Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ENJOY the FL 9-month summer?
Yes, I love the massive heat! 129 56.09%
No, I hate the massive heat! 101 43.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:17 PM

60 posts, read 107,492 times

Advertisements

Who says Florida is too hot? It's all relative. I've known people who've moved from FL to NC to escape the heat and the humidity only to say it's even hotter up there. I've been here 2 years and it's never gone beyond 93. And on the subject of heat, last year we drove north, we left Vero Beach where it was the usual 93 and it was 97 in Jax at 7 pm. But then, I didn't move to Florida for the weather. I've just come to think of it as a fringe benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,216,432 times
and i've been to jax in the winter when it was 29 degrees outside, got back home to nc where i used to live, and it was warmer.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM

60 posts, read 107,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
and i've been to jax in the winter when it was 29 degrees outside, got back home to nc where i used to live, and it was warmer.

See... it's all relative. Why do we even have this post?

Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM

39 posts, read 53,669 times
hate it and thats why i'm leavning again

Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 PM

39 posts, read 53,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxcurious View Post
Who says Florida is too hot? It's all relative. I've known people who've moved from FL to NC to escape the heat and the humidity only to say it's even hotter up there. I've been here 2 years and it's never gone beyond 93. And on the subject of heat, last year we drove north, we left Vero Beach where it was the usual 93 and it was 97 in Jax at 7 pm. But then, I didn't move to Florida for the weather. I've just come to think of it as a fringe benefit.
while that may be true you don't get seasons in florida, no real spring or fall, unless you are close to GA; so i'd take a worse summer in VA that lasts for 3 months over a 9 month summer any year. when i lived in a 4 seasons climate i did more in the 3 month hot summer than i did in my 15 years in FL because i wasn't sick of it

Old 05-07-2007, 07:26 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,381,194 times
Isnt it May 15th to October 15th? I know i dont find it so oppressive, but many people certainly do....

Old 05-07-2007, 08:47 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,299,474 times
I am finding that everyone's body chemistry is different...I love the no real seasons thing, I would move further south if I could then Orlando...I would be happy with bathing suit weather year around...

I have known people who simply can't adjust to the warm. Thats why its good we can live where ever we want.

My DREAM would be to live in the Carribean...On the other hand my sister loves to ski and snow shoe...she lives in Colorado...I don't care if I ever see Colorado again...

Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 AM

54 posts, read 397,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
It is a simple and straight forward question. You either like it or you don't.

If you like it, say why. If you hate it, specify why.

In terms of what I am talking about, I am trying to know if anyone enjoys (by that I don't mean 'tolerate'. I mean delights in.

And to define the 9-month summer, I am talking about the period starting around April 15 of every year and ending around the day after Christmas. The 100% daily humidity and oppressive heat from dusk to dawn.

Let's sound off!
i LOVE the heat. i assume it has something to do with the fact that i was born and raised in florida and lived there my entire life before moving to st. louis for college. needless to say, i'm moving back to orlando in a few weeks. i can't take winter.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
I dont like it year round but miss the beach. Hate being landlocked.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:30 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I am finding that everyone's body chemistry is different...I love the no real seasons thing, I would move further south if I could then Orlando...I would be happy with bathing suit weather year around...
These are the comments that make me wonder.... Especially when we talk about perspective (and believe me Lisa, this isn't meant as any sort of attack on you personally...), but do any of you that talk about sitting out in the hot weather by the pool every day sipping Mai Tais have a job you have to go to???

I'm not asking to be a jerk. It's a legitimate question because my job didn't allow me to wear shorts and a t-shirt as most don't. Throwing on a starched shirt and tie with slacks is brutal when it's that hot. I often would be sweating between my door and the car (and then a bit worse waiting for the car to cool off after burning my hands trying to get that metal seatbelt on..... Okay, I'm getting a little melodramatic here, but.....).

I'm just wondering sometimes that one's opinion on the weather really must depend a LOT on

A) Whether you are working or retired.

and

B) What your job is if you have one..

Also (I don't wanna open up a can of worms here, but.... what the heck... ), I've always felt working women can escape heat a little better anyway because, let's face it, a dress breathes a bit better than a business suit....

I remember when I first moved to Orlando I hooked up with a temp agency that promised office training after I worked with them for a month..... So they hook me up with this job at Sea World in a smoke house smoking pork, chicken, ribs, etc... all day (Ever wonder where that fabulous luau feast comes from ??? ). Anyway, the assinine thing of it was the required uniform was navy blue polyester pants and a navy blue polo shirt with a navy blue hat...... Needless to say it was HOT HOT HOT HOT!!!! The only reprieve was doing prep work in a walk-in refrigerator. It's AWESOME to be drenched in your own sweat and then walking into a 40 degree refrigerator to prepare chicken legs...... Needless to say I quit after two days.

That story isn't meant to be relevant to the discussion, but just a memory I wanted to share...... THAT stunk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida