Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ENJOY the FL 9-month summer?
Yes, I love the massive heat! 129 56.09%
No, I hate the massive heat! 101 43.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
If you don't like it move. Many people want to move to Florida for the weather and would be glad to trade for some greenery and having to put on the A/C for a while. The winter way up north gets really damn depressing -- dead leave deciduous trees - I agree with the poster about Boston, you are pretty much confined to the indoors for that period of time. You can go skiing which is very fun if you have $$ and a car. If not there isn't much to do on the weekend. Yeah well I guess skate and play hockey. Bah I never liked the cold.
Sure, I respect that.... And I'm sure you never complained about the cold until you moved, right??? Since you didn't have a right to and all...... I mean if you hated it so much you should have moved right then. Rest of your life be damned, right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Not necessarily. I was born & raised in OH & wasn't sick all the time.

Spent the past 5 yrs in central TX where I suffered from more colds & serious allergy problems than I did in OH.
Yeah, year round allergy issues are as common in Florida as colds are in winter up north...... Funny that flu season always seemed to hit MY area of Florida as well. Nice to know there's a germ free section though.... Special bonus for all of you looking to move down!!!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I wouldn't say I love it or hate. Do I prefer it? Absolutely. I love being in a climate where things grow almost year round. And for that you need at least a sub tropical climate ie; Florida.

Snow if beautiful when it first happens, but it's so darn cold. Then it turns to brown sludge. Gross!

I HATE being COLD. Some advise, If you step into the shade in florida it's usually a few degrees cooler. If one chooses to be a roofer in August, that's just a little crazy to me. At least do road construction, in florida they usually work at night in high traffic areas. My husband is from england and he thinks that is sooo cool.
Sense, logic, reason...... Nice post.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:41 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
What I'm describing is a perfectly legitimate scenario..... Oh not being able to sell a condo is a good thing??? Yay Florida???

You aren't being realistic or fair in your assessment as far as I can tell.... I don't know NG's specific circumstances, but I can speak to the fact that reaching a financial "comfort zone" might seem like a wonderful benefit, but it simply isn't always. ESPECIALLY when real estate prices, taxes and insurance suddenly blow up to rediculous proportions..

Again, I'll ask why all those complaining about the northern winters wait to retire and don't just move down here now??? Why do they wait??? Why b**ch about the winter??? What, they didn't KNOW Massachusettes got cold??? Just move and DO something about it now, right???

Or does that line of thinking only work when you love it here and are annoyed with people who don't???

It isn't that simple to up and move your life and I'll repeat that issues in Florida, INCLUDING WEATHER have seemed to magnify in the last five years....... Please deny it.....
For exactly the same reason, they stay because it benefits them. We are all whores to some degree.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
For exactly the same reason, they stay because it benefits them. We are all whores to some degree.
Totally disarming...

Some of us are bigger whores than others I suppose, but...... yeah...

Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,034 times
Guess we cannot figure out if it's better to worse to live in the heat or the cold for nine months.
Might as well ask the leaves on the trees, then again they are DEAD for 9 months a year in Ohio along with everything else.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:42 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,556 times
I answered the question in the affirmative, but I strongly protest the question -- it is biased and bigoted by declaring the heat to be "massive". That is only the opinion of a poster who tends to hold extreme opinions.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,163 times
Default NG - it's not that black and white

Look, there is no perfect place to live. Asking Floridians to vote on whether or not they like the eternal summer is like asking an Alaskan whether or not they like the cold. It doesn't matter where you live, there aren't any 'perfect' states, just a state that fits most of your needs well.
Moving to FL from the NE and then complaining about the heat is beyond stupid. It's insane.
There's cr@p in every state everywhere you go. You just have to decide what cr@p you're willing to deal with and what cr@ap you're not.

Once you decide, moving to that state and then complaining about it is just a waste of time.

My hubby and I want to relocate to FL or AZ from Pa but I'm not expecting paradise.

The only perfect place to reside is in Heaven.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:01 AM

356 posts, read 1,268,753 times
I love the forever summer. The sun feels good on my skin, I can go outside without having to put on extra clothes. I can just slip in my sandles and off I go. I hate wearing a lot of clothes and I hate having to put a lot of clothes on my son.

That is what I am going to miss when I leave is the forever summer. I have no need for seasons

Old 05-03-2007, 12:49 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
...Again, I'll ask why all those complaining about the northern winters wait to retire and don't just move down here now??? Why do they wait??? Why b**ch about the winter??? What, they didn't KNOW Massachusettes got cold??? Just move and DO something about it now, right???

Or does that line of thinking only work when you love it here and are annoyed with people who don't???

It isn't that simple to up and move your life...
Yes, it is. I moved to Florida -- from Massachusetts -- 35 years ago, when I was 32 years old. I had two kids, 2-1/2 and 1 year old. My wife was also 32. We couldn't stand the cold any longer, so we picked up and moved. We arrived in Port St. Lucie on July 4, 1972. It was hot. I had a slow leak in a tire and I went to the only gas station in town to have it fixed, and I waited 3-1/2 hours because people move slower here. I had to learn to talk slower so people could understand me. Did I mention that it was hot? BUT -- IT WASN'T COLD! And the mosquitos were smaller than the ones in Massachusetts, and didn't leave big welts when thy bit.

The happiest day of my life was when I sold my Simplicty 7 HP snow blower (state of the art at the time) in a June garage sale for peanuts. We lived in Westford, and the previous Winter, it snowed before Thanksgiving and we didn't see the ground again until Easter. It took 30 minutes to get the kids dressed to go outside, then 30 minutes to get them undressed again after being out for 15 minutes. We actually owned snowshoes so we could take the dog for a walk. Every time we got home, the town snow plow had blocked our driveway. If it snowed, my wife sat in the carwith the babies while I shoveled my way into the garage so I could get the snowblower out and clear up to the house (which was about 200' from the garage). The snowblower had shear pins, and I had to take off my gloves to change one, and they stuck to my fingers. I had 3 jackets - one I was wearing, one which was driied and ready to switch, and one which was hanging in the front of the heater, drying out.

My wife's parents lived in Port St. Lucie. We visited in March, 1972. We flew home and landed at Logan on April 12, into a blinding snow storm. That was the straw that broke our backs -- we listed the house for sale two days later. We listed it low to be sure it sold. We had a full-price contract 20 hours later, and the investor who bought the property was willing to wait until July 1 to close. That was it -- we were gone -- history. We didn't care about jobs, benefits, or anything else -- we just had to get out of that God-forsaken state.

We stayed at my wife's parent's house for 3 weeks until we bought and closed on a house of our own, and have never looked back. We would never consider living anywhere but Florida, unless it was maybe on the Equator. I don't ever want to be cold, again. By the way, we rarely even use the air conditioing in ur house, mainly turning it on after it rains to helop take out the humidity. We have paddle fans in every room and excellent cross-ventilation.

It's still hot, BUT IT'S NOT COLD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida