Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 12:21 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,256,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Yes, and they are paid by tips. As for bagging, every place that I have been to, besides stores like Aldis, have baggers, thats nothing special to Publix.
That extra bagger is not normal even at Whole Foods or kings (both higher end) in the ny metro area. If anyone it is a developmentally disabled helper. Many shoppers still bag their own.
The lower priced stores like shops rite have much longer checkout lines, most are bag your own, at a cost savings.
Those stores are great because of huge grocery and frozen selection, including tons of ethnic( kosher, Indian, Latin) and lower prices but lower quality of fresh meats and fish but again very long lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 12:22 PM

3,376 posts, read 1,971,971 times
I usually go a little bit out of my way to shop at Winn-Dixie. The store isn't as well stocked (or well kept) as the Publix that is super close to where I live, but I think my dollar goes a little further at Winn-Dixie. I especially like their Deli staff! They're a bunch of funny guys who always get me laughing.

Publix definitely has a nicer feel to it. The lights inside are brighter and there are so many helpful employees. I was shopping there last week before the kids came to visit and I couldn't believe I bought apples that were $3.99 per pound! I stood there bemoaning the prices with another older woman about my age but I still bought them.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:23 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
That extra bagger is not normal even at Whole Foods or kings (both higher end) in the ny metro area. If anyone it is a developmentally disabled helper. Many shoppers still bag their own.
The lower priced stores like shops rite have much longer checkout lines, most are bag your own, at a cost savings.
Those stores are great because of huge grocery and frozen selection, including tons of ethnic( kosher, Indian, Latin) and lower prices but lower quality of fresh meats and fish but again very long lines.
So you mean there are 3 people at the checkout? When you said extra bagger I thought you meant bagger besides the cashier.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I usually go a little bit out of my way to shop at Winn-Dixie. The store isn't as well stocked (or well kept) as the Publix that is super close to where I live, but I think my dollar goes a little further at Winn-Dixie. I especially like their Deli staff! They're a bunch of funny guys who always get me laughing.

Publix definitely has a nicer feel to it. The lights inside are brighter and there are so many helpful employees. I was shopping there last week before the kids came to visit and I couldn't believe I bought apples that were $3.99 per pound! I stood there bemoaning the prices with another older woman about my age but I still bought them.
3.99! Yikes.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
So you mean there are 3 people at the checkout? When you said extra bagger I thought you meant bagger besides the cashier.
Yes. A cashier and if there is a bagger, they are almost always DD. It’s like I’m doing them the favor of interacting- not that I mind. It’s always some weirdish conversation about the weather or the holiday or their family.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Yes. A cashier and if there is a bagger, they are almost always DD. It’s like I’m doing them the favor of interacting- not that I mind. It’s always some weirdish conversation about the weather or the holiday or their family.
Interesting. I have been to 3 Publix that I can think of that we use regularly. 1 in NC and 2 in FL. They have all had a person that you can tip to take out your groceries and 1 cashier who also is the bagger. Sometimes they will have a second bagger if they arent busy. Different locations, different policies I guess.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I have been to 3 Publix that I can think of that we use regularly. 1 in NC and 2 in FL. They have all had a person that you can tip to take out your groceries and 1 cashier who also is the bagger. Sometimes they will have a second bagger if they arent busy. Different locations, different policies I guess.
To clarify, the DD baggers are at the high end grocery stores up north, not at Publix.
At Publix it’s always some competent English speaking person. I’m guessing that high labor cost is built in to the price of groceries.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:43 PM

18,460 posts, read 8,287,342 times
I do all our heavy lifting at Winn Dixie.....Publix has a lot of things I do not like at all....and Publix is more expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post

Old 11-28-2021, 01:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Yes, and they are paid by tips. As for bagging, every place that I have been to, besides stores like Aldis, have baggers, thats nothing special to Publix.
it is against company policy for Publix employees to accept tips. If you notify a mgr that you dealt with a particularly helpful employee, they are often rewarded with free food or gift cards.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
it is against company policy for Publix employees to accept tips. If you notify a mgr that you dealt with a particularly helpful employee, they are often rewarded with free food or gift cards.
Interesting, seems that often enforced. My daughters former tutor worked at Publix. His job was taking out groceries and he only got paid through tips and the other two places had the same policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida