Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 PM

792 posts, read 2,293,453 times

Advertisements

The truth about this oil spill is going to continue to come out. From the massively under reported amounts of oil spewing from the well head, to the unexpected health consequences.

As the well itself continues to deteriorate and the oil itself begins lapping up on the tampa bay area beaches, it is going to bring a myriad of problems our way. It is my belief that there is a strong possibility, that people could be forced to evacuate from gulf beach areas.

If you've been thinking about moving here, you might want to find another destination.

I've been following a lot of researchers who are studying the oil spill very carefully and the information is truly dire and frightening.

Florida and the entire gulf is going to be literally ruined for a long, LONG time.

This is a just a heads up for the people who never really watch the news and don't really understand the scope of the situation we are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 PM

214 posts, read 678,820 times
FWIW, they predicted the oil fires set in Kuwait during GW I would burn for years but they got them out in months. This situation is different (obviously) but predictions are tricky things.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 PM

792 posts, read 2,293,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucat78 View Post
I hope the prophets of doom are wrong. Truly.

They predicted the oil fires set in Kuwait during GW I would burn for years but they got them out in months. Perhaps somebody will get a handle on this current situation.
I live about 2 miles from the beach. So yeah, I hope they are wrong too.

But, everything I read, tells me that it's worse than what is being reported. Especially if you go to the oil drilling forums and read the stuff from the guys who actually work in the industry.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 PM

147 posts, read 354,801 times
I'm thinking about canceling our vacation plans for St Pete this summer.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:58 PM

794 posts, read 1,861,943 times
This is such an Irresponsible post on so many levels......

Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 911,150 times
BP will not exist as a company in probably 4 months. The U.S. taxpayers are going to be on the hook to cleanup this mess.

However, technology changes. If we actually come together as a nation and clean up BP's mess, we should be fine.

The problem is we don't come together as a nation on anything except warmongering.

Our priorities must change. Our money must be spent in America, not in foreign places.

The Gov't should kick BP off of this thing and take total control. We need to see Supertankers in the Gulf, sucking this oil up from the surface, and figure out a way to suck it up from deep in the water, before it has a chance to rise up and wash up on a coastline.

We're not seeing aggressive tactics by either BP or the Gov't. BP acts like this is no big deal, that "oh, well, we'll get to it when we get to it" kind of attitude. Very laissez-faire.

If it reaches Tampa beaches than it will be on its way to the Keys.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,308,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughMcs View Post
I'm thinking about canceling our vacation plans for St Pete this summer.
Don't do that. The oil is nowhere near the Bay Area at this point. Maybe later, but not now. Don't ruin a fine trip due to speculation.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:13 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
Every spill prediction map I have seen show it missing Tampa thanks to the current. Either way, 22 more days and I am headed to Tampa.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:04 AM

188 posts, read 938,711 times
I'm just hoping that this oil spill doesn't make the U.S. like the Niger Delta Oil industry has brought poverty and pollution to Niger Delta | Amnesty International it's horrible what the oil spills has done to that region. BP's real damage will not be known for years and I'm afraid that it will effect the oceans food chain in a major way. Just became the oil doesn't come directly to the beaches doesn't mean the area will not be damaged by it.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:36 AM

209 posts, read 538,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
I live about 2 miles from the beach. So yeah, I hope they are wrong too.

But, everything I read, tells me that it's worse than what is being reported. Especially if you go to the oil drilling forums and read the stuff from the guys who actually work in the industry.
Where are those forums? I'd be interested in reading them. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida