Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,580 times

Advertisements

My boyfriends company is re-locating to Lakeland. We are currently an hour away from there. We live in Pasco county and actually live in an apartment complex that accepts restricted breeds. I have searched for weeks now calling hundreds of realtors trying to find a single family house to rent. As soon as they hear pitbulls they are quick to just say no and hang up. Just to inform you its not the animals its the owners. Mine are well trained and well behaved. I would never just get rid of them because they are a part of my family as my daughter is. So if anyone owns a pitbull and happens to be renting a house could you please lend me your realtors name? It would be greatly apprectiated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,510 times
i have the same problem!! looking for an apartment to rent in lakeland that allows pits. i have two.. one is a 1 yr old neutered male puppy, and the other is his 3 yr old mom. they are both the sweetest dogs but everywhere i go they are restricted.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
They are restricted for a reason.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
A landlord would have to be close to insane to knowingly rent to the owner of pit bulls. If your dog would bite or injure a person, or another animal, the landlord could be liable for the damages. If he/she has homeowner's insurance, his insurance may cover the damages.... many companies have provisions contained within the policy that will disallow coverage if dangerous breed dogs are involved.... there is no way that he/she can vouch for the safety of your dog(s). Even if he/she does have an insurance company willing to write a policy to cover the damages, why should he/she risk the potential loss of coverage or higher premiums because you have chosen a pet that is capable of seriously injuring or killing?

There really isn't a sound reason for a landlord to take upon the kind of risk that you are asking. Potential renters may hope for ignorance, apathy, or indifference on the part of the potential landlord, but the cost/risk of renting to pit bull owners is something a reasonable landlord can live without.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I'm sorry to tell you this, but most insurance won't allow pitbulls - that is why you will be hard-pressed to find a landlord willing to rent to you. I have to agree with everything in RetiredCoach's post regarding this matter.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:32 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessheatherrr View Post
My boyfriends company is re-locating to Lakeland. We are currently an hour away from there. We live in Pasco county and actually live in an apartment complex that accepts restricted breeds. I have searched for weeks now calling hundreds of realtors trying to find a single family house to rent. As soon as they hear pitbulls they are quick to just say no and hang up. Just to inform you its not the animals its the owners. Mine are well trained and well behaved. I would never just get rid of them because they are a part of my family as my daughter is. So if anyone owns a pitbull and happens to be renting a house could you please lend me your realtors name? It would be greatly apprectiated.
You will probably have to rent a house. I would not rent to dogs anyway, but an apartment house with other tenants. I could not in my wildest dreams rent to someone with a pitbull. And no song and dance about pitbulls. I have had pitbulls before anyone knew what they were. If something happened with that dog I would be the deepest pocket and the one they would go after. I would have to have my head examined to do something that stupid.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
This is why no one wants to rent to someone with pit bulls:

Pit bulls attack woman, kill her small dog - Breaking News - Bradenton.com (http://www.bradenton.com/news/breaking_news/story/1479654.html - broken link)

Also, when I was a kid the people across the street had a pit bull - I saw him get out and severely maul an older woman walking down the street. That dog also killed my pet cat, and after I buried it, the dog dug him up! I seriously despise those dogs, and most people I know do as well.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:05 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
They type of dog aside all you have to do is get insurance for the dog and sign a release of responsibility to the landlord

Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
I looked at my copy and I have a tenant that has a 2 mil policy for their dog and it runs him about 1800 a year

Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
When I called various insurance companies about buying and insuring a rental house for tenants, some of them told me they wouldn't insure at all if those breeds were present. That's probably the reason why. But maybe you could try what tworent is recommending--I wasn't aware that you could do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida