Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 11:09 AM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
This made me laugh so hard i nearly fell off my chair...wow!

Thanks for the laugh...really...I needed it!

That's such a good way to put it...I had wanted to comment on this--but I didn't want to sound too condescending.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yes some of the responses are laughable.

I know it may be hard to believe but people are different and like different things.

I for one love the heat, I also almost never go to the beach. You have blizzards up north, tornados in the mid west, earthquakes out west. I have never had a dollars worth of damage from a hurricane in almost 20 years in Florida

I know that fried food does not exist up north, we only have it in Florida.

Most people that have a hard time finding friendly people are most likely not friendly people. I have met some of the nicest people in Florida. In my office we have gays, blacks, and bible thumpers but I am none of the above and get along with all of them great.

If you read through the thread you will see many places have a higher property tax rate in addition to higher sales tax, add to that the state income tax and your combined taxes are quite a bit higher.

Wages are no where near the lowest in the country.

One thing I know we do have in Florida is malcontents who like to post in generalizations without many facts but that is getting better because many of them want to leave.
Thank you Mike Peterson for such a great reply to 1948's post. You said it better than I could have!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
One of the best books I have ever read was, "Nickel and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenreich. Barbara actually left her lifesyle of living for awhile to work as unskilled labor in three areas of the country. She wrote about her experiences in this book.

One of the areas she worked in was Key West, FL. Her account was very eye-opening about the wages/cost of living there and the resultant lifesyle. Long story made short, she couldn't make it. The hardships she faced trying are very well written and described.

I highly recommend anyone who is considering moving to Florida to read this book first!
With regards to this post--If you have ever been to Key West you would know that Key West does not represent Florida as a whole. The dynamics of Key West, its location and limited accessability, put it in an entire different category. Telling people that this story represents what life will be like in ALL OF FLORIDA is just plain misleading.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 PM

263 posts, read 574,721 times
Mrs.P, where are you exactly? Rock Hill? Fort Mill?

Old 02-21-2009, 01:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
Mrs.P, where are you exactly? Rock Hill? Fort Mill?

Fort Mill

Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
I beg to differ. Okay instead of holding hands you are a car length apart. You may be talking about Whitestone, Bayside, College Point. But those days are over. Everything is being built higher and narrower and on tope of eachother. You can say you would live here because you don't. I'd really like to see if you came back how long you would last here. I would bet not very long.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:35 PM

It never took you 20 minutes into midtown from Middle Village. There isn't even a train in Middle Village that travels to midtown. You would have to take I think the J to another train to switch again. I live in Woodside and it takes me 30 minutes to get to 42nd and broadway. I would like to know where in Astoria your daughter lives paying that rent? I'm not saying it is untrue, but there are a few factors that I feel may play into her rent.

1. Not such nice area.
2. Rent Stablized building.
3. Basement and/or very small.

I'm not here to argue your opinion of New York, but it is hard to validate your opinion when you still live in Florida. If I disliked a place and was comfortable living somewhere else, I certainly would be proactive in trying to change my living situation. I am doing that right now. I feel strongly about moving to Florida, so I am in the midst of setting all that up. There are pros and cons to every state and area. You have to figure out whether the cons outweigh the pros and if they do than that is a good place for you.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,923 times
I'm with Chelsa on this one. TA is waxing nostalgic about NYC of 50 years ago. Our daughter pays over 5 grand a month in rent in Manhattan. And like I said, she shares a teeny tiny apartment with 3 other people. It was originally a 2 bedroom, which then would be livable. But they divided the living room and made another bedroom, and our daughter's room is a bump up on the roof. She has a spiral staircase to get into her room. And everyone then knows tells them how lucky they are to have it for that price! Sure, she could move to Brooklyn, but then it would be 45 minutes on the train to get back and forth to work! And even though Guiliani really cleaned things up when he became hizzonerdamayor, there is no way I could sleep at night knowing she was on the train at all hours. Where she is now she can walk to work, and the streets are so crowded they're actually safe!
NYC is NOT like you saw on Seinfeld and Friends! 50 years ago maybe, not now!!

Old 02-21-2009, 02:25 PM

No way, It is not FRIENDS OR SEINFELD. I mean did they even really film that in NY. Look, I don't know how long TA has been in Florida, but I have friends who live in Florida and don't love it there, but wouldn't ever come back to NY. They visit and hit the traffic, no parking, cramped apartments, mix of cultures and are like okay we have had enough, I want to go home. Is there a lot to love about both places absolutely! Depending on where you are in your life, you just start to feel differently about the city. I know that I have. I know for sure that this is not where I want to raise my kids. Outside of NY things are generally the same from state to state. So, either you like the simplicity that offers or you like the complexity that NY offers. I'm ready for simple.

I will say TA, I don't think the NY you remember is quite the NY that is today.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:29 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
No way, It is not FRIENDS OR SEINFELD. I mean did they even really film that in NY. Look, I don't know how long TA has been in Florida, but I have friends who live in Florida and don't love it there, but wouldn't ever come back to NY. They visit and hit the traffic, no parking, cramped apartments, mix of cultures and are like okay we have had enough, I want to go home. Is there a lot to love about both places absolutely! Depending on where you are in your life, you just start to feel differently about the city. I know that I have. I know for sure that this is not where I want to raise my kids. Outside of NY things are generally the same from state to state. So, either you like the simplicity that offers or you like the complexity that NY offers. I'm ready for simple.

I will say TA, I don't think the NY you remember is quite the NY that is today.
Yep. we totally agree. And you're also right in that Seinfeld wasn't filmed in New York.
Didn't that always crack you up how none of those people on either of those shows ever seemed to work? And their apartments are HUGE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida