Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 PM

831 posts, read 2,438,240 times

Advertisements

I am so jealous of woman up north, you don't have to shave your legs every day. Socks and long pants hide alot :-)

Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Mold, mold, mold...and don't forget that wonderful St. Augustine grass your kids can roll around in barefoot....pollen, pollen, pollen....humidity, humidty, humidity...more sweat, more laundry loads...chlorine for pools, keep your pumps running...solicitors to cut your grass, do your lawn, or every facet of home care....tolls every 2-3 miles....No you don't spend more here, you just get nickle and dimed...
Here's a novel idea...mow your own lawn, take care of your own shrubs and flowers and your own house.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM

326 posts, read 1,170,286 times
[quote=Chelsa1075;7969511]Very different class of Puerto Ricans for the most part, some good and some I just wonder where the hell did you come from. quote]

I think it's safe to say the same goes for all nationalities

Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 AM

460 posts, read 2,344,760 times
What a question! Just jumping in here after being away for a long time. I lived up north for 25 years before moving here to Florida and I am not jealous of those living in the north. No Thank You! I for one, will never be moving back to the cold.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:10 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default When you reach a certain age,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Here's a novel idea...mow your own lawn, take care of your own shrubs and flowers and your own house.
like my husband, you not only don't want to shovel snow anymore, you also don't want to mow the lawn either.

That is why landscapers were created.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:13 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Who says you can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I am so jealous of woman up north, you don't have to shave your legs every day. Socks and long pants hide alot :-)
wear JEANS in Florida?

Old 03-21-2009, 07:34 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
agreed too...

stepping off a plane from spending one summer in northern europe... then landing in Orlando in August..., it seriously made me nauseus it was so bad, and of course, a bit of backwards culture shock.
In Orlando? Backwards? How?

Old 03-21-2009, 07:36 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,672 times
[quote=goofykid;7981206]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Very different class of Puerto Ricans for the most part, some good and some I just wonder where the hell did you come from. quote]

I think it's safe to say the same goes for all nationalities
I think you'd know what Chelsa meant if you lived in Orlando.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:37 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
I feel sorry for anyone who lives up north. I grew up in New England and I'll take humidity over scratchy dead dried out skin, and hair that stands straight up from static electricity any day. It's tourist season... look around you! Everyone wants a piece of the sunshine state if even for a week. I'd say it's the other way around... northerners are jealous of people who live in Florida.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
In Orlando? Backwards? How?
super americanized fake stuff, florida lifestyle, hearing people speak english again, compared to being in Europe for 4 months. I had similar reverse culture shock when I came back from Africa after a long stay, that one was worse.

here:
Culture shock refers to the anxiety and feelings (of surprise, disorientation, uncertainty, confusion, etc.) felt when people have to operate within a different and unknown cultural or social environment, such as a foreign country. It grows out of the difficulties in assimilating the new culture, causing difficulty in knowing what is appropriate and what is not. This is often combined with a dislike for or even disgust (moral or aesthetical) with certain aspects of the new or different culture.

Reverse Culture Shock (a.k.a. Re-entry Shock) - Returning to one's home culture after growing accustomed to a new one can produce the same effects as described above, which an affected person often finds more surprising and difficult to deal with as the original culture shock.

For me trips like these have made me take a skeptic stance and kind of do my own thing regardless of what is going on elsewhere. I've found you can get minor versions of this within regions of U.S., but usually much easier to get over because at least you have tv, internet, some of same chains, everybody speaks engilsh, etc.

This is also why in some of my posts I might come off very critical of what certain cities are doing and not doing, when I'm just calling it like it is, most posters are too adjusted and subjective views to see these things.

I think this is some kind of new phenomenon going on with humans who have access to go live and sample from culture to culture around the world that wouldn't have been able to do that before

Last edited by grapico; 03-21-2009 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida