Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

Hey my friend - how are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:16 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hey my friend - how are you?
Oh hi there. Trying to keep warm up here in NYC, even on a so-called spring day! But I'm also packing my swimwear for a trip down to Florida to research an article on the state of Florida's economy and what can be done to create better jobs there for residents and newbies.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
OOH cool - please let me know how that turns out.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Actually, I think that there are a lot of types that can handle that hot and humid. Carribeans deal with that all the time. Your body usually adjusts to the climate you are in. I mean people live in Alaska and it is pretty cold there and they just adjust to that, but I don't think that they hang out outside even with their layers. It is all in what the body can handle
Yeah... I am half Irish/half German... 3rd generation ... FL isn't exactly comparative climate wise to these 2 countries. Probably why I don't deal with it too well. Especially since being back here from Chicago.

As far as job goes, just got one today, finally... WOW that was a long wait, but I'll take it.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:16 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae the Chef View Post
You dont live in FL?

Well, no wonder. LOL. Wait til you actually live here and experience summer after summer after summer. I know you dont like constant snow and being couped up inside the house all day, but far more places throughout the southeast offer a far more mild climate, with 4 seasons. I just cant understand why so many people choose to move here for weather, going from one extreme (cold) to another (hot). Why not settle on a place with 4 seasons, small doses of each. Instead of going from miserably cold to miserably hot. It just doesnt make sense to me.

We lived in Florida many years ago and loved it. We came home because we allowed pressure from both sides of the families to get us back here. It worked out fine but we feel we have given up many years of what we love to do ( Scuba, Sailboating, Surfing, Jet Ski, Golf, building massive sandcastles!!! ) and while we are still young enough to enjoy those things, our kids love those same things and we want them to experience it early on.

I am NOT moving just for the weather!

Florida has a lot of offer us, people like us move to Florida so we can have a real life, we enjoy outdoor sports, scuba, golf, swimming, the ocean and all the natural beauty Florida has.

I could not list all the reasons we want to move to Florida.

Why would we move half way? That would be stupid, I might as well stay here.

Do not assume that people move just for the weather, the weather is important but it is NOT the only reason.

And your extreme hot feeling is not the same for me, none of my family are bothered at all when it is 85-90 at all.

Florida has far more to offer people then most even think, the weather is just and ADDED BONUS for people like us.

I would never be a halfback, I would not like Ga- NC-SC-Tenn as places I would live.

We will find that place in Florida that fits us even if we have to move around until we do.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
100 is hot humid or not, but it really depends on one's idea of cold or hot. I think it is still pretty cold in ny and it is April, my kids are well into baseball for goodness sakes and i'm still wearing my uggs. I think anything under 60 is pretty chilly. I don't love humidity, but I will certainly take that over the bone chilling cold. NYC winters are obviously not as bad us Upstate's, or Michigan or Chicago, but it gets pretty cold. And the real problem is there really isn't all that much for kids to do in that weather that doesn't cost a lot of money. My kids play basketball - 120$, football - 300$ and baseball (travel team) - $600 w/out tournaments - and another 600$ for the winter workouts - that is all x's 2 because I have 2 boys. Now, can I choose not to do that? Of course, but then what would they do the whole winter without these things? Brutal winter is only from November to Feb., but it is pretty chilly from September to the middle of May. Sometimes, you can be out in it sometimes not, all depends on your tolerance level.
+1

I know the feeling!

And agree, my kids cannot wait to get outside and hate being cold.

We built one snowman this year and they said that was enough of that, my youngest said that she would rather build a sandcastle then a stupid snowman!!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Oh hi there. Trying to keep warm up here in NYC, even on a so-called spring day! But I'm also packing my swimwear for a trip down to Florida to research an article on the state of Florida's economy and what can be done to create better jobs there for residents and newbies.
A NYC citizen going to Florida to research jobs in Florida?

That would be interesting to get your take on that issue and what you find out.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default My younger daughter played ice hockey

Quote:
100 is hot humid or not, but it really depends on one's idea of cold or hot. I think it is still pretty cold in ny and it is April, my kids are well into baseball for goodness sakes and i'm still wearing my uggs. I think anything under 60 is pretty chilly. I don't love humidity, but I will certainly take that over the bone chilling cold. NYC winters are obviously not as bad us Upstate's, or Michigan or Chicago, but it gets pretty cold. And the real problem is there really isn't all that much for kids to do in that weather that doesn't cost a lot of money. My kids play basketball - 120$, football - 300$ and baseball (travel team) - $600 w/out tournaments - and another 600$ for the winter workouts - that is all x's 2 because I have 2 boys. Now, can I choose not to do that? Of course, but then what would they do the whole winter without these things? Brutal winter is only from November to Feb., but it is pretty chilly from September to the middle of May. Sometimes, you can be out in it sometimes not, all depends on your tolerance level.
That was around $2,000 a season. That is for ONE kid to play. Equipment? OMG I wouldn't know where to begin. As a teenager, her skates alone were oven $200. All the other equipment must have cost maybe $300? Tournaments? Cannot remember the fees for that but most of when were very far away. We had to stay a hotels. Then her team would hold practices in the summer. More money for ice time. She played on the Empire State team. That was free, but there still were the costs of the traveling for us. She went to hockey camps in the summers. Maybe another $500 for the summer? She went up to Vermont too for camps. And more tournments. She wanted to play hockey in college, and she did. She would never have made a college hockey team without all this. Yes, it was fun, but we didn't do this just to pass time in the winter, did it all year anyway. Anyway, it's ALWAYS cold in an ice rink, even when it is 90 degrees outside.

Do you where where she is tonight? She is playing hockey on an adult team.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:38 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
We lived in Florida many years ago and loved it. We came home because we allowed pressure from both sides of the families to get us back here. It worked out fine but we feel we have given up many years of what we love to do ( Scuba, Sailboating, Surfing, Jet Ski, Golf, building massive sandcastles!!! ) and while we are still young enough to enjoy those things, our kids love those same things and we want them to experience it early on.

Florida has a lot of offer us, people like us move to Florida so we can have a real life, we enjoy outdoor sports, scuba, golf, swimming, the ocean and all the natural beauty Florida has.

Do not assume that people move just for the weather, the weather is important but it is NOT the only reason.

And your extreme hot feeling is not the same for me, none of my family are bothered at all when it is 85-90 at all.

Florida has far more to offer people then most even think, the weather is just and ADDED BONUS for people like us.

I would never be a halfback, I would not like Ga- NC-SC-Tenn as places I would live.

We will find that place in Florida that fits us even if we have to move around until we do.

You've got the right attitude, Sunny, and I have no doubt that Florida will be a perfect match for you and your family. I've read and am impressed by several of your posts in this and other threads and I do admire your resilience in striving to achievie the goals in life that are best for you and your family. I also like that you realize that one cannot measure one's destiny in life by duplicating other's journeys but that one must follow one's own path.

I also think that North Florida - Palm Coast, St. Augustine, Gainesville, etc., may have ideal family and religious values that might complement your own....but I know that you know that one can retain one's individual perspectives in any part of Florida or the USA if one holds steadfast to what one believes is right.

Good luck in achieving your Florida dreams!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 PM

80 posts, read 177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

I enjoy the outdoors too when it is comfortable outside. I didnt know that you lived here before, so I dont need to tell you about the heat and humidity! I enjoy swimming and outdoor sports too, golf, basketball, going to the beach.

As far as your reference to being a "half-back" and you said that you wouldnt like NC-SC-GA-TN... well, being that you like the beach, golf and natural beauty, you can't get much prettier and peaceful than some of the places in NC-SC-GA-TN... some of the beaches are really pretty, just like Florida's. Kayaking, canoeing, white-water rafting, and the prettiest golf courses are in the mountains of NC. If you like to play golf, and get tired of playing in FL on the typical billiard table-type course, go up to sme of the challenging courses up there. Far more beautiful than FL golf courses! I understand how some places arent for everyone, but there isnt much to dislike in the Carolina's! You ever been to the Outer Banks of NC? Hilton Head or Charleston SC??????? Are you sure you could never live in NC or SC? LOL!

As far as not moving halfway, that you might as well stay in NY... well, there's a big difference between NC/TN and NY, including the weather. But I'm glad you get to come home. I'm a native Floridian myself, and whether you like it, love it, dont like what it has become over the last 5-10 yrs (which is me), as a native FL cracker, wherever I go, it's like FL will still be a part of me. I will always love it, even if I dont necessarily love it anymore like I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida