Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Sounds like any job in Florida...
Generalize much?

She hired a p/t person because that's all she needed. Her two salaried legal assistants were having to work overtime to finish tasks, so it was time to bring in another employee. Would she have been smarter to hire a f/t person and have them sitting around 15 hours a week doing nothing? If she had half a dozen part-timers to avoid paying benefits, I'd agree with you, but that's not the situation, and you should know the facts rather than make assumtions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 PM

110 posts, read 550,257 times
Smile Caution, Thread Wander....

This thread has careened all over the place. There has been a lot of talk about unions and Publix. That is not going to help the economy grow nor attract new business. Public higher education support is key. The most dynamic public university systems are in states with strong economies. The building of relationships between universities and businesses allow the former to become incubators of ideas for future business ventures. Look at Silicon Valley and the Route 128 biotech corridor in Massachusettes. Tax breaks to get companies to move to Florida are important. A combination of a top notch higher education system and incentives for business are what is needed. There probably has been too great a reliance on real estate development and the tourist industry in Florida. A coordinated effort to attract other businesses is needed.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FertilityDoc View Post
This thread has careened all over the place. There has been a lot of talk about unions and Publix. That is not going to help the economy grow nor attract new business. Public higher education support is key. The most dynamic public university systems are in states with strong economies. The building of relationships between universities and businesses allow the former to become incubators of ideas for future business ventures. Look at Silicon Valley and the Route 128 biotech corridor in Massachusettes. Tax breaks to get companies to move to Florida are important. A combination of a top notch higher education system and incentives for business are what is needed. There probably has been too great a reliance on real estate development and the tourist industry in Florida. A coordinated effort to attract other businesses is needed.
Great post, I agree with the majority of what you say. I question the benefits of the tax incentives, however, beyond what is currently given to the existing businesses. Too many states are now being burned by the incentives that were given to businesses offering whimsical promises of more and better jobs. Some states went so far as to actually build and develop properties to attract/retain businesses. What would Florida have to do to attract the route 128 biotech business or a Siilicon Valley corporation? Somehow, I think solid businesses search beyond tax incentives to thrive.... many of which Florida may be lacking.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Great post, I agree with the majority of what you say. I question the benefits of the tax incentives, however, beyond what is currently given to the existing businesses. Too many states are now being burned by the incentives that were given to businesses offering whimsical promises of more and better jobs. Some states went so far as to actually build and develop properties to attract/retain businesses. What would Florida have to do to attract the route 128 biotech business or a Siilicon Valley corporation? Somehow, I think solid businesses search beyond tax incentives to thrive.... many of which Florida may be lacking.
What do you see as lacking? Is it something Florida can get?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 AM

765 posts, read 2,638,753 times
I agree, education is key here. We also need to stress the importance of a college education to our high school students. Many people I meet down here don't even possess a high school diploma.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:34 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
I would also agree with education, but clearly a majority of the state doesnt seem to...

Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
That is parenting guys - my kids believe that college is just the next level in school - LOL. It isn't an option at least not inmy house. When given options most kids will take the easy way out.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:09 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I didn't force college, but I did stress the importance of having a plan for a career, be it through college or learning a trade. I don't think college is the end all be all, but kids do need to have some guidance towards obtaining some sort of marketable skill that goes beyond "You want some fries with that burger?"

Old 03-19-2009, 01:21 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,753 times
I am finding more and more today; jobs that typically used to not require a college degree now do require one.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
Agreed - I just figure if I embed it into them enough they will just go and not give it a second thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida