-one offers
https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...lorida/2200575

Of course it matters. That’s why Walmart sells more groceries than any other retailer in the USA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida