Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:28 AM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Exactly. I know Virginia very well and it's no picnic that's for sure. Traffic there is infamous. Everywhere near DC especially. Near meaning for MILES and HOURS not near meaning minutes lol.

Then south? I remember I was going to transfer to Richmond and when I went on the city website they had all these photos of the gangbangers "most wanted" plastered all over the freaking generic CITY web page. The first time I ever saw that in any city. Annapolis has a similar problem but not as in your face. So I stayed put...in PHiila.

All my coworkers said never look near the city move out to the suburbs. So what's the point, really? LOL

Florida is unique and if you have a job nothing like up north and fun to try at least. Doesnt mean you made a lifetime commitment imo.
There's a big difference between the nothern VA/DC area and the rest of Va.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
atleast you enjoy seasons. As far as culture and nightlife, it just depends where you are. S FL has a lot of nightlife and culture/diversity, but we have tons of rednecks too!

I'm not even gonna touch on the crime issue. We have more crime than VA, easily.

Newsflash, surprise, surprise, some of us don't like seasons but desire year round warmth and will put up with the heat vs. the winter. Surprise, surprise, there are so-called "rednecks," as well as crime everywhere in the good old USA.

So many wanna rain on another's parade and project their own disillusionment with life on others. Berry, as a former Florida resident is well aware of the negatives in Florida but she's also aware of the positives. I don't believe that she thinks Florida is the best thing since sliced bread. I think most average folk know that everywhere in the world has its pros and cons...Florida is no exception.

What's overall awful for one dude may be just what another dudette is looking for.

To Berry, once again, I say, glad you had a good time, and best in your relocation plans!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:36 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
There's a big difference between the nothern VA/DC area and the rest of Va.
Well, yeah but my search was limited to where I could transfer. That meant several towns (all different in flavor) ....in Northern VA, Richmond, Norfolk and Hampton and even Virginia Beach. Didn't work out ...but if you have a job that works it's beautiful there, agreed.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
If you don't like the heat, get the out of the kitchen & leave the light on for those who live here.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:54 AM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
I am a native who is somewhat used to the heat. My point was that after a poster mentioned how awful the weather is in the cold months, I said we get the same miserable weather 6 months out of the year, just in the form of heat and humidity.

I can understand that people like year round warmth, but I think it's pretty silly to think that people enjoy the heat and humidity that is pretty bad for close to 5 or 6 months a year. It is oppressive, and I think waaaay too many people from the north move here for warm weather. FL has the lowest comfort level for weather compared to all other states, hovering in the 20's, whereas states like VA and NC are in the high 40's and low 50's on the same scale. I know some folks like heat and year round warmth, but I think some folks have no idea how bad it gets down here. I had a guy from Massachusetts tell me that folks he knows from Massachusetts that have moved to FL always seem angry and aggressive, especially on the roads. He said they come down here and are miserable to the the heat and it drives them insane and literally mad.

On the othe hand, I told Berry I hope she enjoys it in S FL, and I said there are still some nice places to live down there. The weather topic only came up when someone from Northern VA who doesnt live in FL commented that our weather was so much better, and how VA weather was so miserable. I simply replied that we have 6 months of bad weather too, in the form of heat, unlike VA where they have 6 months of cold weather.

And yes Moderate guy, I am aware that everywhere USA has crime, but when someone from VA says how bad crime is there, (knowing it is worse here in FL) it'd be silly to think that FL doesnt have the same crime issues too. In fact, I can put up with the heat and humidity, but Florida's biggest drawback is it's transient/criminal-attracting nature and the crime that comes with it.

"Traffic was backed up from 4 something in the afternoon to almost 8 at night), deal with crime (front page yesterday was two shootings, one where 2 teens where killed in their home the other where a girl in her home was struck. Different neighborhoods, wasn't the same shooter) we have very cold and rainy weather (mild, yeah, right)"

The reason I bring up crime is because when folks talk about how bad it is elsewhere (like mentioned above) it is imparative that these folks are aware of Florida's crime, especially if they are thinking of moving down here. Two teens killed in their home and a girl struck by a bullet sounds awful, and in the NVA/DC area, I know haow bad it is there. But to not mention the fact that this happens in FL all the time too, if not more, would be silly. VA overall is a pretty safe place to live, when you take out the Richmond's and DC's of the state. But in FL, crime happens everywhere. How about the elderly couple stabbed for no reason in front of Target in the little town of Mt. Dora? A guy stabbed an elderly couple for no reason, repeatedly in the parking lot. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-loc-couple-stabbed-040609,0,5738570.story (broken link) Florida's crime is worse than VA's, and that needs to be addressed or atleast mentioned, especially if relocation from another state is a consideration.

Small sample of Orlando news/crime:Pine Hills twins to be tried in Eustis slaying
City kills plans to add 25 officers to police force
Plea deal nixed in gay hate-crime murder
Police release ID of man found beneath I-4
Vigil held in honor of man killed by his mom at Shoot Straight
Man wanted in Orange County slaying arrested in the Bronx
Former teacher arrested in cold case released from jail

Last edited by Chrome Microphone; 04-17-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I am a native who is somewhat used to the heat. My point was that after a poster mentioned how awful the weather is in the cold months, I said we get the same miserable weather 6 months out of the year, just in the form of heat and humidity.

I can understand that people like year round warmth, but I think it's pretty silly to think that people enjoy the heat and humidity that is pretty bad for close to 5 or 6 months a year. It is oppressive, and I think waaaay too many people from the north move here for warm weather. FL has the lowest comfort level for weather compared to all other states, hovering in the 20's, whereas states like VA and NC are in the high 40's and low 50's on the same scale. I know some folks like heat and year round warmth, but I think some folks have no idea how bad it gets down here. I had a guy from Massachusetts tell me that folks he knows from Massachusetts that have moved to FL always seem angry and aggressive, especially on the roads. He said they come down here and are miserable to the the heat and it drives them insane and literally mad.

On the othe hand, I told Berry I hope she enjoys it in S FL, and I said there are still some nice places to live down there. The weather topic only came up when someone from Northern VA who doesnt live in FL commented that our weather was so much better, and how VA weather was so miserable. I simply replied that we have 6 months of bad weather too, in the form of heat, unlike VA where they have 6 months of cold weather.

And yes Moderate guy, I am aware that everywhere USA has crime, but when someone from VA says how bad crime is there, (knowing it is worse here in FL) it'd be silly to think that FL doesnt have the same crime issues too. In fact, I can put up with the heat and humidity, but Florida's biggest drawback is it's transient/criminal-attracting nature and the crime that comes with it.
You're making some good points and observations, chrome. I'm not in any way scolding YOUR perspective. Please don't interpret it that way. We're all entitled to feel differently about issues like weather, crime, cost of living, etc...and it's good for would-be transplants to get all perspectives.

There are one or two people who are totally blinded either for or against Florida and are also seeking a permanent escape from their disillusionment with life. I'm in no way insinuationg that you are one of those people. It was just a general observation of the Florida Forums in general.

You are right though, the heat and humidity can create unpleasant reactions and discomfort for people during that period of time that it is most intense in Florida.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
I can tell you this. Before moving down here (over 20 years ago), I lived in northern VA - McLean, VA to be exact. And you want to talk about brutal summers in Florida? Give me a break. The summers in the DC area were worse.

We do get away from time to time. But after living here for years, with a comfortable and lovely home, with a pool, and on a lake -- well people pay big bucks for a vacation to have what we have year round. So we limit our vacations for the obvious reason. We enjoy living here.

Yes, I am well aware that it isn't perfect down here - keenly aware of it. One of my major concerns right now is homeowners insurance. And that is fodder for a new thread.

The level of whinning/complaining/criticism on this forum is really unbelievable at times.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:53 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Newsflash, surprise, surprise, some of us don't like seasons but desire year round warmth and will put up with the heat vs. the winter. Surprise, surprise, there are so-called "rednecks," as well as crime everywhere in the good old USA.

So many wanna rain on another's parade and project their own disillusionment with life on others. Berry, as a former Florida resident is well aware of the negatives in Florida but she's also aware of the positives. I don't believe that she thinks Florida is the best thing since sliced bread. I think most average folk know that everywhere in the world has its pros and cons...Florida is no exception.

What's overall awful for one dude may be just what another dudette is looking for.

To Berry, once again, I say, glad you had a good time, and best in your relocation plans!
Hey Mod,
Im not from florida although I wish I was..lol..dh and I are from NYC originally, then in NJ for 10 Years and now Charlotte...We are so hoping for things to Click, for us so we can move to your beautiful State..We loved West Boca as I said, and We have moved around quiet often to know all pro's and con's of a state...florida has its share of problems as so does Charlotte and anywhere else, and I agree with u about people raining on people's parade...I am not going to tell people NOT to move to Charlotte or the Carolina's because it isnt for us, many people love it here, and those that arent happy...I will say I have gotten from quiet a few Floridians during our trip, oh you live in NC all the Floridians left here to go there and your coming here?? it was quiet funny...but yes we fell in love as we did 15 yrs ago, and sorry we didnt make the move sooner...There is no Utopia in life and for us Florida is the place we would like to settle in...

Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Well yes we do have beautiful beaches in South Florida, we pay a ton of money for the counties to have sand hauled in from the Bahamas to make them pretty, otherwise we wouldn't have much of a beach actually. Any place on the east coast could have the sand hauled in too if they wanted. Well with the exception of the last 6 months, we usually have horrible heat and humidity 8 months out of the year here in South Florida. So I wouldn't say I enjoy that, I actually stay indoors those months to avoid the heat and humidity. I try to avoid the sun as much as possible, as a native floridian the dermatologist tells me I have higher chances of skin cancer, so I don't want to deal with that when I get older also the sun ages people alot, so I avoid it as much as possible. When I was a teen I met a woman who told me she was 60 something she looked like 30 something. I asked her what her secret was, she said she lived in NY most of her life and avoided the sun. I have never forgotten that, and since then have tried to avoid the sun, but I know I have already damaged my skin (they say you do all the damage to your skin before you are 18 that will haunt you later in life). Ohh, And then in the evening when it cools down to about 85F the mosquitos are out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
We have mud brown water, one of the most polluted waterways in the world, and ashtrays for beaches.

So we have to do the same as you do around there. Fortunately for you, you get to enjoy the weather, and activities, we don't even get that luxury.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Well with the exception of the last 6 months, we usually have horrible heat and humidity 8 months out of the year here in South Florida.
Darned, doggie, 8 whole months of horrible heat/humidity and only 6 good months. Man, Florida gives you an extra two months per year...but not fun months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida