Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:14 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
i hear it all the time in miami, black people i know say it all the time when referring to cops. and funny thin is im white, and they never call em a cracker. maybe because im german they dont really think of me as being an american, so the term cracker cant be used on me idk.
Blacks call whites "crackers" all the time, and if they are referring to the police, it's probably safe to say that the majority of police officers are white. Unless you are in Miami or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 AM

716 posts, read 1,238,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
It is a derogatory term towards white people. Similar how the "N" word is used towards blacks. Most blacks who use the term are referring to white officers, who they feel are racist and unfair. Goes back to the old days, when blacks were treated poorly by whites.

But I've heard lots of white people say it referring to the police as well...usually really trashy white people but still white people and it's not just wiggas or whatever you wanna call them. And some of the same white people that call cops crackers call either themselves or their white friends crackers. I get black people calling them crackers that's pretty predictable but what's up with these florida white people? Also I checked out the florida state prisons website and it shows that 2 of the 4 prison directors in florida are black...do they call black officers crackers to? And across the state of florida 46% of male prisoners are white and 60% of females are white

Old 11-10-2009, 10:17 AM

729 posts, read 1,301,609 times
I've heard the term many times but it had little to do with being a cop.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
It has become a derogatory term referring to white trash from the South. The real meaning is almost unknown. Similar to the term Red Neck. Cheap insult.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:40 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It has become a derogatory term referring to white trash from the South. The real meaning is almost unknown. Similar to the term Red Neck. Cheap insult.
No the real meaning is known and you actually hardly ever hear the word used in real life today Florida. A cracker is a Florida cowboy basically. Florida is a big cattle ranch state- I think 2nd to Texas but could be third. In the old times the cattle was herded by men on horseback who used whips to keep them moving. thus because they crack their whips, they were called crackers. That is why we still have a rodeo in Kissimmee with local cowboys competing. When I was teaching we had a cowboy come to our class and show the kids how they used the whips and lassos out on the ranch just West of the Melbourne area .

I have never heard the word used toward cops so it must be a new thing by people who think everyone has to have a label but hate to be labeled themselves. But if the cops are now crackers because they find and arrest them.... then they must be labeling themselves as cattle?

Old 10-11-2016, 07:28 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal Larry View Post
Redneck and Cracker slurs is same or equal to N-Word but nobody says anything?
Redneck is derogatory?? :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida