Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Spock View Post
You are terribly young to be so into stereotyping, that must be a Liberal thing.
Is this pot-meet-kettle remark facetious or in earnest?
Quote:
If you have never lived here you need to stop with the barefoot and pregnant lingo..You may be surprised that Southern women have a mind of their own and it's not necessarily your interpretation
Having been informed by a friend already in college in Florida, the OP was politely inquiring, not assuming. He admitted that all he had to go on was stereotypes--that's why he was asking. I stand by my original reply to him.

In any event, his last post was April 2009, the same time he originally began this thread.
I wonder where he ended up continuing his education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,339 times
Default whitey says

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
They havent.
Without the money the northerners brought with them, FL would be like Mississippi.

So who says Mississipi is such a abd place?
No Yankees, No taxes, No government!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,339 times
Who says Mississippi is such a bad place?
NO Yankees, no taxes, no government!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whmarkle View Post
So who says Mississipi is such a abd place?
No Yankees, No taxes, No government!
Yeah, besides the poverty, the terrible schools, the lack of opportunity and the ingrained bigotry, Mississippi is just a wonderful place.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 20,683 times
Here's my 2 cents....I moved from DC to the Panhandle and I love it. I grew up in "civilization" and all I saw was rude, hateful, harassed people that literally never smiled. Traffic was always horrid, the weather sucked 99% of the time, and uncontrolled development, sprawl and an invasion of illegal and legal immigrants have made it even worse (and it's always been pretty bad). I went to "good schools" where I was harassed for being white, beaten up, sexually assaulted and miserable every day from being one of 4,000 kids (Fairfax County public schools are always in the top 3 public school systems in the country, mind you!). I literally never ate breakfast for 10 years of my life because I was sick to my stomach every day from the idea of going to that living Hell on Earth. There was nowhere you could go to enjoy nature or take a swim without being around a million mofos, the cost of living and taxes were insane, you had to pay an arm and a leg to live in a "good" neighborhood, now half the people don't speak English, and huge areas are no-go zones for Americans. If that's "civilization" then y'all can keep it. I can actually see the stars at night here! The air is clean! I can ride my freaking horse ON THE BEACH! It's scallop season, for heaven's sake! I live on the beach for HALF the price I paid for a tiny apartment in the ghetto...but I'm supposed to MISS so-called civilization? Hahaha....NO.

I have always been a Florida cracker/hillbilly at heart. We are originally from Appalachia so I'm used to the name-calling but I always find it interesting how all stereotypes are bad....EXCEPT ones aimed at so-called "low class" whites. Can any of you name-callers explain that to me? But be sure to talk real slow because I'm just a dumb yokel and your citified ways and fancy degrees are too much for my poor little brain to handle! If you saw me you'd definitely think I'm low-class FL trash but that's how I like it, it weeds out the a-holes. I snuck away to PSJ and finally feel like I'm home. I HATE to see this area being built up and turned into another Destin because I watched it happen in DC and what you give up you can never get back. Once the "progress" comes in it's ruined. Why can't country people have a place? Do we really need ANOTHER strip mall or water park or condo building here? Aren't there a billion of them...but how much unspoiled nature and rural space do we have? If you hate us yokels, white trash hillbilly crackers, then please go away. You have most of the rest of this HUGE country to develop, and there are plenty of places that would be perfect for your kind. The panhandle is not that place and we do not want it to be. Go to Destin, that place is PERFECT for pretentious d-bags but we do not want you here in Gulf County. This is Old Florida and I think it's perfect.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 20,683 times
Quote:
Yeah, besides the poverty, the terrible schools, the lack of opportunity and the ingrained bigotry, Mississippi is just a wonderful place.

Have you ever lived there? Do you have first-hand experience of the things you listed, or are you just parroting what you've heard and seen on tv?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon tree View Post
I can actually see the stars at night here!
I do remember that--so beautiful.
Quote:
but I always find it interesting how all stereotypes are bad....EXCEPT ones aimed at so-called "low class" whites.
Very good point and it's not fair. When I lived in PSJ I saw and heard certain things that would definitely feed the stereotype, but that is immaterial--there are all kinds of people everywhere, including very kind, down-to-earth people living in PSJ, and thugs wearing suits in DC.

Quote:
I snuck away to PSJ and finally feel like I'm home. I HATE to see this area being built up and turned into another Destin because I watched it happen in DC and what you give up you can never get back. Once the "progress" comes in it's ruined. Why can't country people have a place? Do we really need ANOTHER strip mall or water park or condo building here? Aren't there a billion of them...but how much unspoiled nature and rural space do we have? If you hate us yokels, white trash hillbilly crackers, then please go away. You have most of the rest of this HUGE country to develop, and there are plenty of places that would be perfect for your kind. The panhandle is not that place and we do not want it to be. Go to Destin, that place is PERFECT for pretentious d-bags but we do not want you here in Gulf County. This is Old Florida and I think it's perfect.
No, In my opinion we *don't* need another strip mall or water park. But as people continue to migrate south, sleepy north Florida is faced with change.
As the cliche goes, 'they're only making so much coast.'
St Joe Company owns half a million acres in the Panhandle. Because of Joe Company, a highway was re-rerouted and a new airport was built.
The popping of the housing market bubble has stalled "progress" a bit, but Gulf County will not be immune to further development. People will need to work together to make sure all socio-economic levels are served. The last thing you want is another Aspen.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Quote:
I've heard worse about Missouri. Heh, it must be true!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 20,351 times
You might want to check out the panhandle of Florida too. Bay, gulf, and franklin counties. Known as the Forgotten Coast. Great beaches with a rural, laid-back feel.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon tree View Post
Have you ever lived there? Do you have first-hand experience of the things you listed, or are you just parroting what you've heard and seen on tv?
Well, gee......now that you ask.....
Yes, I lived in rural southern Mississippi for 6 months.
And you?
Not gonna hold my breath for an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida