Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:03 AM

25,708 posts, read 12,786,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not anymore unless coming from the more expensive markets (NYC, DC, SF for example) given the spike in rental housing costs and stagnant wages. Throw in higher cost items also such as car insurance and groceries which really levels out budget differences in many instances.
This web site shows wages in Orlando (they don't give stats for smaller markets like Daytona) and for construction (dont break down into commercial HVAC) are in a current slight dip for Q2 2019, but up 2% for the past year, and up 12% since 2006. While this isn't impressive growth, it is still growth, and I don't consider wages to be stagnant overall. Florida State wide figures mirror the Orlando market.

https://www.payscale.com/payscale-in...ndo-metro-area

This article (link below) recently showing Florida to be a hotspot for successful ($100,000+ of annual adjusted gross income) Gen X'ers (age 35-54) to move to. The data is for 2015-16, but I'm betting the 2018-19 stats would show the same. This means people making $100,000/year are leaving the North, and heading to Florida in sizeable numbers (9,000 of them for the year they looked at). They are either bringing their job or businesses with them (as I did), or they are finding acceptable jobs down here.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...en-xers-moving

There are plenty of people making very good money in Florida, and not just retirees making unearned income off their nesteggs. I'm near the OP's age, and I moved my biz down 2 years ago, and I'm doing just fine making $100,000+ in earned income, and added unearned income off our netegg.

One area of construction I see as needing help is the lanai/pool screening and re-screening business. In Venice, Florida, the largest provider was 4+ months out when I tried to make a buy. I suggest going to work in this business until you learn the trade, and then strike out on your own. Small businessmen who own construction related businesses down here are doing quite well. Some of their small businesses aren't so small anymore.

Don't just limit yourself to employers. Start your own business after you learn a hot trade down here. The smaller screener I hired just had a pick up truck, a drill, some liability insurance, a web site, and a facebook page. My job was simple, not a huge pool cage, so stick to small simple lanai jobs in the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 10:21 AM

898 posts, read 597,582 times
Heard back from a friend who made the move 2 years ago. He is working in the trades with tools and just moved to a new position making more than he was making in CT. As a PM, I think my odds are pretty good for getting CT pay.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:56 PM

898 posts, read 597,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
You have to remember the OP is retired and has a house paid for so he's out of touch with what the average Floridian working Florida wages has to go through.

OP is not retired. CT economy and politics are so bad that I can't find work and the democrats are driving me out. My liberal California raised wife doesn't want to leave CT under the false pretense that we have a granddaughter and that's where her two kids are. 1: we haven't seen, heard from, talked to our granddaughter in over 6 weeks. 2: her daughter is in the national guard and is almost engaged to a guardsman who has been called up, but still in CT. He can be deployed at any time. she can be called up and deployed at any time. And both of her kids live an hour away.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
OP is not retired. CT economy and politics are so bad that I can't find work and the democrats are driving me out. My liberal California raised wife doesn't want to leave CT under the false pretense that we have a granddaughter and that's where her two kids are. 1: we haven't seen, heard from, talked to our granddaughter in over 6 weeks. 2: her daughter is in the national guard and is almost engaged to a guardsman who has been called up, but still in CT. He can be deployed at any time. she can be called up and deployed at any time. And both of her kids live an hour away.

That person is unaware of the enormous cost of living, taxes and fees in very liberal areas lol.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:02 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
That person is unaware of the enormous cost of living, taxes and fees in very liberal areas lol.
That's a blanket statement and utterly false. Beyond that one has to calculate all living costs when comparing and not just those that help make some kind of political statement. When moving to Florida despite the fact there's no state tax one has to consider typically higher auto and home insurance costs, highway tolls (becoming more and more common) and grocery costs well above many other states not to mention the already established salaries that are 20%-30% lower.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:54 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's a blanket statement and utterly false. Beyond that one has to calculate all living costs when comparing and not just those that help make some kind of political statement. When moving to Florida despite the fact there's no state tax one has to consider typically higher auto and home insurance costs, highway tolls (becoming more and more common) and grocery costs well above many other states not to mention the already established salaries that are 20%-30% lower.

https://www.uslearning.net/cost-of-living-by-state.html

Old 08-03-2019, 06:19 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Clear as mud if making any point. Salary versus cost of living is fairly complex...

Old 08-03-2019, 08:36 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Look at the solar industry. It's about to really take off (IMO) in Florida... both at the utility level, manufacturing/distribution centers and residential.

You will sell stuff and be outside a lot. I'm retired from Florida Power & Light (FPL)

... just sayin'

Old 08-04-2019, 09:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
OP is not retired. CT economy and politics are so bad that I can't find work and the democrats are driving me out..
So i guess if you cant find a job to your liking in Florida its going to be blamed on the Democrats?

Old 08-04-2019, 11:28 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Regarding CT... I only know what I read. No one is flocking to high tax states. Connecticut ranked third among states in outbound trips to other states... and I'll bet they're not moving to NY.

He'll find work in the HVAC business for sure... never enough, however transferring skills to another discipline is a different matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida