Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 AM

469 posts, read 467,079 times

Advertisements

Lockdown success depends on voluntary compliance. Society has rule abiders and rule breakers. In my neighborhood some people pick up their dog poop and others don't. I see no way to stop people from coming into Florida unless martial law is declared and the roads and airways are completely shut down. Even then some people would hike or kayak their way into the state. After all, it's cold and gray up north. They gotta escape that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 07:09 AM
aax

710 posts, read 498,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
LOL. Good luck with that. Imagine stopping on I-95 to check IDs? Or how about the thousands of other roads that lead into the state. Just not something that can or would be done.
I95 would be shut down to non-truck vehicles in my plan.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:10 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I'm no epidemiologist but isn't that akin to closing the barn doors after the horses have run out? It's here and it's everywhere. Closing off one vector without closing all vectors is pretty much a waste of time and resources.
Exactly.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:05 AM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times
dunno....the news media has so many people....so freaked out

Now they are saying New York is ground zero again

..don't know what I would do in that case.....but I can see where people would want to get away from that as fast as possible

it's a real catch 22

Old 03-24-2020, 08:39 AM

482 posts, read 419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I'm no epidemiologist but isn't that akin to closing the barn doors after the horses have run out? It's here and it's everywhere. Closing off one vector without closing all vectors is pretty much a waste of time and resources.
I disagree. If you put the word out that FL is not open to fights from NYC, that'll most certainly keep out some carriers of the bug. Flatten the curve, remember?

What y'all aren't addressing, surprisingly, is the utter selfishness of those from NYC who are engaging in this behavior. Then again, maybe this isn't surprising at all.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:53 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Close air travel into Florida from anyone who doesn't possess an active valid florida license/id

and

Turn all hotels that allow guests from out of state into lock-down quarantine centers - whoever shows up on Monday - stays 14 days - no one else allowed until that 14 day period is over. Kick those folks out, take a day to sanitize the entire hotel, and admit the next batch the day after that - with mandatory 14-day stay for them as well.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:22 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Non-virus-wise, it already is.
And not in a positive sense.

Oops, I’m doomed.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:52 AM

9,397 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
I95 would be shut down to non-truck vehicles in my plan.
Ah I see. That would stop them for sure.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 AM

9,397 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
I disagree. If you put the word out that FL is not open to fights from NYC, that'll most certainly keep out some carriers of the bug. Flatten the curve, remember?

What y'all aren't addressing, surprisingly, is the utter selfishness of those from NYC who are engaging in this behavior. Then again, maybe this isn't surprising at all.
Selfishness....how? If someone flew in mid to late February from NY to FL with no symptoms and before this blew up, how in the world are they being selfish? They didn't know they were a carrier, nor that this was going to become a pandemic with the US essentially shut down. Sure if someone has a fever, cough and is generally miserable in no way should they be stepping on a flight, coronavirus or not. I think that goes without saying.

I think it's a step in the right direction but the virus is already here, unfortunately. If you want to lay blame, how about the dude who wanted to eat bat soup?

Old 03-24-2020, 10:07 AM

482 posts, read 419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Selfishness....how? If someone flew in mid to late February from NY to FL with no symptoms and before this blew up, how in the world are they being selfish? They didn't know they were a carrier, nor that this was going to become a pandemic with the US essentially shut down. Sure if someone has a fever, cough and is generally miserable in no way should they be stepping on a flight, coronavirus or not. I think that goes without saying.

I think it's a step in the right direction but the virus is already here, unfortunately. If you want to lay blame, how about the dude who wanted to eat bat soup?
Mid-Feb? I'm talking about now! Recently, some NY dude who was laid off and got bored and flew to South FL, knowing he had the virus! Typical selfish behavior of NY'ers....only thinking about themselves.

And yes, blame for the Chinese virus should be placed squarely where it belongs...on China!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida