Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:03 PM

62 posts, read 253,005 times

Advertisements

Florida is the only place in the US I know of where you as soon you get off the plane after a long vacation up north you choke on that thick discusting humid air that bakes you alive like sitting in the kitchen in Miami with NO AC/Windows closed on turkey day. This is a thread dedicated on how to survive our home state weather for native and newcomers.

Taking multiple showers a day and drinking a lot of water a is a must. feel free to add your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,471 times
I'm pulling up a chair and getting all comfy. I certainly want to hear tips on staying cool in FL. Bring 'em on!!!

And OP...you're description is dead on. Yes indeedy.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:24 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
I like to run the air conditioner.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:25 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
I also wear a Tilley Endurables mesh wide brimmed hat.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 PM

202 posts, read 539,192 times
Funny we always were sweats and a snuggie around the house. We blast the a/c year round.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:58 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninob1213 View Post
Florida is the only place in the US I know of where you as soon you get off the plane after a long vacation up north you choke on that thick discusting humid air that bakes you alive like sitting in the kitchen in Miami with NO AC/Windows closed on turkey day. This is a thread dedicated on how to survive our home state weather for native and newcomers.

Taking multiple showers a day and drinking a lot of water a is a must. feel free to add your thoughts
Perspective...

Florida is the only place in the US I know of where as soon as you get off the plane you can breath warm moist air into your lungs, a relief from the prickling, drying air of the northern climes. Turkey day??? Hell, we're running our A/C while you're running your moisture-sucking, drying heating systems. And how's your hair? You like that stick-up-straight look? You like static electricity? Gimmee Florida anytime.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:09 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
FIRST of all realize that it takes a long time for a Northern body to adjust to Florida weather and vice versa. Like over a year possibly. My kid wore thick socks 24/7 in my house in PA when he came up from Florida after living here 10 years he could NOT GET WARM without really loading up with clothing or quilts or whatever.

If you're buying a condo chose one on the interior and chose block not frame.

Know that the humidity is REALLY BIG early early in the morning so stay off the patio and keep the slider shut. (duh LOL)

Keep your shades drawn in rooms you don't use and consider putting up black out drapes. $35.00 at a bedding store, just like in hotels. You hang them like any other ready made drape.

Keep the shades down in rooms you do use, also if the sun is facing that window.

Install 3M UVA window film that keeps 99 percent of uva uvb out, and also reduces the heat tremendously like 97 percent or so. It reflects the sun back away from the window. They give a warranty. At least put it on the east and west facing windows. It works. My pet bird thought it was nighttime when the guy left at five in the afternoon because all of a sudden it seemed like seven at night. It also keeps your furniture from fading as quickly.It also keeps people from seeing inside, they can only see your outline at night when you have a light on.

Get the 3M installed in your car windows, too, even if you have factory tint the 3M is likely much better.

Don't plan to drive west in the afternoon

If you know you are going to run the air, don't be a hero and wait until 3 pm put it on low early on so the humidity stays lowish and your bill will be slightly better. Set the AC on 80 or 78 or something and leave it.

Get a humidity control on the ac unit too.

MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE YOUR AC FILTERS EVERY TIME YOU"RE SUPPOSED TO so it runs more efficiently.

Do an energy audit and make sure your windows are not leaking heat inside or air going out. This one is major. Also make sure you dont have dryrot in wood in the frames if it's that kind of house.

Consider replacing windows when possible to increase energy efficiency.

Dont use traditional bulbs in lamps they really add to the heat use the ugly compact florescents.

Don't use your front door if you have a garage that has an entrance into a vestibule. Use your garage instead to come in and go out. The front door lets a ton of air out and brings a giant bunch of heat inside.

Fill up a spray bottle with water and use it for a quick relief especially when you're outside. This is a big one. If you dont want to carry around a spray bottle buy a can of Evian facial spray. Air line attendents use this in Europe.

Buy "Body Drench Crushed Ice Drench Cooling Spray". It's a white can that the spray comes out ice cold. But I dont think it's that good because it's too severe a change in temp.

Keep a clean hand towel in the kitchen and wet your face and neck and hair with cold water or dunk your head under the faucet. You can even put it in the freezer LOL.

Use fans. If you spray yourself with water and have a fan it lasts awhile.

Put a patio mister out on your patio, it's like a mini sprinkler system that hangs from the ceiling but it's a fine spray, a mist. You can see one on Housewives of Orange County when they go to an outside bar in the desert 110 degree weather. LOL

Get a boat and run around the ocean.

Get a baby pool and put it on your covered porch out of the sun, and put up blinds out there on the porch.

Go to the movies or the mall.

Go to the HOA building or pool to save money on your OWN electric bill LOL.

The BEST ONE: Buy a cool mat that you sit on. I got mine from QVC in 2004. It's a thick grey channeled material with cool gel stuff inside.

I use it in the car and in the house. When it gets hot from you sitting on it, you just throw it on the floor for a few minutes and it goes back to cold.

They also sell gel mats for dogs
. And gel vests to cool them down.

Don't wear black.

Get uva uvb block clothing from Coolibar especially the hat with the material dangling on the back of your neck like landscapers wear.

Use a white umbrella while walking around outside.

Even though it has nothing to do with heat, wear sunblock preferably with titanium dioxide. I have a gallon bottle with a pump of Rocky Mountain Sunscreen that the ski teams wear. Also wear lip sunscreen the sun will age your skin tremendously and give you alot of cancers even though the humidity is great for it and hair.

That's all I can think of for now

ETA: I myself cannot follow most of these rules because I can't stand to be cooped up in a house with windows shut and ac on, so I just deal with it and spray then go to the pool.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Perspective...

Florida is the only place in the US I know of where as soon as you get off the plane you can breath warm moist air into your lungs, a relief from the prickling, drying air of the northern climes. Turkey day??? Hell, we're running our A/C while you're running your moisture-sucking, drying heating systems. And how's your hair? You like that stick-up-straight look? You like static electricity? Gimmee Florida anytime.
You know, that's why a place like NC, where there is the perfect balance of 4 seasons is better of both worlds, so you could be getting a little of hot and sticky but mild by dinnertime (summer), cold (winter), awesome (spring and fall). So it doesnt always have to be A. hot and sticky all the time or B. cold and dreary. Some places have the perfect 4 seasons, with none of the season hanging around for soooooo long (FL summers or Maine winters, for example).

For the 6-7 months of heat and humidity (I'm a native and still cant get used to it, nor do I like it): A/C, multiple showers (even after walking your dogs at 10 pm - believe me, it gets that sticky), cold water, take breaks from the heat and humidity if you are outside doing yard work/washing your car/etc...

Old 04-26-2009, 08:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Perspective...

I MUCH prefer Florida to anywhere else I have lived. I would rather have the humidity then the dryness of other places.
I use a fan if I am outside having a garage sale like I was this weekend. My lanai also has fans to make them more comfortable.

I do drink alot of water but I guess I am more used to Florida then the OP because I don't feel the need to take more then one shower per day.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 PM

62 posts, read 253,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I MUCH prefer Florida to anywhere else I have lived. I would rather have the humidity then the dryness of other places.
I use a fan if I am outside having a garage sale like I was this weekend. My lanai also has fans to make them more comfortable.

I do drink alot of water but I guess I am more used to Florida then the OP because I don't feel the need to take more then one shower per day.
I've lived here the majority of my life I will say that the temperatures seem to have gotten worse than when I was younger thanks to global warming most likely. Todays high was only 82 in my area but I had to take a shower just to make it through the day without going insane. If you dont live within 5 miles of the Atlantic or the Gulf(sea breeze) then prepare to be blazed . Oh and I wish I could run the AC all day in my household but we don't have the money for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida