Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 01:24 PM

269 posts, read 247,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
Most places in FL are very well kept, sure there are some ghettos but that exists everywhere.

Perhaps FL allocates most of its money to infrastructure?
I lived in Miami off and on for about 40 years and now live in Las Vegas. I've traveled a lot in California many times including LA, SD, SF, Malibu, Ventura, the Inland Empire, the PCH, interior regions, etc.

The "b" roads in California through the farmland are not maintained. They are disintegrating, however these are farm roads in very, very sparsely populated areas within the interior of California. The sparsely populated areas of Cali are much, much more rural than the sparsely populated areas of Florida largely because Florida sells its soul to developers and developers are paving nearly all of Florida at this point (I am exaggerating, but not that much). Florida is a developers dream come true and largely at the expense of the state's existing beauty and existing populations.

The highway system and infrastructure in California though is leagues above Florida's. When it comes to infrastructure, the network of interstates and secondary highways in California exceeds Florida's so greatly that they are not even in the same category. You can travel throughout the state of California via its highway system fairly easily. California is an extremely vast, diverse, and large state compared to Florida. It's highway system serves the state very well. In fact you often see campers, off-gridders, and other travelers in California who are using the highway and infrastructure there in a way that is impossible in Florida.

I was in S. Florida during hurricane Irma and we couldn't leave. The traffic jams on the very limited infrastructure highway routes out of Florida were jammed with Floridians trying to leave the state and the drive that should take 6 hours was taking people 13 hours and lots of families were literally stranded on the Florida highways during the hurricane. Extremely poor planning by the State and results of over-development at the expense of existing residents. I drove from Miami to Las Vegas in January of 2019 and it was remarkable to me that most of the ridiculous highway congestion existed only in the driving portion from Miami to the Florida panhandle. Florida has just overdeveloped itself beyond its capacity. It is really sad for the residents who must deal with this. I'm certain one could perhaps say the same thing for LA, but not for the State of California. California is wide open, plenty of room for people and good major roads in my experience. The farm roads in California are another story.

A few weeks ago I was in Queens visiting family. I rent a car when I visit since I have friends on Long Island and Upstate NY. The driving in NYC was a pleasure compared to Miami. For one thing NYC tolls its bridges, but not its highways like Miami does every 1/2 mile. Also, the traffic in NYC is distributed since there are plenty of highway routes that one can take. Miami and I've found Florida in general to be very poorly planned when it comes to roads and infrastructure. That's a bit off topic (not Florida nor California) but I think it is another example that Florida is not such a great example of infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 03:43 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Older roads, more traffic and more people in a place with seismic activity. It's not tough to figure out why. FL may seem better in that respect due newer, less worn road surfaces but it's not via anything better managed and certainly not better planned. And while not taxed if one has been paying any attention, all new highway construction and redesign in FL has been via toll roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Sounds like good management and planning to me.

Why do you hate Florida so much? Why is it not even possible to you that Florida is simply a better run State when it comes to infrastructure and fiscal planning?

And p.s. - I spent 11 years in CA. It's funny that all of the people from CA are telling you how wrong you are, but you just won't accept it. Seems it's YOU who is lock step in line with your politics. How could a red State possibly be better than the big blue mecca?
Sounds like good management and planning? Are you high? Fiscal planning or lack thereof is how FL arrived at inadequate funding for highway construction and the necessity of building toll roads which oh by the way upon completion run anywhere from 10-20 years behind development. Not to mention a "planning process" which functions as an after thought to development time after time. Also I'm not in any "lock step" with any politics as I find other states (a red state like NC for example) much more in tune with road construction needs and maintenance so perhaps you're the one projecting there just a bit politically...?

Old 07-18-2019, 05:10 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Talk to any local in California and they will tell you seismic activity is not why there are so many pot holes on the roads. Not to mention in the Bay Area it cost up to $7 to cross the Bay Bridge and $7-8 to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s clear for some reason you are in denial now that there are 4 Californians telling you reality yet you refuse to accept it. There are some things California has that’s better than Florida but road planning and maintenance is def not one of them.
x2!

Old 07-18-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sounds like good management and planning? Are you high? Fiscal planning or lack thereof is how FL arrived at inadequate funding for highway construction and the necessity of building toll roads which oh by the way upon completion run anywhere from 10-20 years behind development. Not to mention a "planning process" which functions as an after thought to development time after time. Also I'm not in any "lock step" with any politics as I find other states (a red state like NC for example) much more in tune with road construction needs and maintenance so perhaps you're the one projecting there just a bit politically...?
Your meds are in the mail. Please take them

Old 07-18-2019, 06:26 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times
Volusia County doesn't have a Medical Examiner. They hired one, but they bailed when they saw the facilities. I believe we have a renta-ME right now. This is a basic responsibility of a county. They want some road and drainage improvements, instead of making realistic impact fees from developers they held a special election to raise sales tax 1/2%. Guess what it failed.

If Volusia County manages their infrastructure any worse they will forget to fund the sheriff's office and we will end up with uber deputies that bring their own car... And yes the sheriff has complained about funding, so it can happen. As a Volusia County resident, I am not impressed with the infrastructure in Florida.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:44 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Biggest problem in Miami....there are 34 separate cities...37 census designated....16 unincorporated communities

..getting them to pull together on anything is like herding cats

Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Biggest problem in Miami....there are 34 separate cities...37 census designated....16 unincorporated communities

I believe St Louis County MO has 96 municipalities, count your lucky stars.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

Sounds like most and any bureaucracy

Old 07-18-2019, 10:27 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Your meds are in the mail. Please take them
It’s funny how some people think they know California better than those who actually spent years living there. Some might have spent a week on vacation and others cough Kyle who have only seen movies think they know it better. I can’t even count how many times elevators were closed because someone pooped in it or escalator closed because of human poop caked the gears or how many times there were news stories on how locals spend hundreds more per year on car damage due to the poor road conditions compared to the national average. How nothing gets built because of environmental restrictions and never ending appeals. When you only watch Laguna Beach and 90210, I guess I can forgive their ignorance though. Like I said, California has some things over Florida... more diverse landscapes & climates, more vibrant food scene, more walkability, etc, but infrastructure....LOLOLOL okay what is he smoking and how do I get some?

Old 07-19-2019, 12:47 AM

269 posts, read 247,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Talk to any local in California and they will tell you seismic activity is not why there are so many pot holes on the roads. Not to mention in the Bay Area it cost up to $7 to cross the Bay Bridge and $7-8 to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s clear for some reason you are in denial now that there are 4 Californians telling you reality yet you refuse to accept it. There are some things California has that’s better than Florida but road planning and maintenance is def not one of them.
In Miami there are tolls every 1/2 mile on all the highways. These tolls are between 75 cents and $2.25. You cannot drive on the highways in Miami without driving beneath automatic tolls (speedpass and toll-by-plate) overpasses every 1/2 mile. I lived in Aventura and drove everyday to work in Doral and my speedpass bill every month was $150 just back and forth to work. You’re complaining about $6 and $7 tolls on the Golden Gate and Bay Bridge in SF? Are you kidding? When I lived in Aventura I’d often take the I95 HOV lane charging $11-$15 just to travel the 6 miles to the 836 near Downtown Miami. Miami is beyond abusive when it comes to lack of infrastructure and compensating through “Lexus Lanes”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida