Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:32 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times

Advertisements

Nice retiree from NYC or Philly.... lol, well probably a majority are but ... nice? Are these the ones that wave driving past you? or the ones shooting you a bird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:23 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
I thought sane person would check the average salaries for the specialty s/he wants to get degree in before going to college and getting any student loan. After all, we are living in a capitalist system, so everyone should be extremely careful. If you cannot afford to be in a field that you want to be in, then there is no other option but to choose field that pays. Yes, it's unfair, but I repeat: we are living in a capitalist society.

If teacher makes 30K/y, then just don't get teaching degree. Simple as that.
Most High School grads enter college not knowing exactly what they want to do. Some just go for a broad subject, like Business Administration, and then narrow it down to a specific area on the fly. Our Son fits that description. He has only 3 College friends out of ~20 who went after specific jobs. 2 are studying to fly jets for Delta, and a 3rd is pursuing Civil Enginneering.

Capitalist societies are the fairest known to mankind. Try to succeed in Cuba, North Korea, or Venezuela, and let me know how that goes. Even the Northern European systems are failing due to high taxes, low child births, and debt due to the nanny state systems they've implemented that they cannot afford.

I know several teachers who are now affluent. They married teachers, so had 2 teacher incomes, saved, invested, and bought rental propertys to supplement their incomes. They took Summer jobs, tutored, and wound up Millionaires by living well below their means.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:11 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post

For starters learn to type bottom correctly, not borrom. I don't find the Income tax to make a major difference. The rents where I live in Jacksonville is one of the fastest growing rental markets in the country. https://www.zillow.com/research/rent...ne-2019-24921/

Sorry about that. I was having an eye problem and missed the spelling error.

Quote:
My old 3/2 apartment was $1000 three years ago, it's now $1300. My apartment is a 2/2, it was $950 about over two years ago, same complex now wants $1150. Since people are moving to Jacksonville like crazy, rent prices went up like crazy. However, incomes don't rise fast enough to deal with the increase. Since in my field FL wages don't pay the best, the increases of rent affects me greatly. Since our office hires people from poorer backgrounds, we have folks traveling to the call center about an hour one way during rush hour to work a $15/hr job.

This is common in any popular area, just not as bad as say SoCal, NYC, etc.

Salaries are lower but so are many costs, so it can even out compared to better paying places. Now Minnesota seems to pay well, but who wants to live in the snow and cold for an extended time. There are trade offs with each State. Plus if not paid enough increase your skills or even start your own business as I did years ago. I am a HS graduate and have never been to college but I have 3 business right now, my net worth is very high, I have created technology no one else has and have multiple patents. I had to work hard and learn on the job and ... well it paid off. I started as a gardener and made enough money and then started looking at other things and eventually left that work and moved into a technology related business and slowly learned more. Hard, yes and did not own a home until I was doing well in my 50's, but it is better to do so than not. I also ended all debt, last car bought on 0 interest in 2002 and pay all credit card debt each month and I did that when I had low pay as well. Debt is a big problem for many. It can be dealt with and a better life is possible, but it takes time and effort for sure.

I hope you can increase your salary even if it means in another market.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:35 AM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Capitalist societies are the fairest known to mankind. Try to succeed in Cuba, North Korea, or Venezuela, and let me know how that goes. Even the Northern European systems are failing due to high taxes, low child births, and debt due to the nanny state systems they've implemented that they cannot afford.
Well, you are making same mistake as most people. First rebuttal that comes to mind is this: Cuba is #76 in list of countries GDP per capita. There are >100 countries below it. All of them are capitalist ones (with except of NK). So, I can say exactly same thing: try to succeed in Haiti, Bulgaria, Thailand, Ecuador, and let me know how that goes. Facts are telling that country poverty level is not related to an economy system in that country. I guess you never thought about that, right?
And yes, in Northern European systems people have more chances to have a career that they like and be paid enough for living. There is no way around the choice that either everyone fights for survival, or income is more or less evenly distributed. So, as I said, everyone should be aware of the surrounding. In the capitalist system you don't have a luxury to do things that you are interested in; well, unless your parents are millionaires, or it just happen so that your favorite field is in demand right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I know several teachers who are now affluent. They married teachers, so had 2 teacher incomes, saved, invested, and bought rental propertys to supplement their incomes. They took Summer jobs, tutored, and wound up Millionaires by living well below their means.
Never saw ones. Of course, I also never saw jack pot lottery winners, but they do exist: about in the same quantities as the miraculous teachers you describe.

Last edited by kanonka; 08-01-2019 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Then that means we have no teachers. Who is going to teach the kids for those who can't homeschool them? Teacher burnout is a major problem and I seen it firsthand. Quality of the education goes down the drain when a teacher leaves halfway a term due to stress and pay.
Well, they teach us that marvelous free market capitalist system will then increase the demand for the remaining teachers and their salaries will start to grow. Right? Of course, then very few will be able to afford any education (even HS) at all, but that's a small side effect

Old 08-01-2019, 11:48 AM

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/grade...nking-to-46th/

Last edited by expatCA; 08-01-2019 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 02:13 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
If teacher makes 30K/y, then just don't get teaching degree. Simple as that.

Quote:
Then that means we have no teachers. Who is going to teach the kids for those who can't homeschool them? Teacher burnout is a major problem and I seen it firsthand. Quality of the education goes down the drain when a teacher leaves halfway a term due to stress and pay.

I haven't met an affluent teacher, yet.
Quote:
Well, they teach us that marvelous free market capitalist system will then increase the demand for the remaining teachers and their salaries will start to grow. Right? Of course, then very few will be able to afford any education (even HS) at all, but that's a small side effect

It's funny that around 2011 or so when the newly elected Rick Scott signed bills that ended long-term contracts and had state employees contribute 3% to the Florida Retirement System, conservatives on all of the comments sections of those news stories told complaining teachers, "If you don't like what's happening, then quit! Plenty of others will be willing to take those jobs!"

Fast foward to 2019. There are stories across Florida about permanent substitutes filling classrooms all year because they can't fill positions. Districts are not fully staffed for the school year that will begin in a couple of weeks. Enrollment in teacher education programs nationwide is dropping. Salaries are not increasing to entice people to become teachers like "the market" is supposed to do in this kind of situation. The only thing Tallahassee can come up with are bonus schemes that are tied to arbitrary metrics and don't count as salary in retirement.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
It's funny that around 2011 or so when the newly elected Rick Scott signed bills that ended long-term contracts and had state employees contribute 3% to the Florida Retirement System, conservatives on all of the comments sections of those news stories told complaining teachers, "If you don't like what's happening, then quit! Plenty of others will be willing to take those jobs!"

Fast foward to 2019. There are stories across Florida about permanent substitutes filling classrooms all year because they can't fill positions. Districts are not fully staffed for the school year that will begin in a couple of weeks. Enrollment in teacher education programs nationwide is dropping. Salaries are not increasing to entice people to become teachers like "the market" is supposed to do in this kind of situation. The only thing Tallahassee can come up with are bonus schemes that are tied to arbitrary metrics and don't count as salary in retirement.
Part of the reason is that the birth rate has dropped and attendance at some schools is dropping and some may well close before too long. Is the pay too low, I would agree in many cases, but no one has to become a teacher and after a few years the salary does raise. Where a person works will also impact their salary.

Public School Teacher Salary in Florida

How much does a Public School Teacher make in Florida? The average Public School Teacher salary in Florida is $54,746 as of June 27, 2019, but the range typically falls between $47,795 and $63,203. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on the city and many other important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.

https://www.salary.com/research/sala...cher-salary/fl

Many of the substitutes do not have the Degrees/Training necessary to become full time.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Part of the reason is that the birth rate has dropped and attendance at some schools is dropping and some may well close before too long. Is the pay too low, I would agree in many cases, but no one has to become a teacher and after a few years the salary does raise. Where a person works will also impact their salary.

Public School Teacher Salary in Florida

How much does a Public School Teacher make in Florida? The average Public School Teacher salary in Florida is $54,746 as of June 27, 2019, but the range typically falls between $47,795 and $63,203. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on the city and many other important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.

https://www.salary.com/research/sala...cher-salary/fl

Many of the substitutes do not have the Degrees/Training necessary to become full time.
$55K/y for dealing with stupid and crazy kids on a daily basis ? Thank you, but no, thank you. Even if you add zero at the end of that number - nooooo way

Old 08-02-2019, 06:14 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Salary Estimates

Glassdoor
$36.7k–66.9kper year
Teacher
Duval County Public School, Jacksonville, FL

Salary.com
$41.4k–70.9kper year
Public School Teacher
Jacksonville, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida