Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: real estate, taxes, condo, hurricane data, homeowners insurance.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 AM

39 posts, read 34,330 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Florida soon. There seems to be a lot of pent-up anger by some Floridians; one poster even offered to run naked through the streets banging pots and pans to get people to take notice of the issues. Depending on the poster, this may or may not be a good thing.

Can someone help me, new to FL, understand what the top few issues are? Is it mostly collapsing real estate prices? Are there other big issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 AM

99 posts, read 308,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Spaulding View Post
I'm moving to Florida soon. There seems to be a lot of pent-up anger by some Floridians; one poster even offered to run naked through the streets banging pots and pans to get people to take notice of the issues. Depending on the poster, this may or may not be a good thing.

Can someone help me, new to FL, understand what the top few issues are? Is it mostly collapsing real estate prices? Are there other big issues?

Increasing taxes, increasing insurance rates, lack of affordable housing, stagnant wages, and sub-par schools. This is only my opinion.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomom View Post
Increasing taxes, increasing insurance rates, lack of affordable housing, stagnant wages, and sub-par schools. This is only my opinion.
Which taxes? Must be property taxes;I don't think you have an income tax in FL. Sales tax?

Old 08-24-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Which taxes? Must be property taxes;I don't think you have an income tax in FL. Sales tax?

Sorry for the general term. Yes, property taxes. We don't have a state income tax; but the fallacy in that is starting to show. Again, my opinion only.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomom View Post
Sorry for the general term. Yes, property taxes. We don't have a state income tax; but the fallacy in that is starting to show. Again, my opinion only.
Let's say a condo in Miami that runs $700K or so...what might the property taxes be on that?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
As a not very bitter recent former Floridian, the big issues for me were:

1. Salaries that were not keeping up with what it was costing me to live. I had a good job. I bought my house in the late 1990's. Utilities, especially electricity kept going up, up, up despite decreased usage on my part. I understand the fuel increses/hurricane damage/blah, blah, blah. Employers tend to give raises that for an hourly employee amount to $10-15/week before taxes. That does not fill my gas tank.

2. Huge increases in homeowner's insurance without having filed a claim. First renewal after Charley I had a 75% increase in premium. Second renewal was an additional 65%.

For the average work-a-day person who is living paycheck to paycheck the combination of the two things was putting me under really fast. I was having to buy groceries with a credit card more and more because I simply did not have enough money after I paid my mortgage, utilities, car insurance, and put gas in my car. At that point I did not own a computer, so no internet bill. Also no cell phone, no eating out, no having hair or nails done. Only new clothes when I got gift certificates for holidays.

The feeling of working so hard and spinning your wheels and sinking deeper was too much. I had refinanced twice, trying to stay on top of it. I made the choice to break the cycle, lose the stress and start over somewhere else.

I can't speak for anyone else, just me. All of the sunny days in the world don't pay the bills. The sun shines here in SC, too.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 AM

52 posts, read 302,277 times
Default Jeffrey

You mantioned a condo in Miami!!!???
Now, why in the world would you even consider such horrible way of living???
I just don't understand how people can be so different..
Hei, that box, i mean condo, will cost you SOOOO much in taxes and HO fees, that you'll be back where you were originally in a minute.
But I do whish you the very best of luck! for any decision.....

Old 08-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milano View Post
You mantioned a condo in Miami!!!???
Now, why in the world would you even consider such horrible way of living???
I just don't understand how people can be so different..
Hei, that box, i mean condo, will cost you SOOOO much in taxes and HO fees, that you'll be back where you were originally in a minute.
But I do whish you the very best of luck! for any decision.....
What's HO tax?

I am moving to Miami but the reference to a condo is only one option. I just thought living on the beach might be nice. Other alternatives are a place in Coconut grove, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables etc. Your thoughts on the topic are welcome.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Let's say a condo in Miami that runs $700K or so...what might the property taxes be on that?
According to the Miami-Dade property appraiser's website, approx $16,930.00. Not including any addiditional city taxes.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
What's HO tax?

I am moving to Miami but the reference to a condo is only one option. I just thought living on the beach might be nice. Other alternatives are a place in Coconut grove, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables etc. Your thoughts on the topic are welcome.

I think he means homeowner's or condo association fee. That is in addition to whatever else you're paying and is commonly a monthly fee of several hundred dollars.

In the areas you're thinking of purchasing, 700k will most likely only get you a condo.

Last edited by chocomom; 08-24-2006 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: additional info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida