Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 02:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times

Advertisements

I lived on the border of Middle Village and Rego Park, off Woodhaven Blvd near the cemetary. I used to WALK down 63rd Drive and take the train on Queens Blvd. Ok, it took me maybe 10 minutes to walk there if you want to count that time. If you time the trains right, it can be done in 20 minutes. I didn't drive back then. So I either had to walk or take buses. I didn't like waiting for the bus. By the time I did, I could have walked half way there.

My daughter lives near Ditmar's Blvd. She is near where the Steinway Piano factory used to be. There is a bus stop a short walk away, but you can walk to the subway station. It really isn't any farther than my walk was down to Queens Blvd. Her train stop is maybe 4 stops into Manhattan? I didn't count. She could probably give more info than I can. She lives in a private house. Yes, it is in the basement, but the owner also rents the top floor. He lives in the middle apartment. The top floor is rented out too, and yes is a bit more money, but I think it is also bigger than what my daughter has. You can ask her since she posts on her what the rent is up there and how many rooms it is. Her landlord is in his 70s. She said he told her he only wants enough money in rent to help pay his bills. He's not looking to make a profit from this. His mortgage is probably long paid off. My daughter is getting married in July and will be leaving Astoria. They just bought a house in Levittown.

As far as me, I will leave when we can retire. We only came here for my husband's job. As somebody else said, the IT field is not good and hasn't been for some time. My husband, too, lost his job after 9/11. He worked in the data center of a car rental company. When people didn't fly anywhere, they didn't rent cars either. The other time his job was offshored to India. When this company in Florida made him an offer he took it rather than staying and waiting even longer. He was unemployed over a year.

I have said this endlessly on this forum. I lived in Florida when I was 22 years old and came here for a BF, not particarly because I wanted to come to Florida. I hated it, left after 6 months, and never wanted to return. When we can retire, we will go back to Long Island.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:39 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
Oh yes, because they were in the 300$ rent stabilized apartments that were passed down from generations

Old 02-21-2009, 02:47 PM

As far as my Mom's apartment in Chelsea, I could kick myself about that one. I killed the goose that laid the golden egg. She was paying $425 a month, rent control, for a 2 bedroom in a newly converted coop building. She didn't have to move because she was a senior and been living there for 20 years. They came to me and asked if I wanted to buy the apartment. It cost $125,000 in 1988. Now, it is worth over a million dollars. When Mom died in 1993, the President of the Board (Mom's neighbor and friend for over 20 years) asked me if I wanted to keep the apartment and put it in my name. It would have still been under rent control. I was her "heiress" and grew up in that apartment. My rent would have been the same as hers I was told by the Board. I turned them down. Again, I could kick myself.

Yeah, I screwed up a lot, but hindsight is 20/20. I made too many mistakes along the way. Even in my old age, moving to Florida I knew would be a mistake before I even got on that plane. If I hated it at 22, why would suddently LOVE it at 60? Nope. I figure I have about 5 more years to retirement, IF I don't go insane before then. I want to move back to Long Island. I don't want to move to NYC at my age.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,635 times
32 years and counting down the days till we move home it has been 4 years aghhhh

Old 02-22-2009, 12:36 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelchris View Post
32 years and counting down the days till we move home it has been 4 years aghhhh
You have been here 32 years or 4 years?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:19 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelchris View Post
Yet another person calling a previous place they lived HOME.

People, if you call your old place HOME then you never should have left it.

My opinion is where I live is MY HOME. Not where I came from.

If you cannot let go of that old place you call HOME then you surely are in a hole from the start when you move to your new HOME.

Think about it, when we leave Ohio it will not longer be home. HOME is where the heart is and many of you cannot let go of the old place to call your new place home.

If you have lived in Florida 32 years then you wont like the old place because it has changed since you last lived there.

If it has been 4 years then for the life of me if I do not like the location I chose to move to, I guarantee you I wont sit there for 4 years under no circumstances.

I am finding out that most people who moved to Florida from somewhere else made the wrong decision in the first place and did not do your research on the state, town, schools, crime, jobs etc etc. So with that said it is showing me that these Florida haters are a total fault for not liking Florida because of the poor decision making.

I have yet to see one single Florida hater post that they made a mistake by moving to Florida and it was ALL their fault.

Come on people fess up to your mistakes, it is ok, you wont be held lower because of your honesty, for once I would like to see someone finally say "Hey it was my fault, I picked the wrong town etc"

Old 02-22-2009, 05:07 PM

Default It wasn't my fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

People, if you call your old place HOME then you never should have left it.

My opinion is where I live is MY HOME. Not where I came from.

If you cannot let go of that old place you call HOME then you surely are in a hole from the start when you move to your new HOME.

Think about it, when we leave Ohio it will not longer be home. HOME is where the heart is and many of you cannot let go of the old place to call your new place home.

If you have lived in Florida 32 years then you wont like the old place because it has changed since you last lived there.

If it has been 4 years then for the life of me if I do not like the location I chose to move to, I guarantee you I wont sit there for 4 years under no circumstances.

I am finding out that most people who moved to Florida from somewhere else made the wrong decision in the first place and did not do your research on the state, town, schools, crime, jobs etc etc. So with that said it is showing me that these Florida haters are a total fault for not liking Florida because of the poor decision making.

I have yet to see one single Florida hater post that they made a mistake by moving to Florida and it was ALL their fault.

Come on people fess up to your mistakes, it is ok, you wont be held lower because of your honesty, for once I would like to see someone finally say "Hey it was my fault, I picked the wrong town etc"
my husband was out of work for over a year. If his first job offer was in ALASKA, he would have moved there. I just came here because I didn't want to divorce him. I have been married to him for 35 years. We will go "home" in a few years. Yes, we both call NY our HOME. When you are born, raised, and live in a place for over half a century it IS home, especially when you didn't really want to leave it.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 PM

831 posts, read 2,438,474 times
Quote:

Well I'll have to tell you, I have never seen one post, except maybe Tanaples, who stated that it wasn't their fault. I most certainly didn't. I blame myself. I had no idea that it was going to be so different then what I was accustomed to. Really how can anyone, unless you give it a try. I vacationed here my entire life, always dreamed of living here, so instead of saying, could have would have should have, I took the plunge and moved. Its nobodies fault but my own. I made the mistake and have every right to express my opinion and feelings about it.

I think those of you who do love it just take it to heart so much that you can't understand that others may not share your feelings. It doesn't mean your right and we are wrong or visa versa. As you stated home is where the heart is. Ours is just not here. Stop taking it so personal.

Did you ever ask someone where they live in Florida, its usually followed by but I am originally from XYZ State. I wonder why they feel the need to add that. Do they feel they are just living here but its not their true home?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:21 PM

831 posts, read 2,438,474 times
Quote:

Well maybe you have an endless supply of money that allows you to just move.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:33 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,344,190 times
I have been in FL for 7 years, and my husband has been here 14. We are moving back north within the year hopefully. That is not a bash on FL, just moving.
I would recommend anyone giving FL at least 2 years before they make a judgment call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida