Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 08:52 AM

468 posts, read 465,968 times

Advertisements

We left but now I need to get back and get my roof fixed. Lost some tiles but I think everything else is ok in my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 11:57 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,189,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
We left but now I need to get back and get my roof fixed. Lost some tiles but I think everything else is ok in my neighborhood.
Fingers crossed for you that’s all that happened. Glad you left and are OK.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Fingers crossed for you that’s all that happened. Glad you left and are OK.

My neighbor sent me pics of our roof. We lost some tiles along the ridgeline of the roof. I called our roof repair company and we are on their list. Hard to say when they'll get to us. We are just gonna replace the roof. We are leaving florida next year and probably wont be able to sell with that older tile roof. My agent told me Citizens wont insure us in 3 more years unless we replace it so we will just go ahead and do that.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:59 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
My neighbor sent me pics of our roof. We lost some tiles along the ridgeline of the roof. I called our roof repair company and we are on their list. Hard to say when they'll get to us. We are just gonna replace the roof. We are leaving florida next year and probably wont be able to sell with that older tile roof. My agent told me Citizens wont insure us in 3 more years unless we replace it so we will just go ahead and do that.
I hope you have better luck than our friend in Louisiana. It took her over a year to repair her roof from
last years hurricane damage. There will be many, many people who need the same thing. Perhaps you were early on the list.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I hope you have better luck than our friend in Louisiana. It took her over a year to repair her roof from
last years hurricane damage. There will be many, many people who need the same thing. Perhaps you were early on the list.
Yes. I agree with you. We are on our roofers list but I'm sure that list will be a mile long. Our damage wasn't that bad so when I get home I'll try to get some tarps put over those areas until they can replace the roof. 3 months ago we got canceled by our insurance because the roof was 22 years old. The only insurance we could get was Citizens so we are with them now. Agent said Citizens would only insure us for 3 more years unless we got a new roof. So, we decided that we will get a new roof instead of repairing this one. We are going to replace the tile roof with a shingle roof. My neighbors said the shingle roofs in the neighborhood fared much better and at our age we can't see paying for a new tile roof.

We are in Asheville NC right now and can't get home until next week. Its beautiful here in Asheville. If we didn't have that roof to deal with I'd stay here. Maybe permanently.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:57 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,189,384 times
My husband kept wanting to take a vacation in Asheville this summer but we could never seem to find the time. We have friends that moved from South Florida to Tennessee and I suspect due to Ian property values there, where you are in NC and even, dare I say, where I am inland in Gainesville might see a bit of a boost as people think twice about being so close to the coast.

When we lived in Weston, in South Florida, we had several Spanish-style barrel tiles fly off and/or crack during Wilma. The trades vultures descended on the area offering deals to repair the damage, that day, for cash. We actually took one guy up on the offer and it turned out OK. We didn’t want to pay for a new roof, but if we did, no doubt we would have been waiting for months.

Old 09-30-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
My husband kept wanting to take a vacation in Asheville this summer but we could never seem to find the time. We have friends that moved from South Florida to Tennessee and I suspect due to Ian property values there, where you are in NC and even, dare I say, where I am inland in Gainesville might see a bit of a boost as people think twice about being so close to the coast.

When we lived in Weston, in South Florida, we had several Spanish-style barrel tiles fly off and/or crack during Wilma. The trades vultures descended on the area offering deals to repair the damage, that day, for cash. We actually took one guy up on the offer and it turned out OK. We didn’t want to pay for a new roof, but if we did, no doubt we would have been waiting for months.

Asheville is beautiful. I think it's a place worth considering. Homes aren't inexpensive here, though, and they do have quite a bit of homeless throughout the city but we've got those situations in Venice Florida too. I think many desirable locations deal with that.

Insurance is becoming a problem in coastal Florida. I know many people with 20 plus year old $500k homes who go without insurance. Our home is 22 years old and we are 5 miles in from Venice Beach and the only insurance we can get is the state backed Citizens. Progressive canceled us 3 months ago even though we had never filed any claims. They said our old tile roof was the cause. We are getting rid of that old file roof soon but I'm still not too positive about the future of the insurance market in coastal Florida. I do believe obtaining insurance could affect home sales soon. Even cash buyers will most likely want insurance. Newer homes will fare better with that for sure.

This is just anecdotal evidence but my neighbors told me that the homes with shingle roofs fared much better than the tile roof homes in my neighborhood. I did notice that in the past year that almost 100 percent of the shingle roof homes got new roofs and I'm pretty sure that insurance was the driving force behind that. All tile roofs are not created equal though. Our tiles are concrete and not screwed down. We have a friend who lives on Venice island who has a new tile roof not similar to ours and they had no damage.

Would I stay in coastal Florida? Right now we are very much leaning on leaving.

Old 09-30-2022, 11:51 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
There is a very big possibility you will get stranded or killed while watching your house float or fly away, true? Seems best to evacuate. You can't win against Mother Nature. If the town is all evacuated it won't be as difficult for rescue personnel because they won't have to search every single house for survivors, right? Perhaps the rescue personnel would be stretched too thin for that.

Old 09-30-2022, 11:55 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Mandatory evacuation? We’re out.

Old 09-30-2022, 12:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I get up there and repair my own, 3 xs, diff places...It isn't rocket science...of course my pitch is not steep.
One time Oct 2021 after 100 mph gusts for hours. (In Colorado, now.)
And it wasn't like I couldn't afford repair men..it's that who could find anyone.. with so many homes damaged!!!
Took 2.5 months for my old tree cutter to get to me! Gee whiz.

(Also ended up doing my own concrete work, easy to learn ...$70 for the bags ...guy was gonna
charge me $900...now would be $1200...for simple concrete work. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida