Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanna20 View Post
Hey there. I live in the D.C. area and get to retire in a couple of years. I've read so many negative postings about the Florida area but remain convinced that I'll be happy there. Here's why I think so - though I'd be curious to know your thoughts:

(Oh, btw, I'm leaning toward the Tampa/Clearwater area at this point):

- Weather (yeah, I know, it's why everyone moves there): I HATE the cold. Not just the cold of winter -- but I even think a lot of the days of spring and fall are just too darn cold. In fact, the only season I adore in the D.C. area is summer. On several occassions, when I have said how heavenly it felt outside (high humidity and high temps); my friends have said I was insane and that it felt like an absolute OVEN.
- Employment (wouldn't be an issue as I wouldn't be moving until retirement.) Also, I am studying to be a medical transcriptionist -- something that can be done from home after I retire. It is all done via email so I can do that anywhere in the country. I have a good retirement coming to me anyway, but it will give me something to do and supplement the retirement check. From what I hear, retirement living always costs more than you expect it to.
- Housing - I live in one of the most expensive areas of the country. You can't find a decent condo for under $250,000. Even if flood insurance is high in some places (and I will of course take this into consideration when choosing specific neighborhoods) -- my housing will be a lot less.
- Taxes - people talk about how high the property taxes are in much of Florida. Well again, I live in Northern Virginia in an area that is heavily taxed.
- Schools - I hear the schools are, for the most part, lousy in Florida. This won't affect me as I don't have kids.
- Traffic - I hear traffic is terrible in much of Tampa -- especially around rush hour. But also hear it can't compare to the D.C. area which is worse.
- Transplants - People say that Florida folk aren't that friendly and that they are mostly transplants. Well, almost the entire D.C. area is transplants -- I'm one of the few natives. I actually like that people are from all over in that they have different perspectives and aren't all cut from the same mold. No, they aren't friendly to strangers -- but as long as you meet them in the right environment (such where you share a common interest) -- people are people and you are able to make friends.
- Crowded - Tampa area is crowded; but so is Northern Virginia (wall to wall people and cars).
- Culture - D.C. area has museums and a lot of culture - though to be honest I don't partake of it often enough to make much of a difference. Just go to an exhibit or something once or twice a year. I'm sure the Tampa area could manage to fulfill that.

Why I am leaning toward Tampa area: well, I have visited it several times and think it is gorgeous. (Yes, of course there are ugly areas -- I've seen some of them. Don't forget that Northern Virginia has it's share of illegal aliens and run down areas as well.) After growing up in a metropolitan area (20 mins outside of D.C.), I am certain I would go crazy living in a small town anywhere in America. I've been spoiled by almost never ending access to shopping, restaurants and general conveniences that a city has to offer.

I'm also a huge profootball fan. The D.C. area is NUTS over the Redskins (even though they have been sad for years) and I happen to love the Buccs in addition to the skins.

Only concern I have is hurricanes. Yes, I understand Tampa hasn't had big hits but that doesn't mean there can't be one in the near future. I've repeatedly read that no where in Florida is safe from hurricanes. I'm thinking though, as long as I know that risk, and buy newer construction (in terms of stricter housing codes) - I should be pretty safe. It's not like I'm going to be hit by a flying trailer or anything!! If evacuation is recommended - I'd just do it like everyone else. I don't fear the hurricane as much as wonder how on earth you get the minor repairs done after one. There are only so many workers to go around...

Guess that's all for now. Do you think I've taken all of the large things into consideration?
Yes you have and the best part is housing is becoming affordable again.

You will love it, we moved here a year ago and we are living the "Florida lifestyle". lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 01:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default I know where I want to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
TANaples,
I have a beautiful home on three acres of land here in NY that can be all yours in a couple of years if you like. Heck, I'll even throw in the snowblower....it's a great winter hobby.

Frank D.
There is a 55+ community (single family houses) on LI. The have a clubhouse, pool, tennis courts, and 18 hole golf course. As of now, the 2 bedroom/2 bath houses are going for the low $200,000s. With a STAR exemption ($60,000 max income) the taxes are around $5,000 a year. For the $200 a month HOA fees, they will not only mow, but rake leaves, and shovel your driveway (and roads). I don't know the land sq. foot there, but it is a HELL OF A LOT bigger than what we have here. If I don't want to drive in the snow to go shopping, they have a free bus to the supermarket.

We paid $285,000 for our 2 bedroom here. Our taxes are $4,500. You don't want to know what our HOA fees are. Let me just say we are paying almost a $1,000 a year for "meals" at the clubhouse, whether we want to use that or not.

My younger daughter will be about 20 miles away in her new home and I will still be only a ride on the RR to Manhattan whenever I want to go.

Retirement. This is what I want to retire to.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:48 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Carolanna you will be perfect for Florida.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 AM

9 posts, read 27,962 times
Thanks for all the great replies! I do think I'll be happy there. When I retire, I'll be just 51 - so I won't qualify for a retirement community. Besides, I like being where there a variety of people. As it is right now, I have friends of all ages -- some of which are 20 years younger.

In terms of the warnings about the hottest months and staying active - it seems like I definitely think it is important to take care. When it is broiling days - talk a walk in the morning or play tennis at night!

Re: the suggestion of being a 911 operator -- I can't think of anything less I'd like to do. I care about people; but talk about STRESS! What if I made a mistake?!! Nope, Medical Transcription is much more my cup of tea. (Different strokes for different folks.) I really look forward to volunteering in Florida as well. I love doing community service work (working at food pantry's for needy, etc.) and hope to become a staple volunteer with Habitat for Humanity. So - never fear - I won't only be taking from the Florida beauty. Hopefully, I'll return some good things as well! )

Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
Newer construction?

My parents house was built in 1967 on Merritt Island - only hurricane changes I would make are the windows - house has been through a few, they have lost trees and some trim but - those old concrete block one story homes are solid.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 AM

51 posts, read 129,758 times
An earlier post suggested Tampa would not be a good fit for a retiree due to it being too fast paced etc....I disagree: My father lived in a slow, 55+ type community in Delray Beach and could not stand it; made him feel 85+ and depressed. He recently relocated to Miami Beach and could not be happier. He loves seeing all the activity on the streets, and the overall younger vibe of the area has really rejuvenated his lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida