Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ENJOY the FL 9-month summer?
Yes, I love the massive heat! 129 56.09%
No, I hate the massive heat! 101 43.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:51 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,283 times

Advertisements

It is a simple and straight forward question. You either like it or you don't.

If you like it, say why. If you hate it, specify why.

In terms of what I am talking about, I am trying to know if anyone enjoys (by that I don't mean 'tolerate'. I mean delights in.

And to define the 9-month summer, I am talking about the period starting around April 15 of every year and ending around the day after Christmas. The 100% daily humidity and oppressive heat from dusk to dawn.

Let's sound off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 08:05 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
It's this easy.

If you live in FL, it is going to be hot. EVERYONE knows that.

What you are asking is yet ANOTHER wasted question where the same group of jaded & whiney people are going to bash & bash & bash.

Leave FL if you don't like the heat.

There are worse things in life.

I feel sorry for all the miserable, unhappy people out there. Wish my biggest issue or concern was heat.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:10 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
It is a simple and straight forward question. You either like it or you don't.

If you like it, say why. If you hate it, specify why.

In terms of what I am talking about, I am trying to know if anyone enjoys (by that I don't mean 'tolerate'. I mean delights in.

And to define the 9-month summer, I am talking about the period starting around April 15 of every year and ending around the day after Christmas. The 100% daily humidity and oppressive heat from dusk to dawn.

Let's sound off!
I am not sure what the complaint about the weather is. I enjoy it. I am looking forward to the cooler weather when we get to the panhandle but regardless I never have found the south Florida weather to be debilitating in any way. I have yet to put on the air except for a few hours in the day. It is still cooling off at night and an open window is great. You also have to gear yourself for living in Florida just as you would in a cold climate. I wear shorts everyday I hardly own anything else and I like sandals.

My windows are tinted to keep the house a little cooler, same with the car. I dress cool to be comfortable. I like to shower before going to bed and I will shower at least one more time during the day. I always wear sun glasses and on occasions a hat but not that much. I time a lot of the things I do around the weather. You won't find me in the noon sun cutting the grass I will most likely do something indoors or run errands the car is of course air conditioned as are most places you go. Anyway you get the picture it would be the same way if you were in a winter climate you would have to plan your days so they were the most comfortable for you.

Although in Florida you are not really limited as you would be if you were snowed in some where. The weather in Florida is no surprise so heading out in the summer dressed in leather may not make much sense any more then being up north in the winter in a tee shirt. I just don't get all the complaining about the weather, is this the first time anybody has ever heard of Florida? Florida can get hot, so what, deal with it. To answer the quistion, I enjoy it.

Last edited by macguy; 05-01-2007 at 08:26 AM..

Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 AM

60 posts, read 107,395 times
I've posted a similar response, maybe it was on the hurricane thread, that heat is relative. I found it much more oppressive when I was living in D.C. because the air was dirt laden and I couldn't breath. I have no trouble breathing here in south Florida. It might be muggy in the summer but it's clean muggy.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:36 AM

131 posts, read 1,034,402 times
I like it.

It keeps the whiners away.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Impressions View Post
I like it.

It keeps the whiners away.
So how come YOU are still here!

He he.... just kidding. I could not resist!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:55 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
i thought we had about 5 months of summer, from may until sept. i think the weather from oct to march is really nice, imo.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
I came to north Florida from Colorado, the place where it can often snow as late as May or as early as September.
Do I need to tell you how I voted on your poll?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 AM

458 posts, read 598,581 times
In Palm Beach County I found that the summers were from early May until early October, about 5 months. The rest of the year was amazing.

And to answer the question, yes we enjoy them. It depends on your lifestyle. We don't have outside jobs, if we were roofers or construction workers we would hate it. We are able to pick our spots in the summer, being active outside early in the day and later in the evening, and hitting the pool to cool off.

It is all relative, my father is from New England and thinks it is blistering hot when it hits 80 degrees. We have no problem up to 90 degrees or so. My experience in Jupiter was that it rarely got above 90-91 degrees, even in the summer. That being said, there are months when it hits 90 every day. There is no denying it, Florida is hot for 5 months a year. But after being stuck in PA where it is cold 5 or more months a year, I will take it.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:57 AM

45 posts, read 177,982 times
hate it...it's just too hot for too long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida