Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2023, 08:55 AM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times

Advertisements

This is a great reason not to move to Florida. Keep these threads and posts coming and maybe it will stem the flood of people coming here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 09:33 AM

5,128 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
This is a great reason not to move to Florida. Keep these threads and posts coming and maybe it will stem the flood of people coming here.
They say we Boomers don’t peak until 2030 and until then I think we are going to be like locusts looking for that perfect retirement destination. Not quite sure how long Florida will remain affordable in the eyes of the average retiree.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:48 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
They say we Boomers don’t peak until 2030 and until then I think we are going to be like locusts looking for that perfect retirement destination. Not quite sure how long Florida will remain affordable in the eyes of the average retiree.
The Baby Boom ended in 1964. It started in 1946. The youngest baby boomer will be 66 years old in 2030. The oldest baby boomer will be 84 years old in 2030. The vast majority of Baby Boomers are already retired. We hit our peak for "becoming" retired, as a generation, ten years ago.

Old 07-26-2023, 02:04 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I think it already has. The last round of population numbers in 2022 had Florida netting a 1.9% increase in population. I would bet heavily that it's now close to zero net growth after DeSantis's stunts and runaway inflation on rental housing costs as well.

Old 07-26-2023, 02:33 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Florida is the second highest state with over 65's.....

so how much is growth...and how much is replacement....is hard to figure

for the past few years..Florida has rated at the top, or near the top from growth...just holding it's own it's still way ahead of the rest

Old 07-26-2023, 05:09 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We just received a notice from a company that works for our homeowners insurance company that they need to complete another home inspection.

They requested one in 2017. We are currently in mid policy paid in full.

We have been here in northeast Florida for 34 years and having just retired we are wondering if it is going to come to a point where homeowners insurance and flood insurance is going to eat into our retirement income to much in the very near future.

I know this is part of the cost of living near the coast but so many people signed up for that roof replacement scam in our area I know that contributed a lot to this hot mess in Florida.

We have friends moving out of our area due to the rapid growth, taxes, homeowners insurance and flood insurance.

It’s planted a few seeds in our minds but we thought we were in our final home.

Anyone else thinking insurance costs might become too much of a drain on their income or retirement income?

Been saying this for 10 years.

But every time I post anything "negative" about Florida's cost of living I am attacked.

It's pretty obvious that Florida is becoming another California (in terms of cost of living).

Old 07-26-2023, 07:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Florida is the second highest state with over 65's.....

so how much is growth...and how much is replacement....is hard to figure

for the past few years..Florida has rated at the top, or near the top from growth...just holding it's own it's still way ahead of the rest
The frustrating thing is that the inbound seniors don’t want to work, and a lot of the 1,000 folks a day who leave Florida are in peak employment years. (The ‘1,000 new Floridians every day is net and has typically worked out to 2,000 people coming into the state and 1,000 leaving every day)

It’s a really unattractive employment market and cost of living equation for under-40s where I live, which is an age cohort that does a lot of essential things to keep the lights on, and a lot of them are heading for Atlanta or the Carolinas where they feel like they’ve got a better shot at actually getting ahead in life. And I’m seeing it happening in the white collar realm as well because too many employers are still ‘paying in sunshine’ and sunshine doesn’t cover increases in rent or mortgage costs.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:57 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Been saying this for 10 years.

But every time I post anything "negative" about Florida's cost of living I am attacked.

It's pretty obvious that Florida is becoming another California (in terms of cost of living).
Why do you stay in Florida if you are so unhappy here? You have 2 other cities listed on your profile, if I was as unhappy as you are I'd certainly leave. I'm sorry you are so down about Florida.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:12 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Why do you stay in Florida if you are so unhappy here? You have 2 other cities listed on your profile, if I was as unhappy as you are I'd certainly leave. I'm sorry you are so down about Florida.

Blah blah blah. Here we go again! Attack attack attack me. Instead of addressing the topic.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:19 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Blah blah blah. Here we go again! Attack attack attack me. Instead of addressing the topic.
How is asking you this question attacking you? I can't address the insurance industry or the electric company, have you done so in the past? What are you doing to address it instead of simply complaining on city-data? Serious question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida