Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ENJOY the FL 9-month summer?
Yes, I love the massive heat! 129 56.09%
No, I hate the massive heat! 101 43.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:53 AM

60 posts, read 107,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If you use air conditioning you don't like it. If a person sleeps with air conditioning and says they like the weather they lie and cannot be trusted as to their Florida opinions.

What???

Yes, and if you don't like wearing a tank top and shorts in Maine in January, or going without heat, then you don't like the cold weather and can't be trusted with your opinions of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 06:54 AM

800 posts, read 3,089,283 times
I moved here to escape the cold, snow and ice of Pittsburgh! I love our weather. I still don't have the A/C on! July and August are pretty hot but the rest of the "nine months" mentions are lovely. Winters here are mild compared to my old home.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:17 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,251 times
Red face Here's my 2 cents....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
It's this easy.

If you live in FL, it is going to be hot. EVERYONE knows that.Wish my biggest issue or concern was heat.
You make an excellent point: the heat is the LEAST of your concerns in FL. In FL, we are concerned about year-round tornadoes, high cost of housing, high insurance rates, violent crime, urban sprawl and the destruction of any green area in sight, and ever-decreasing wages.

So good point. The heat is a minor issue. But the poll still stands.... FL fans outnumber the FL-dislikers 2 to 1 in this forum. No wonder the posts in the FL forum are overly positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
I moved here to escape the cold, snow and ice of Pittsburgh! I love our weather. I still don't have the A/C on!
You must be sweaty like these people I see at the bank and grocery store a lot.... you know these people who are too stubborn to turn on their A/C units in our daily 91 - 93 degree weather (May 1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
I lived in Bakersfield, CA for 4 LONG YEARS. It would be 110-114 some days. When people would say... "but it's a dry heat"!!!!
What you are "forgetting" to mention is that AT NIGHT, the weather in the West Coast is 30 degrees cooler and it is breezy. I lived in Aurora, CO before and it could have been 90 during the day and 70 at night (a dry 70, very comfortable). Most people out west (other than So Cal, AZ, NM) use only fans at night because it is so much cooler.

How can you deny the humidity does NOT intensify the heat? The dry air helps lower the heat-feeling but by all means, that would be too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
You don't know hot until you've lived and worked in many parts of Arizona, with Metro Phoenix the undisputed sweatbox of the USA. And don't buy that local BS spin that it's "a dry heat".
I believe you... Phoenix is a nightmare in the summer, BUT again, at night it IS cooler. In FL at night it's 80 degrees and so humid and steamy, you can step outside for 30 seconds and sweat like you walked into a sauna or steamroom. Humidity greatly increases the heat index and makes it hard to breathe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If you use air conditioning you don't like it. If a person sleeps with air conditioning and says they like the weather they lie and cannot be trusted as to their Florida opinions.
Exactly!! People in FL stay inside a LOT!! That is like a winter up north, except there is no snow. People are inside the whole freakin' time.... try getting someone to do anything during the 9-month summer. No one wnats to leave the A/C homes and cars. It is a pain getting groceries.

Not to mention, you go ANYWHERE, ANYTIME during the 9-month summer, you feel sluggish and tired in 5 mins. I used to run cross-country and in the 3-month winter, I could run a 2-mile and only have some heavy breathing. In the 9-month summer, I can BARELY do a 1/2 mile and I am about to pass out!!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:20 AM

Nirvana Guy says "You must be sweaty like these people I see at the bank and grocery store a lot.... you know these people who are too stubborn to turn on their A/C units in our daily 91 - 93 degree weather (May 1). "

It has not hit 90 here! Still in the 80s in Seminole County. And I am outside frequently. My daily grooming habits keep me from sewatting at the store and bank.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:43 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
Nirvana Guy says "You must be sweaty like these people I see at the bank and grocery store a lot.... you know these people who are too stubborn to turn on their A/C units in our daily 91 - 93 degree weather (May 1). "

It has not hit 90 here! Still in the 80s in Seminole County. And I am outside frequently. My daily grooming habits keep me from sewatting at the store and bank.
Yeah whatever.... I have a thermostat in my car and it registered 90 (in the parking garage) yesterday (April 30, 2007) and 93 in the sun.

It has hit 90 several times already. Not to mention when the humidity kicks in, the "heat index" goes WAY above 93. Way above.

Let's educate people about the DANGERS of humid heat. Here is a medical article:

Summer Heat and Humidity Intensify Risks

High temperatures and high humidity raise the risk of heat exhaustion and, worse, heat stroke, especially across the South, Southwest and Midwest regions of North America during the summer work season.

The first stage of danger is heat exhaustion characterized by heavy sweating; slightly elevated body temperature; pale, clammy skin; headache, nausea or vomiting; and unusual weakness, dizziness or fainting.

http://www.lhsfna.org/index.cfm?obje...2B67CC7A4A50F7

Clammy skin, exhaustion, heavy sweating, headache, dizziness..... ALL daily occurences once you step outside during the 6 heaviest months of heat during our 9-month summer.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:59 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
94 F in the shade isn't hot and a heat index of 110 F ain't no thang.

I've been to SC, but not FL in summer, and given my definition, FL is probably not hot, given the stats I've looked at; many parts of the state have no months even averaging 90 F.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 05-02-2007 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-02-2007, 08:06 AM

Weather Almanac

May 2, 2007
Normal High: 86° Record high: 95°
Normal low: 63° Record low: 54°

Yesterday's temps. High:87° | Low: 62°

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MCO Precipitation
Yesterday: 0.00 "
Precip. in May: 0.00 "
Normal for May: 0.08 "
Precip. this year: 5.21 "
Normal precip. year to date: 10.82 "

Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Yeah whatever.... I have a thermostat in my car and it registered 90 (in the parking garage) yesterday (April 30, 2007) and 93 in the sun.

It has hit 90 several times already. Not to mention when the humidity kicks in, the "heat index" goes WAY above 93. Way above.

Let's educate people about the DANGERS of humid heat. Here is a medical article:

Summer Heat and Humidity Intensify Risks

High temperatures and high humidity raise the risk of heat exhaustion and, worse, heat stroke, especially across the South, Southwest and Midwest regions of North America during the summer work season.

The first stage of danger is heat exhaustion characterized by heavy sweating; slightly elevated body temperature; pale, clammy skin; headache, nausea or vomiting; and unusual weakness, dizziness or fainting.

http://www.lhsfna.org/index.cfm?obje...2B67CC7A4A50F7

Clammy skin, exhaustion, heavy sweating, headache, dizziness..... ALL daily occurences once you step outside during the 6 heaviest months of heat during our 9-month summer.
So what, it's like complaining water is wet. Just leave there must be a place you will like better. This is not a debate just a poll, there is no right or wrong. Is this the first you heard it's hot in Florida? Are looking for someone to blame for it? Reminds me of my nephiew who drives a Hummer and does nothing but complain about bad mileage and the price of gas. Excuse me, what did you think you were buying, a Honda? I have never read the Alaska forum, you suppose they get on there and complain about the cold? IDIOT, it's Alaska what did you think it was going to be.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
So what, it's like complaining water is wet. Just leave there must be a place you will like better. This is not a debate just a poll, there is no right or wrong. Is this the first you heard it's hot in Florida? Are looking for someone to blame for it?
Why do you think a good portion of people wait to retire before moving to Florida??? I mean they're moving to Florida FOR the weather usually, but why don't they just pick up and move at the age of 45??? Why do they wait until they retire at 65???

Answer: Like I said in another thread, it would be nice if we could all pick up and move our entire lives because we hate the weather or the place we live..... Many times jobs pick us and you get into a place that you can't get out of without taking a massive financial slap.....

So suppose Nirvana works in a sheet-metal plant (I dont' think he does, but just as an example.). He's worked there for 10 years, has some seniority and is a ways up the payscale. Let's also say he's married with two small children. Now what sense does it make to up and move, lose the seniority and take a paycut with a family to support, no matter how much you may dislike where you are living???

It doesn't.

So please would people stop pretending like it's so easy. It took me five years of planning and plotting to move on with minimal financial ramifications, so I'm not saying it's impossible, but to make it sound so simple isn't fair....

Old 05-02-2007, 08:30 AM

60 posts, read 107,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I have never read the Alaska forum, you suppose they get on there and complain about the cold? IDIOT, it's Alaska what did you think it was going to be.
Perfect analogy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida