Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:42 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,906 times

Advertisements

I must be in a different state of Florida because so far my kids are doing well in school, have good caring teachers, and really like and feel safe in their schools and neighborhood. My subdivision is very well maintained and thank God have had no issues with crime or sex offenders. I'm not saying they don't exist....but the entire state? Come on now, be a little realistic. People come here looking for real advice not scary generalizations. This state is just too big to give it such a bad rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:15 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
So very true. Between the poor schools and sex offenders everywhere, it's just not a nice place for children. Here's 2 helpful links : FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators and National Sex Offender Registry.
You've got to be kidding me. LIke FL is the only place with sex offenders. I left FL a year ago to come to the so-called "great Midwest" and I can pull up just as many sex offenders with my zip code up here on the registry as I can in FL, the scary thing is I now live in a town that has about 10% of the population as where I lived in FL. And poor schools? Again the Midwest is supposed to be so elite and superior? If that is so true why does this whole region have the nickname "the rustbelt". You'd think if they are all so damn smart up here they would've figured out by now how to build cars and manufacture products that are of equal quality and price to compete with foriegners. Ain't so.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Florida public schools are ranked 29th in the country. Pa. public schools are ranked 10th.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:49 PM

727 posts, read 1,837,530 times
Quote:
So very true. Between the poor schools and sex offenders everywhere, it's just not a nice place for children. Here's 2 helpful links : FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators and National Sex Offender Registry.

that's unfortunately accurate. a lot of sex offenders, even teachers getting arrested for pot, cops having sex with prostitutes while on duty, i mean, i like fla (born and raised) but it has attracted a lot of the wrong people. and i hate to see it like this b/c i like my state and i defend it, but it is true that for kids, it isnt the best place.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:51 PM

727 posts, read 1,837,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
You've got to be kidding me. LIke FL is the only place with sex offenders. I left FL a year ago to come to the so-called "great Midwest" and I can pull up just as many sex offenders with my zip code up here on the registry as I can in FL, the scary thing is I now live in a town that has about 10% of the population as where I lived in FL. And poor schools? Again the Midwest is supposed to be so elite and superior? If that is so true why does this whole region have the nickname "the rustbelt". You'd think if they are all so damn smart up here they would've figured out by now how to build cars and manufacture products that are of equal quality and price to compete with foriegners. Ain't so.
FL has over 30,000 sex offenders if i remember right, which was more than any other state.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:25 PM

130 posts, read 175,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I must be in a different state of Florida because so far my kids are doing well in school, have good caring teachers, and really like and feel safe in their schools and neighborhood. My subdivision is very well maintained and thank God have had no issues with crime or sex offenders. I'm not saying they don't exist....but the entire state? Come on now, be a little realistic. People come here looking for real advice not scary generalizations. This state is just too big to give it such a bad rep.
Thank you for two very nice responses. Like you I just wanted to get handle on it and get different ideas from different perspectives.
Of course I see more negatives then positives and I expected that from reading before I posted this question.

Your post have given me the encouragement to do tons of research before I do anything and I will.
The most important sentence from you was the fact that all the negatives you read here were found out to be all wrong.
I understand I need to do my homework, spend time in Florida which I will do before making any solid move, I have already lived in the south and have missed it since we returned here.

Yes, we have a 10 year old, we have checked with a current teacher who has a sister teaching in the Tampa area and she said that she would put her 5th graders against any in the country and that the school systems are just like everywhere else, you get out what you and your kids put into it.

My list would be short I think as I already know enough about many of the other issues.
Education would be no. 1
Safety and housing no. 2
And so on.

Things that do not bother me at all, heat, love it hot. Traffic, try to drive in Cincinnati Ohio at 5 pm on Friday nights, you will become a Nascar driver real quick.
Cost of living, cheaper for us to live in Florida with the tax structure and cost of living expenses. If we live in a similar home, similar way of life we will be money ahead by living in Florida because of taxes, COL expenses etc.

If I am reading right, so everyone here says that the heat, taxes, schools, jobs and traffic are a problem.
Heat is what we want, no more snow.
Taxes, cheaper for me in Florida.
Schools, I have checked schools close to Margels area and her schools our perform most all schools in my own district here in Ohio.
Jobs, already lined up even with a small raise to boot.
Traffic, does not bother us at all. It cannot be any worse in Florida then most of the cities we have lived in.
We have spent considerable amount of time in Florida in our lifetime and towns such as Charlotte, Indianapolis, Cincy, Cols, Philly have much worse traffic then any town we travel in Florida to.
The bottle neck in Florida for me was always on I-4 close to Tampa but I always go back and forth to the beach and Disney with making sure more time as needed.

I appreciate all inputs, I especially appreciate many of you who have told me specifics to look into and for Margel and the others who said we need to research and spend time in Florida, I think what we will do is rent and move to Florida a week after school is out and live there in Florida for the summer months and not sell our home until everyone likes to the place we pick.

We love the heat, the water, the year aorund life of warm weather, we lived in the south for a while and have regretted it since we moved back.
Sick of the cold, the snow, sick ice and living inside for months on end during the winter.
We love outdoor sports and cannot do it here in the cold.

One thing is for sure, the only reason we came back to the cold was for family reason, now we realize that you cannot make yourself and your immediate family miserable just so they can see family once a week when about every single one of them could not wait to come to Florida to see us and be warm and close the the ocean.

We are heading to Florida in the future and appreciate more input as to areas of interest.

We love outdoor sports, good schools and will go private if needed, we love to be central, close to Disney, Busch, etc. Family areas in smaller spots like 20-40 miles outside of major cities preferrably.

Probably will not look much more south then maybe Port Charlotte across to Jupiter area.

Any input would be appreciated, positive or negative is fine with me.

What I cannot get myself to understand is if it is so miserable in Florida then why in the world does everyone still live there and why does everyone want or cannot wait to move to Florida.

We are miserable here and we are leaving as soon as we can. Hopefully this will be the last winter for us here.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:56 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going-2-Florida View Post
What I cannot get myself to understand is if it is so miserable in Florida then why in the world does everyone still live there
A lot of us are trapped here. It's easy to move here but hard to get out due to the poor wages.

Quote:
and why does everyone want or cannot wait to move to Florida.
They don't know any better. They think living in Florida is like vacationing here. It is 2 complete different things. They want warm winters and neglect the more important things in life. The negative posters here are being honest with you. We are NOT realtors like so many of the positive posters. We have nothing to lose by telling the truth.

Quote:
We are miserable here and we are leaving as soon as we can. Hopefully this will be the last winter for us here.
Please post back after a year and I'll personally welcome you to the "Negative Nelly club" . None of us nellies originally wanted to join the club but after living here for a while we want to warn people from making the same mistake that we did.

Best of luck to you and your family .

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 11-03-2008 at 07:07 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Trapped

Quote:
A lot of us are trapped here. It's easy to move here but hard to get out due to the poor wages.

They don't know any better. They think living in Florida is like vacationing here. It is 2 complete different things. They want warm winters and neglect the more important things in life. The negative posters here are being honest with you. We are NOT realtors like so many of the positive posters. We have nothing to lose by telling the truth.

Please post back after a year and I'll personally welcome you to the "Negative Nelly club" . None of us nellies originally wanted to join the club but after living here for a while we want to warn people from making the same mistakes that we did.

Best of luck to you and your family .
Yes. That very accurately describes my situation. Trapped here.

As far as the schools, my kids are grown, thank goodness. I would never raise them here. However, I have worked in the schools elsewhere and now work here. I also work at what is consider an A+ school. Sorry, I don't think so. It would be a C school in comparison to where I used to work.

I won't go on about the schools. It has been discussed endlessly before and by posters who also work in the school system and have come from various other places. We all say the same thing. Nobody ever believes us.

So be it.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:14 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,906 times
Keep an open mind and find out for yourself. Like everything else in life you will find the negatives and the positives. Find out which outweigh the other for you and your family. Best of luck to you. I hope you are as happy in Florida as I am.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Keep an open mind and find out for yourself. Like everything else in life you will find the negatives and the positives. Find out which outweigh the other for you and your family. Best of luck to you. I hope you are as happy in Florida as I am.
Margel, I am happy to say that I live in YOUR Florida! For me, this is paradise - and I say this as a native!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida