Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Gee why is that???? The morning it is relatively cool at 80 degrees, the only time you can go out. I never see people out in the evening around here during the summer.
Exactly! I see maybe two people outside running at 10:30 pm. But not at dusk, mosquitos and its still too hot for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The hibernation thing isn't really true. In FL summers the mornings and evenings aren't bad at all so you see many joggers, bike riders etc outside exercising before or after work on week days then on the weekends in the summer, the beaches pools springs waterparks even regular theme parks are filled with people enjoying the day. There are a lot of out door events in FL during summer and they're always crowded. It seems like everyone is hibernating more this past week than in summer. So far most people I have talked to think this is way too cold. I'm a senior in HS and me and my friends usually always eat lunch outside every day. but we've been eating inside all week because of this cold weather.
Maybe in north Florida there are many events during the summer, but in South Florida most events like art festivals, outdoor concerts, etc. for instance don't take place during the hurricane season. They happen during the winter months, just for the fact we have great outdoor weather during the winter months and the summer months are way too uncomfortable and the weather is unpredictable to have outdoor events. And I don't see that many people outdoors jogging or riding their bikes around my neighborhood. Never see the kids in the neighborhood outside playing during the summer.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-06-2010 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Exactly! I see maybe two people outside running at 10:30 pm. But not at dusk, mosquitos and its still too hot for most people.

Maybe in north Florida there are many events during the summer, but in South Florida most events like art festivals, outdoor concerts, etc. for instance don't take place during the hurricane season. They happen during the winter months, just for the fact we have great outdoor weather during the winter months and the summer months are way too uncomfortable and the weather is unpredictable to have outdoor events. And I don't see that many people outdoors jogging or riding their bikes around my neighborhood. Never see the kids in the neighborhood outside playing during the summer.
I'm talking about central FL. I went to an outdoor concert last august. I see people outdoors year round. Like I said less ppl are outside this week than they are over the summer. The summers don't hold ppl hostage in there homes like winter does. btw it's just as hot maybe even hotter in the summer in north Florida than in south Florida.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
^^^That is funny because I am seeing more of my neighbors outside the last week than during the summer months.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
GL - aren't you supposed to be in school??? I thought I remembered you saying you were a senior - Just kidding kind of - I will have to agree with you on the heat in the summer in Orlando at least - I found it to be a little warmer or at least felt a little warmer because the air was stagnate. No breeze at all. Don't get me wrong the breeze in SE Florida doesn't feel like it is coming off of the Arctic in July, but it does offer a little comfort at least it did to me.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM

Doggie - I can't figure out how to paste this cost of living comparison I did for Miami and Manhattan and Queens - the differences were slight. The real problem with all of the comparing is that the calculations take average rents and there are so many projects and low income housing that they include in the stats that i believe this gives a false sense of what NYC is really like if you want to live in a decent area.

Still with all of that taken into account Miami was still cheaper than both NYC and Queens in total. It was even less in Ft. Lauderdale - the area I'm looking to go to.

I think the better comparison would be a nice building (condos) in Miami and compare it to let us say the Time Warner building. It offers every amenity available to man! The only thing it doesn't have is washer and dryer in the home. But having a nice facility that you have in the building is pretty good. Costs extra. I don't know what nice apt. buildings are in Miami - but I would say you could compare Time Warner apartments to the Lowes hotel Suites - if they were apartments - very posh.

This is an apartment I found and it isn't the Time Warner building
1823 listings found1 2 3 4 5 Next
PropertyPriceUpper East Side Apartments for Rent - Live your dream in a Penthouse - South, East and West Open Views - Call Today!!
East 64th Street
Upper East Side
(Second Avenue)

WebID# 3614Hi-rise
Rental
1050 ft²/97.5 M²
4 rooms 2 BR 2 bath
$6,500
1000 square feet - for 6500 - that is a deal!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM

330 posts, read 1,084,930 times
I'll will take a trip this summer and see what all the hoopla is about. It has snowed here almost everyday for the last 10 days except new years day. 40 years of this and Im done!

I never even thought about moving until a trip down to Tampa a couple years ago to see a friend during the winter. It was 75 to 80 down there and we came home to a blizzard up here. I wondered why I was wasting 6 months of my life every year stuck in my house. It made me think about all the activities I could be doing outside all year long. I dont enjoy going outside in the cold so winter activites are out of the question up here.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Really? Central FL, is not much different from here in SWFL, maybe like 6-7 degrees warmer here on average. I lived there too(Winter Park), and in Melbourne, Bradenton, Vero Beach. It is hottest here over ANY of the other places I lived, that is EXPERIENCE, I am not just rambling off... Never said it is as extreme. I am saying it is the same as winter up there, it sucks to be outside during the summer here. There is a HUGE difference right now where I live, from how many people are out and about at the present time over the summer months. Very big difference.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
I'll will take a trip this summer and see what all the hoopla is about. It has snowed here almost everyday for the last 10 days except new years day. 40 years of this and Im done!

I never even thought about moving until a trip down to Tampa a couple years ago to see a friend during the winter. It was 75 to 80 down there and we came home to a blizzard up here. I wondered why I was wasting 6 months of my life every year stuck in my house. It made me think about all the activities I could be doing outside all year long. I dont enjoy going outside in the cold so winter activites are out of the question up here.
While Florida does indeed usually have excellent beautiful winter weather, some have found that the summer heat and humidity can be intolerable for its intensity and its longer span than usually found elsewhere in the country.

There are issues that go along with that heat/humidity that can curtail outdoor activities for some who find them intolerable - mosquitoes, bugs, crawlies, fire ants, allergies, sudden and frequent downpours, threats of storms and hurricanes.

Many do, however, find a way to work around some of these issues - going out early before it gets too uncomfortable, using repellents, frequent exterminating of bugs, being in a state of hurricane preparedness, etc.

Sure, one gets away from the snowstorms, blizzards, sleet, slush, subzero wind chills...but as lovely and enticing as Florida is, do know that for most people outdoor year round activities do not always involve just putting on a pair of shorts, a tank top, flip flops, and rushing out into a lovely tropical breeze at anytime of day for tennis and golf.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Chris - I'm not familiar with SW Florida, but I have been told that it feels warmer in the SW than in the SE parts of Florida.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Chris - I'm not familiar with SW Florida, but I have been told that it feels warmer in the SW than in the SE parts of Florida.
Oh yeah, it is a lot warmer and humid here. I remember coming over here when I lived in Vero beach to visit my mom in October a few years back, when I left Vero it was not very humid, about 80, pretty nice. I got out of the car in Cape Coral and it was pretty shocking at how much hotter it was and humid. It was 91 here..... In October! SE Florida has a decent seabreeze all the time. Central FL has NO breeze, it's really hot there. I prefer the east coast of FL to anywhere else, but my job is here, and I do like Estero a lot. I am looking at going to north FL, but ???

Don't get me wrong, winter and temps in the 0's and negatives are crappy too. I need to live where it is 77 all day all year, dew point of 50, humidity of 50, and night time temps of 60.... Never happen though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida