Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 PM

460 posts, read 2,344,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRollingSurf View Post
I had to stop reading by page 3. If not I'd have to wake my family up and get in car to head there now. We are moving in 27 days from Michigan and if your wondering it's in the 30's now with 30-40 mph winds and it snowed yesterday. It's been spring for a month?, not here!!. I grew up in Naples Fl so all the joys you speek of I remember so well. I'm SO SO ready to come back and never look back. Anyone thinking of moving to MI, don't. Come here for a white Christmas, deer season, or a snow mobile trip and then get out. 17 years back here felt more like a 700 year sentence.

ahhhh I know what you mean! Its been terribly cold here in Illinois for the past week and actually snowed this morning! I will be so glad to finally move away from this terrible weather! I have to wait till August!

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 02:25 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
Quote:
I had to stop reading by page 3. If not I'd have to wake my family up and get in car to head there now. We are moving in 27 days from Michigan and if your wondering it's in the 30's now with 30-40 mph winds and it snowed yesterday. It's been spring for a month?, not here!!. I grew up in Naples Fl so all the joys you speek of I remember so well. I'm SO SO ready to come back and never look back. Anyone thinking of moving to MI, don't. Come here for a white Christmas, deer season, or a snow mobile trip and then get out. 17 years back here felt more like a 700 year sentence.
How the heck did you end up in Michigan.................?

Since you grew up there, WELCOME HOME !!!

You will be glad you did.

Read RedWingsfans post, she has some awesome input about moving from Mich to Fla.

Where are you moving to in Florida?

Old 04-12-2007, 03:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
ahhhh I know what you mean! Its been terribly cold here in Illinois for the past week and actually snowed this morning! I will be so glad to finally move away from this terrible weather! I have to wait till August!

Jen
Well, at least you don't have to suffer through another northern winter like some of us have to. Maybe I'll just need to take a couple more Fla. trips next winter season to get me through. I have a lot of vacation built up and I'd like to use some of it before we relocate.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:07 PM

60 posts, read 285,074 times
Quote:
Moving to Naples, too, 38 days to go!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:14 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
Default Watching sunsets which R breathtaking!

Running out of the house barefoot...in November, December, January, February etc.

I enjoy not having to deal w/snowtires, boots, heavy clothing.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:05 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Jammie...we spent a week last summer at Siesta Key - it is without a doubt my favorite beach of all. Sanibel and Captiva are a close second. We stayed all the way down at the end of the island by the park at the Helmsely Sandcastle . It was early in June and not crowded and gorgeous. It reminded me more of the old Florida beaches than anywhere I've been other than Anastasia Island off St. Augustine. Many of the hotels on that end of the beach are mostly older, 50-60's style but that's part of the charm.

Below is a little info on what makes it so special....
Siesta Beach is located on Beach Road on Siesta Key. Siesta Beach is known as one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere in the world. At the "Great International White Sand Beach Challenge" held in 1987, it was recognized as having the "whitest and finest sand in the world."
Unlike beaches elsewhere that are made up mostly of coral, Siesta Beach's sand is 99% quartz. Even on the hottest days, the sand is so reflective that it feels cool underfoot. It's estimated that the sand on Siesta Beach is millions of years old, and started in the Appalachians and flowed down the rivers and was eventually deposited on the shores of Siesta Key.
Shallow water depth in the near shore area together with year round lifeguard protection, makes this one of the safest beaches in the County and great for small children.

If you have time check out Turtle Beach ....just south of Siesta Key...it's a great walk and much more private....

Turtle Beach is located on Midnight Pass Road near the south end of Siesta Key. It features a large picnic shelter and is very popular for family outings.
In the center of the park is Blind Pass Lagoon which connects to Little Sarasota Bay. Free boat ramps allow easy access to and from the Bay.
Although the sand at Turtle Beach isn't as fine as it is farther up the key, it makes up the difference in privacy. Here you'll be able to walk for miles down the beach. Since the closing of Midnight Pass, you can walk all the way down Casey Key.
Look carefully in the sand, and you'll find prehistoric petrified sharks teeth that are millions of years old.
We took the walk down to Casey Key...it was great.

My mother in law grew up on these beaches and my husband still has family in Venice just south of Sarasota.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:02 PM

177 posts, read 257,638 times
How refreshing to read about happy people and positive statements!

Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Not freezing...
SUN...
Open windows with a nice 68 degree temp today, and NO humidity(3-13-08)
20 minutes to Fort Myers beach.
Sitting on the patio having a captain and coke...
NO SNOW OR ICE.
I'll think of more.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
USED TO........ in my sailing days .......... sailing Biscayne Bay and the Florida Keys, snorkeling in the shallow reefs. Those are my favorite memories of living in Florida.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:53 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Sit outside right now and have cocktails on my front deck with friends while watching the snowbirds try to park downtown & knowing I don't have to fight for parking because I live in the midst of the action!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida