Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 05:11 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I shouldn't tell you this....but something was definitely wrong with that

We put in a new 50 gal tall smart tank about the middle of Jan for ~$750

...Nationwide Plumbing did it
I paid around 600 smackers 8 years ago. And it snowed in July and i got a little rain for once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 10:40 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
You only get about 10 years out of a tank hank. Kinda like buying a fridge midge. Nothing is made to last and it is built that way to break and be replaced so they can make more money my man. I know a fridge used to last 40 years or more back in the real days. My water tank is about 8 years old and i bet it goes when it gets about 10 years old with the crappy water we got.
We bought a Samsung fridge in 2020. In a year the handle to the freezer keeps falling off and the plastic shelves are cracking.

When we moved back to FL in 2015 the House we looked at in Deep Creek was built like in 1980. Was an old ladies house. It still had the same dish washer and ice box from the early 80s.

I work part time a couple nights a week at publix. Our newer coolers have glued on handles and hinges. Within two months the handles and hinges were breaking and can't withstand customer use!

If you go into an older grocery store notice the coolers have welded on handles and our rock solid. Our old coolers at Publix had welded on handles and thicker and more durable.

Same way with cars now. Notice after a couple years all that plastic begins to rattle.

Old 04-25-2023, 04:13 AM

381 posts, read 278,864 times
Our hot water heater out in Lox was so old the plumbers# was 305-xxx xxxx it was working just fine when we replaced it we just did because we could

Old 04-25-2023, 04:39 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, as I see it your neighbor who has decided that retirement in FL is " no longer worth it" is doing something about it, moving to another location he believes will be better for him in his retirement years. That's a positive step, which makes him NOT a victim in my book, and I say good for him.. The people who engage in their chronic victim mentality are those who whine and complain about every adversity, large and small that comes their way, and look for things to complain about otherwise, but they don't make any effort to try and get out, or at least mitigate the adversities they ( and we all, for that matter,) face. These "victims" look to blame others for their difficulties, expect instant fixes from generally govermental, municipal, or corporate entities ( whichever applies) without making any effort on their own to start climbing out of the situations they complain about.

These "victim" stories abound, and whether or not the interviewees intend this, the stories make excellent fodder for bashing one's political opponents, whether the accusations are justified, or baseless or just plain fabricated doesn't matter. The stories also fall into the " if it bleeds, it leads" category as they attract readers, with the more gullible among those readers engaging in the righteous indignation and outrage as intended by the authors, and if the stories garner outrage towards the publication's political opponents, so much the better.

You may read everything on the planet you can get your hands on, but any confirmation bias will affect reading comprehension ( true for all of us, not just you) and make the reader selectively choose the messages that go along with his/her perspectives on things, and dismissing anything that doesn't.

You may have missed this in the article you linked in your OP, you saw them as "victims" only. I'd gather, from your numerous other posts where you accuse other posters of being "insensitive" or similar descriptions for reacting outside the expected
weeping and gnashing of teeth,bashing our governer, this is what you also expect from your readers, and the facts be damned. Though what I saw in your linked article were not victims, but people, like all of us here in FL ( even us "ivory tower" types impervious, as you assume, erroneously, to the homeowner's insurance situation after Ian and earlier hurricanes) faced with very difficult decisions about how to move forward. And from what I read, these people were weighing their options that would enable them to move forward. That is the first step.

I'm puzzled that my mention of having our house paid off seems to have your panties in such a wad, judging from your disparaging responses to a number of my comments. What's apparently gone right over your head, in your assumption that I "must be" a member of that 1% of the wealthiest people who according to Biden and company must be taxed out of existence, I'm no trust fund heir, it's taken many years of hard work, sacrifices, living within our means and sometimes doing without to get to this point. Like everyone else, we have had our share of adversities and heartache over the years, but did the best we could getting through them.

The only thing that gets my panties in a wad are people who are selfish and lack empathy for others. I have no mortgages and have more money than I could ever spend, yet I have empathy for the millions of Floridians who can no longer afford Florida or most of the USA for that matter. I am a native Floridian and I remember when anyone could afford to retire in Florida. That is no longer the case. The more we think of other people as "victims" who don't deserve anything other than our displeasure and irritation, the more US society is doomed. The USA is turning into one of those third world countries that has people living in tents and shacks on a mountainside, and perennial shortages; the rich think they are isolated from this, and they are, but only if they stay in their homes 24/7. That's not the country I grew up in, nor is it the country I want to see in the future.

I just spent a week in Palm Beach and I had to drive to 5 gas stations before I found one that had gas, and the gas it had was a specific type only (89 octane). The last time I saw gas stations without gas was Cuba. 7 years ago. Florida has real infrastructure and cost of living problems that no amount of righteous disregard will erase.

Old 04-25-2023, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
We bought a Samsung fridge in 2020. In a year the handle to the freezer keeps falling off and the plastic shelves are cracking.

When we moved back to FL in 2015 the House we looked at in Deep Creek was built like in 1980. Was an old ladies house. It still had the same dish washer and ice box from the early 80s.

I work part time a couple nights a week at publix. Our newer coolers have glued on handles and hinges. Within two months the handles and hinges were breaking and can't withstand customer use!

If you go into an older grocery store notice the coolers have welded on handles and our rock solid. Our old coolers at Publix had welded on handles and thicker and more durable.

Same way with cars now. Notice after a couple years all that plastic begins to rattle.
I would never buy anything sammy unless it was a TV. It's junk today made to break jake.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:03 AM

92 posts, read 75,286 times
I’m puzzled that Florida homes don’t have mostly metal roofs now. They even make textured metal roofs that look like a traditional metal roof. This seems like prime opportunity to capitalize on roofing system that combats the insurance issue and less risk of any roof shingles going flying.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:18 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerad View Post
I’m puzzled that Florida homes don’t have mostly metal roofs now. They even make textured metal roofs that look like a traditional metal roof. This seems like prime opportunity to capitalize on roofing system that combats the insurance issue and less risk of any roof shingles going flying.
LOL most Floridians could never afford a metal roof!

the median HOUSEHOLD income in fla is 60k!!!!!!!

https://thecapitolist.com/squeezed-f...s-remain-high/

Old 04-25-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
LOL most Floridians could never afford a metal roof!

the median HOUSEHOLD income in fla is 60k!!!!!!!

https://thecapitolist.com/squeezed-f...s-remain-high/
It cost about 3 times more for metal.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:07 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerad View Post
The more prime opportunity is selling a free roof paid for by the insurance company. The roofing companies' salesmen would have a hard time if they were having to ask for substantial out-of-pocket money from unethical homeowners for the metal upgrade.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
That’s about par for the course for Samsung appliances. They look nice but are designed to fail. The ice maker in our Samsung fridge became non-functional in 2020 because of a design flaw. (Water line into the fridge was designed to freeze solid and we discovered you can only do the hit it with a hairdryer trick so many times before you melt the water line from the heat.)

Our next fridge will either be a Bosch or GE depending on whether the Bosch will fit under the cabinet correctly- it’s something like 1/4 inch too tall according to specs- a previous owner put tile over the original sheet vinyls and changed the height space in a slight buy annoying way- and it should still work in the space but there are no guarantees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida