Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: cost of living, tax help, market, retirement, home prices.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:03 PM

132 posts, read 427,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I actually love living in Florida. My husband is a native and from Miami. He does not speak Spanish and gotten along just fine. We are friendly people and you will find most natives are.

A lot of us have families and are busy with them. I have all my family here except my daughter who moved to NYC last year. (However, she begs to come home every once in a while if I pay the air fare).

I have been to California and my husband and I love Healdsburg, SF and LaJolla. I know there are other parts that are beautiful too.

It's funny, though, lately, my husband keeps saying how much he is glad we live where we do. Everything is within 5 minutes of must-do stuff.

Where are you in Cali?
I am in Sacramento... and La Jolla ROCKS! That place is beautiful... I also love the beach life of Santa Monica... all of which I cannot afford... so to have the opportunity to be near beautiful beaches without sawing off an arm and a leg... I think that is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 01:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
"(2) Receiving a paycheck that is without question of a doubt going to continue for a coupla years and a contingency plan for if that paycheck stops....then of course you will have a successful move. Because climate and other quality of life issues are irrelevant, you'll have a little break from CA in FL and move on. IF you have the money."

OP maybe I didn't word that clearly. My point was you'll have a successful move no matter what happens if your paycheck stops and you have a contingency plan...because if that should happen climate and fun etc will be the least of your problems without a backup plan. you'll be worrying about rent and food not climate.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:06 PM

132 posts, read 427,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
"(2) Receiving a paycheck that is without question of a doubt going to continue for a coupla years and a contingency plan for if that paycheck stops....then of course you will have a successful move. Because climate and other quality of life issues are irrelevant, you'll have a little break from CA in FL and move on. IF you have the money."

OP maybe I didn't word that clearly. My point was you'll have a successful move no matter what happens if your paycheck stops and you have a contingency plan...because if that should happen climate and fun etc will be the least of your problems without a backup plan. you'll be worrying about rent and food not climate.
That goes for any where that you live, not just Florida... and I have been there... not fun... so on that I will agree...

Old 06-28-2008, 07:21 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Heyyyyyyy,

Florida is really getting to be an interesting place!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,373362,00.htm (broken link)

Now what do you have to say?

I am just trying to have a sense of humor with this one.
It came from main stream news.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Ten bucks an hour is plenty for me to support TWO people on. You read that right, she doesn't work outside the home, has no income of her own. And I live in Florida too.

Home ownership? No interest.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:09 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Heyyyyyyy,

Florida is really getting to be an interesting place!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,373362,00.htm (broken link)

Now what do you have to say?

I am just trying to have a sense of humor with this one.
It came from main stream news.
That link is dead.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
That link is dead.
They moved it. Here it is. I was trying to lighten the conversation a little. It was getting pretty intense. This is may change it up a bit.

FOXNews.com - Ancient Japanese 'Naked Sushi' Tradition Catches On in Florida - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Old 06-29-2008, 06:50 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B to the T View Post
OK... so I am a Cali guy who has yet to move to or live in Florida (just visits) but this might all soon change... but I have been warned by others and have read on here so many people complaining about property tax and the high cost of living etc... let me share a few things with you from where I am at, maybe the FLHaters will see things differently

State income Tax
California has it... Florida does not
Win goes to FL

Sales Tax
CA avg 7.25%
FL avg 6%
Win goes to FL

Fuel tax per gallon
CA $0.639
FL $0.516
Win goes to FL

Combined Tax burden ranking 2007 (State/Local/Federal... #1 being the worst)
CA 8th
FL 12th
Win goes to FL

Nuff said?
If you have money and want to get creative with a property, you could really do some cool things in Florida for sure.

Last edited by the_pines; 06-29-2008 at 06:58 AM..

Old 06-29-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
If you have money to spend, Florida is hands down the no-brainer choice of the two. You could landscape your yard to look like a bonzai beach or something. Put hanging baskets in the Florida oaks. Bring in white sand to cover your yard. Make your house with plenty of windows for an open airy, beachy feel. You could have citrus trees all over just like in California. If you have money and want to get artsy and creative with a property, you could really do some cool things in Florida for sure.
That is a great idea! I bet you don't have to spend a lot of money in order to plant a citrus tree or two.

It doesn't have to be a tree, but be a little creative and you can add/make your own "paradise". A little effort will help make it worthwhile, you'll enjoy it more, it will pass the time, and may bring a smile to your neighbors.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Ten bucks an hour is plenty for me to support TWO people on. You read that right, she doesn't work outside the home, has no income of her own. And I live in Florida too.

Home ownership? No interest.

LOL, it is always the people that come from the north with tons of money that tell everybody else in Florida that 10 bucks is enough to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida