Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM

831 posts, read 2,438,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Every county in NJ has a sales tax rate of 7%.
Florida is at 6% with each county choosing if they want to add up to 1.5% to that.
Only 3 counties are at 7.5%, 19 are between 6-6.5% and the rest are at 7%
So about 30% of the counties are lower, 4.4% are higher and the rest are the same.

The property taxes were rated by percentage not total dollar amount of taxes.
It seems to me that having the highest tax rate on the highest property values puts an even greater burden on those homeowners. Thanks for pointing that out.
NJ has a 3.5% state sales tax, but every municipality in New Jersey also charges an additional 3.5% sales tax, resulting in a total tax rate of 7% throughout the state, with the exception of "Urban Enterprise Zones". In Urban Enterprise Zones, the State waives its 3.5% tax to encourage economic development

I think you need to adjust your figures
19 are between 6-6.6%
5 are at 7.5%
leaving the remaining 43 counties at 7%. Again my point how is "most of Florida lower then NJ"

Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Mrs.P

I understand. You know what you like and dislike. Unfortunately many that post here feel that if they dislike an area then everyone else must dislike that area. They then make gross misrepresentations of that area.

You put it in a way that most can understand. Whereas you say you could not find any food that you could tolerate, other say that there is only fried food in Florida.

That is the difference between an opinion and posting untrue facts. I am sure you will find your perfect place when others are still looking for theirs since they only deal in wholesale generalizations.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
NJ has a 3.5% state sales tax, but every municipality in New Jersey also charges an additional 3.5% sales tax, resulting in a total tax rate of 7% throughout the state, with the exception of "Urban Enterprise Zones". In Urban Enterprise Zones, the State waives its 3.5% tax to encourage economic development

I think you need to adjust your figures
19 are between 6-6.6%
5 are at 7.5%
leaving the remaining 43 counties at 7%. Again my point how is "most of Florida lower then NJ"

I have since then restated, "So I should have said that the Jersey sales tax rate was equal to or higher than most of Florida. No where near the faulty info served up by others."

Leon, Monroe, Madison, Jackson and Escambia are at 7.5%
8 counties are at 6%
1 at 6.25%
10 are at 6.5%
43 are at 7%

To put this in another light, Tax Freedom Day is the day of the year when when Americans finally have earned enough money to pay off their total tax bill for the year. In 2008, New Jersey taxpayers had to work until May 7th to pay their total tax bill, ranking them 2nd highest in the nation. This is two weeks later than national Tax Freedom Day (April 23).

Florida's Tax Freedom Day was April 26th.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 AM

Here are a few other highlights from The Tax Foundation.

"New Jersey Property Taxes: Highest Per Capita in the Nation"

"New Jersey's State/Local Tax Burden Highest in Nation"

"New Jersey's 2008 Business Tax Climate Ranks 49th "

Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 AM

263 posts, read 575,049 times
Mrs. P, a big reason why you are leaving NC/SC is b/c of rude people, then FL is not the place for you. You have to have thick skin if you want to live in FL. Especially if you think NC/SC folks are rude. Not all of FL is like this of course, but a large portion of it is. But you know that hillbillies and southern culture are also in FL too, and so atleast you know what areas can provide a "midwestern feel with nice, friendly people" and what areas are similar to NC/SC. With that being said, I'd stay away from Northern FL and parts of Central FL. If you think people are rude in NC/SC, I definitely urge you to stay away from Tampa, Naples and almost all of SW FL, Orlando and Southeast FL for sure... so you are definitely limited.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I have since then restated, "So I should have said that the Jersey sales tax rate was equal to or higher than most of Florida. No where near the faulty info served up by others."

To put this in another light, Tax Freedom Day is the day of the year when when Americans finally have earned enough money to pay off their total tax bill for the year. In 2008, New Jersey taxpayers had to work until May 7th to pay their total tax bill, ranking them 2nd highest in the nation. This is two weeks later than national Tax Freedom Day (April 23).

Florida's Tax Freedom Day was April 26th.
And again how is 19 counties out of 67 considered "most of florida"

We can debate this until we are blue in the face. The bottom line is that we are all entitiled to our own opinions but your maniuplation of peoples words to prove a point is just annoying!

10 STATES WITH THE
HIGHEST TAXES ON THE POOR
Washington17.6%
Florida14.4
Michigan13.3
Illinois13.1
Hawaii12.6
Arizona12.5
New Jersey12.4
New York12.4
Indiana12.2
New Mexico12.1

Old 02-17-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Here are a few other highlights from The Tax Foundation.

"New Jersey Property Taxes: Highest Per Capita in the Nation"

"New Jersey's State/Local Tax Burden Highest in Nation"

"New Jersey's 2008 Business Tax Climate Ranks 49th "

Hmmm do you think this could possibly be because

New Jersey is one of the wealthiest states in the United States of America, with a per capita income of $27,006 (2000) and a personal per capita income of $40,427 (2003). Its median household income is $55,146 (2000), ranked first in the country, and its median family income is $65,370 (2000), the second highest in the country. The median value of an owner-occupied housing unit is $170,800 (2000), ranked fourth in the country. New Jersey has the highest percentage of millionaire residents in the country with 7.12% of New Jersey households having $1 million or more liquid or investible assets, not including equity in homes

Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley
10 STATES WITH THE
HIGHEST TAXES ON THE POOR
Washington17.6%
Florida14.4
Michigan13.3
Illinois13.1
Hawaii12.6
Arizona12.5
New Jersey12.4
New York12.4
Indiana12.2
New Mexico12.1

Taxes on the poor? Awfully weird designation, huh?

Your list there relies on a methodology in which states are designated "regressive" because they have no income tax, but rely on sales and property taxes. Poor people don't tend to buy property, however, and unprepared foods are not taxed, so I really don't know what's so amazingly high or taxing on the "poor." There's no yearly car inspection fees, a car registration fee of about $60/year. That's really all I can think of that I am FORCED to pay each year in a "fee" for the privilege of living here by the state or local government.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That it IS a medical condition just the same as people who go into depression because of cold and lack of light/sun. This is the reverse of that. Do you think they are crazy too? They prescribe sun lamps for those people. I have to stay inside. I had this to a degree up north, but when you are in Florida there is nothing BUT sun and hot temps so it is far far worse. Actually, in my research Summer SAD is more common in climinates like Florida and California. Google it if you don't believe me.
If YOU HAVE this, and just found out about it last week, why are you ripping me for never hearing of it?? And did I say I didn't believe you??? No. I did not. Nor did I ever say people with SAD are crazy. Don't put words in my mouth. And NOW I apologize for trying to be nice about this, where did THAT get me??? Ripped by you and your daughter!
GEEZ!!!
Good-bye!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Hmmm do you think this could possibly be because

New Jersey is one of the wealthiest states in the United States of America, with a per capita income of $27,006 (2000) and a personal per capita income of $40,427 (2003). Its median household income is $55,146 (2000), ranked first in the country, and its median family income is $65,370 (2000), the second highest in the country. The median value of an owner-occupied housing unit is $170,800 (2000), ranked fourth in the country. New Jersey has the highest percentage of millionaire residents in the country with 7.12% of New Jersey households having $1 million or more liquid or investible assets, not including equity in homes

Tax RATES have nothing to do with the wealth of an area. Indeed, the more your property is ASSESSED, the less you actually have to tax to generate the same revenue, and you need less taxes, since wealth also means less money funnelled to social programs and assistance programs.

Town of Palm Beach Island millage rate = 3.72

Town of Boynton Beach (not wealthy, just a normal town) millage rate = 6.85
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida