Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times

Advertisements

We had the BEST trip....We loved West Boca, we loved seeing my aunt and uncle and my great aunt, we went to Los Olas for lunch and shopping, went to Mizner Park for dinner, Went to the Boca Town Center wow that was beautiful, Dh met with the people he needed to meet with, we went to this all u can eat Sushi Place on Powerline Rd YUMMM and ....We did things that we would do if we lived there, Dh drove during rush hour back and forth, We went to Miami Beach for dinner one night...then we visited our friends in Weston and that area is beautiful as well, we then saw some homes in Parkland (Heron Bay) now that is some development, Dh really liked it but also liked the proximity of Boca than opposed to parkland, and we even extended our trip by a few days..None of us wanted to come home...lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
We had the BEST trip....We loved West Boca, we loved seeing my aunt and uncle and my great aunt, we went to Los Olas for lunch and shopping, went to Mizner Park for dinner, Went to the Boca Town Center wow that was beautiful, Dh met with the people he needed to meet with, we went to this all u can eat Sushi Place on Powerline Rd YUMMM and ....We did things that we would do if we lived there, Dh drove during rush hour back and forth, We went to Miami Beach for dinner one night...then we visited our friends in Weston and that area is beautiful as well, we then saw some homes in Parkland (Heron Bay) now that is some development, Dh really liked it but also liked the proximity of Boca than opposed to parkland, and we even extended our trip by a few days..None of us wanted to come home...lol....
Good for you, berry, hope things go well with your Florida relocation plans!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:18 PM

326 posts, read 1,170,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Good for you, berry, hope things go well with your Florida relocation plans!
Don't believe the SoFlo bashers it's a great overall place to be especially in Florida. Except theme parks it gots everything and more than anywhere else in the state. Good luck finding a place you like their are many places like Boca.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
Great to hear! Miami/South Florida is a beautiful city and a great place to live! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:32 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
.We did things that we would do if we lived there,..
You mean work every day, pay bills, deal with traffic on a daily basis, deal with the crime and crowds in a daily basis, handle the oppressive heat for six months of the year, and all that stuff?

It sounds like you had a nice vacation, but trust me, it isn't even close to living here.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:58 AM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
That's the thing. BerryJuice4Life, I hope you enjoy S FL, but like Lilybeans said, it's a whole different story living in S FL and just visiting. I cant stand what has happened to S FL over the yrs, but even I can enjoy visiting the area in little spurts, although I still wouldnt go to Miami, even if I were feeling brave.

It's a lot like Orlando, when we visited all the time, we thought bigger city --> jobs. The beach was close by, even traffic didnt seem that bad when we would visit. Hell, I didnt even notice how rude people were. I was on cloud 9 and didnt even notice.

Now that I live here, and no we didnt just move here on a whim from out of state w/o doing research, my wife and I were both born in FL. So the heat and humidity was something we were used to. But then watching the news, driving with all the idiots on I-4, etc... being around so many rude people all the time really takes a toll on you... Anyhow, I do hope your decision will be the right one and I hope you enjoy it. There are still a couple nice places to live in in S FL.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 AM

162 posts, read 658,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
You mean work every day, pay bills, deal with traffic on a daily basis, deal with the crime and crowds in a daily basis, handle the oppressive heat for six months of the year, and all that stuff?

It sounds like you had a nice vacation, but trust me, it isn't even close to living here.
You really don't know how good you have it down there. Move up here to VA and I'll show you hell on Earth.

We have to work every day too, pay bills, deal with traffic (one of the 2 tunnels leaving Norfolk was closed two days ago. Traffic was backed up from 4 something in the afternoon to almost 8 at night), deal with crime (front page yesterday was two shootings, one where 2 teens where killed in their home the other where a girl in her home was struck. Different neighborhoods, wasn't the same shooter) we have very cold and rainy weather (mild, yeah, right)

You all have restaurants galore, shopping, nightlife, great beaches, different cultures (I mean, this ones great if you like rednecks with their mud trucks) and an incredible ecosystem right outside your back door.

We have mud brown water, one of the most polluted waterways in the world, and ashtrays for beaches.

So we have to do the same as you do around there. Fortunately for you, you get to enjoy the weather, and activities, we don't even get that luxury.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:02 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post

LOL well, if you're doing all that already just in a different place there's really no difference here except you're doing it in a prettier environment possibly. I agree the heat is shocking at first and humidity. Takes a body over a year to really start adjusting but she's from NC so it's not exactly up north. This week our humidity ranged from a perfectly good 50-60 to an oppressive 80-95 (for days) and I was cursing it and it's only April 15th lol.

Last summer I was really glad I didn't have to put on work clothes and go out in the summer mornings where you break out in a humidity sweat and get your breath taken away just going out on your porch at 5 am.

Every time my kid came home to Phila after being in FL for the past 10 years he could NOT get warm lol. Wearing big socks in the house 24/7. But NC isn't like that so it's not the same adjustment probably.

But I agree overall, a trip is not really a good predictor. When I did my dry run in FLL and sat at McNAb at one light for TWENTY MINUTES during lunch hour, I knew EXACTLY where I needed to move. Behind my office. Since I go home at lunch, it's a "priority" unfortunately for me. Two fridays ago I sat two blocks down for another 25 minutes where everyone let the traffic out of a shopping center driveway instead of GOING when the light turned green.......wth....I had a job interview and knew to go an hour early just in case and I just made it.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 AM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
You really don't know how good you have it down there. Move up here to VA and I'll show you hell on Earth.

We have to work every day too, pay bills, deal with traffic (one of the 2 tunnels leaving Norfolk was closed two days ago. Traffic was backed up from 4 something in the afternoon to almost 8 at night), deal with crime (front page yesterday was two shootings, one where 2 teens where killed in their home the other where a girl in her home was struck. Different neighborhoods, wasn't the same shooter) we have very cold and rainy weather (mild, yeah, right)

You all have restaurants galore, shopping, nightlife, great beaches, different cultures (I mean, this ones great if you like rednecks with their mud trucks) and an incredible ecosystem right outside your back door.

We have mud brown water, one of the most polluted waterways in the world, and ashtrays for beaches.

So we have to do the same as you do around there. Fortunately for you, you get to enjoy the weather, and activities, we don't even get that luxury.
Hahaha... everyone thinks were so lucky b/c it's warm. It gets so hot in the summetime though, atleast you enjoy seasons. As far as culture and nightlife, it just depends where you are. S FL has a lot of nightlife and culture/diversity, but we have tons of rednecks too!

I'm not even gonna touch on the crime issue. We have more crime than VA, easily.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post

Exactly. I know Virginia very well and it's no picnic that's for sure. Traffic there is infamous. Everywhere near DC especially. Near meaning for MILES and HOURS not near meaning minutes lol.

Then south? I remember I was going to transfer to Richmond and when I went on the city website they had all these photos of the gangbangers "most wanted" plastered all over the freaking generic CITY web page. The first time I ever saw that in any city. Annapolis has a similar problem but not as in your face. So I stayed put...in PHiila.

All my coworkers said never look near the city move out to the suburbs. So what's the point, really? LOL

Florida is unique and if you have a job nothing like up north and fun to try at least. Doesnt mean you made a lifetime commitment imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida