Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:45 PM

46 posts, read 145,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Florida has nothing to do with it.

Each state has its own laws on unemployment. Come to Ohio and the same thing will happen, go to Texas same thing, La. same thing.

What is your purpose of moving to Florida without a job lined up knowing in time your unemployment benefits will run out anyway.

Unemployment is not forever.

And not meant to slam you or anyone else but we cannot continue as a country spend money we do not have. Many are taking on two or three different jobs after their unemployment runs out. I do not see anything wrong with doing that to survive or until something better comes along.

Florida is not a fix all and it surely does not deserve to be blamed for something that you should have thought out before planning on moving.

I suggest you get a job or two lined up in Florida before you move.

I may be wrong but you make it out like Florida will save you from something. Then when it does not you will be bitter and become another Florida basher like so many who do who did not plan well or make good decisions before they moved.

Lord knows we do not need any more blame Florida for my ills people, we have enough of them.
I really resent your tone - I am moving to Florida because I own a house there - yes I OWN it - it is not mortgaged. Before you jump to a conclusion and think you are talking to deatbeat - think again.
I have worked all of my life and I am only interested in collecting what I believe is mine to collect not from the State of Florida - from the State of NJ.
Could you point out in my original statement where I thought Florida would save me.

I do notice that people are very short tempered on this forum. How long have you been on unemployment?

Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseaddict View Post
I really resent your tone - I am moving to Florida because I own a house there - yes I OWN it - it is not mortgaged. Before you jump to a conclusion and think you are talking to deatbeat - think again.
I have worked all of my life and I am only interested in collecting what I believe is mine to collect not from the State of Florida - from the State of NJ.
Could you point out in my original statement where I thought Florida would save me.

I do notice that people are very short tempered on this forum. How long have you been on unemployment?
Yes you deserve what you have coming.

All I ask is that you do not blame Florida if something goes wrong.

I did state I did not mean anything harmful in my post and did not say you were a deadbeat at all.

I am sorry if I offended you, but it sounded like you were going to think Florida was going to be the savior and when it wont be please do not be like so many others and blame Florida and not yourself.

I have never been unemployed ever. I cannot stand not to work and if I did get laid off I would find a job in no time.

I work for myself and have for many years, I worked those 16-20 days running a business for many years and cannot stand it when someone says they cannot make it when there are 24 hours in a day. Those people need to get 2-3 jobs if they have to and stop relying on the hope that this government will help. It cannot help any more, it is broke!

I worked my 20's away doing 16 hours per day every day and decided it was time to have a family and a life, so I sold the business. I still work every day with no days off, I check on my websites all day every day and even at 12:30 am when the kids are in bed I am working.

I sold my business and am lucky enough to be able to draw a nice income from the sale of it for the rest of my life, so I created a new business online and work hard at it as well.

I will never be unemployed, I could not stand to just do nothing. But that is me.

I hope you get to Florida and will be ok.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Yes you deserve what you have coming.

All I ask is that you do not blame Florida if something goes wrong.

I did state I did not mean anything harmful in my post and did not say you were a deadbeat at all.

I am sorry if I offended you, but it sounded like you were going to think Florida was going to be the savior and when it wont be please do not be like so many others and blame Florida and not yourself.

I have never been unemployed ever. I cannot stand not to work and if I did get laid off I would find a job in no time.

I work for myself and have for many years, I worked those 16-20 days running a business for many years and cannot stand it when someone says they cannot make it when there are 24 hours in a day. Those people need to get 2-3 jobs if they have to and stop relying on the hope that this government will help. It cannot help any more, it is broke!

I worked my 20's away doing 16 hours per day every day and decided it was time to have a family and a life, so I sold the business. I still work every day with no days off, I check on my websites all day every day and even at 12:30 am when the kids are in bed I am working.

I sold my business and am lucky enough to be able to draw a nice income from the sale of it for the rest of my life, so I created a new business online and work hard at it as well.

I will never be unemployed, I could not stand to just do nothing. But that is me.

I hope you get to Florida and will be ok.

I too have worked all of my life - it is unfortunate that some of us have lost our jobs - in this day and age employers can be very picky about the people that they hire - Right now I feel that my age is against me - they can hire much younger people for less money than I make in my particular field - which is an insurance adjuster. No matter what happened in my previous jobs I have always landed on my feet and never had to worry where my next meal was coming from - I'm not so sure that is the case this time - don't misunderstand me - I am not going to starve but I prefer to work.
We bought our house in Florida three years ago never with the intent of moving there permanently. However, we live in NJ - which happens to be the most oppressive state in the nation - our taxes are high - the cost of living is very high - thus our decision to move to Florida. - NJ even makes you pay an exit tax if you move from the State - so you could say they get you coming and going.
This is not a decision that we have made lightly - we are leaving our children - which is not an easy thing to do - hopfully the economy will turn around and perhaps some of our children (6) will choose to follow us to the Sunshine State.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseaddict View Post
I am from NJ and moving permanently to Florida - I am collecting unemployement in NJ - It is my understanding that if Florida isn;t approved for the extentions that I will not be able to collect from the State I am leaving.

I read the previous post about the extentions ,yet I have read on the NJ boards that they were denied benefits because they moved to Florida.
This was not what I wanted to hear. I thought I would have better opportunties in Florida - and the made the decision to leave NJ.
You should be able to collect from NJ which should be much more you would get in FL. The max down here is a 1970's era $275 per week while NJ is $584. Try living on $275 before taxes for a while. That should tell you something about employment and salaries in Florida. There are no opportunities down here. There never have been unless you count the housing bubble real estate a few years back. Dreamers will always come looking for gold in the sunshine but it doesn't exist. You have to work 2 or 3 crap jobs with no benefits down here just to get by. There is no gainful employment or big industry outside of healthcare. The Northeast has all the opportunity. I would think twice. Being warm but broke and desperate is not fun.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
You should be able to collect from NJ which should be much more you would get in FL. The max down here is a 1970's era $275 per week while NJ is $584. Try living on $275 before taxes for a while. That should tell you something about employment and salaries in Florida. There are no opportunities down here. There never have been unless you count the housing bubble real estate a few years back. Dreamers will always come looking for gold in the sunshine but it doesn't exist. You have to work 2 or 3 crap jobs with no benefits down here just to get by. There is no gainful employment or big industry outside of healthcare. The Northeast has all the opportunity. I would think twice. Being warm but broke and desperate is not fun.
Apparantly from what I am reading there is only so much you can collect. Because Florida has not accepted the recent extension from Obama - NJ will not pay them if you move to Florida.
What I am not quite getting is - you are able to collect the Tier 1 extension put in place by Bush - but not the tier 11 - I may be mistaken but I thought bush put the tier 11 into place and it was accepted by the State of Florida.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Also fortunately for me I do not need benefits - so I am willing to work a crap job - if I can find one.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,270 times
Working a crap dead end job at a store and being told by some 20 yr old kid with a green card will get old and will erode your career skills.

I don't believe the extensions passed by Bush were optional like the Obama one. The fed govt paid for both for all states. One may have already expired though since there was a time limit I believe.

The insurance industry is very poorly represented down here. Most insurance companies have offices and employees elsewhere like in Atlanta and other big cities outside Florida where they handle everything from. There are very few corporate offices in Florida. This is a retail and service industry state.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Working a crap dead end job at a store and being told by some 20 yr old kid with a green card will get old and will erode your career skills.

I don't believe the extensions passed by Bush were optional like the Obama one. The fed govt paid for both for all states. One may have already expired though since there was a time limit I believe.

The insurance industry is very poorly represented down here. Most insurance companies have offices and employees elsewhere like in Atlanta and other big cities outside Florida where they handle everything from. There are very few corporate offices in Florida. This is a retail and service industry state.
I can work for an attorney - from what I see there are plenty of them.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
i absolutely cannot understand why florida does not address one of its biggest problems which is the m massive inflow of illegal immigrants. the wages have no chance of going up if you have too many people vying for fewer jobs. our state needs to elect a representative (and i don't care which party) who will address this issue before it becomes a permanent handicap for our state. we may not be able to control what the federal government does but we sure can have our own state enforce the laws that are already on the books. we might not be having this huge unemployment argument if that issue was addressed.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
There are reasons why all these illegals and Hispanics in general continue to flood the border states which Florida is one of. The rich people hire them and pay them well to clean their homes which takes no skills or training. They can do it right off the boat. I know some making $60K per year with full free benefits, free food, free gas, free car insurance. Not kidding. They don't pull a dime out of their pockets all week long.
If you are going to spin tales at least make them semi believeable.

Why would these rich people pay what would work out to $29 an hour plus give them benefits plus feed them plus give them gas and let them drive their cars when they could hire them all day long for $7-$8/HR and not give them all these extras you mention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida