Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:24 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
You're also fairly young, right? Just wait until you get to be 60 plus years old, you won't love those cold temps anymore! Cold weather and 60 + yr old bones don't get along!
I am 61 and it doesn't bother me at all. My former neighbor was in her 70s and still shoveled snow.

It doesn't happen to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:47 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,697,701 times
Lastest nowcast for central FL (1:19pm), the sleet/rain/flurries are gone:

Latest radar trend showing that the wintry mix of precipitation had ended from Orlando north and will end slowly from Cocoa and Melbourne south. Brisk winds...overcast skies and a cold air mass moving down the peninsula will limit afternoon high temperatures to the upper 30s away from the coast to the mid 40s from Vero Beach south. The cold temperatures and chilly northwest winds to 15 mph will make it feel like it is in the 30s over most of east central Florida for the remainder of the day. Tonight promises to very cold with overnight lows in the mid and upper 20s away from the coast and lower 30s Melbourne south. Winds to 15 mph will make it feel like it is in the 20s along the coast from Cocoa south and the teens away from the coast. Remember to cover or take in cold sensitive plants and to provide a warm environment for pets staying outdoors

Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
You're also fairly young, right? Just wait until you get to be 60 plus years old, you won't love those cold temps anymore! Cold weather and 60 + yr old bones don't get along!
A friend from college moved to Florida. Her parents are about 70 years old and live in upstate NY. She said she's trying to convince them to move to Florida, but they refuse. They don't mind shoveling, and upstate NY gets a whole lot of snow (obviously).

Old 01-09-2010, 12:32 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,522 times
A friend of mine posted some pic of her car this morning in Daytona and there was definately snow on it. She had just barely enough to scrape together a snowball to lob at her sleeping son lol. Amazing.

Here in Tampa Bay it hasn't snowed but I had to chase down one of my dogs who got out the gate in my pj's down the block and the slight rain that was coming down felt like daggers. Not liking this at all. Outside thermometer says 38 degrees and it's 2:30 in the freaking afternoon!!!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:58 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,697,701 times
When I went outside this morning I got hit by freezing temps, strong wind, and ice pellets/sleet. we'll be lucky to get out of the 30s today.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times
Ok, so, let's go here..........how many surgeries have you had? I had a hip replace in 2005 and a rotator cuff (shoulder) surgery in 2006. The rotator cuff injury-turned surgery, came directly from a fall in ice/snow! If people want to live in your former neighbor's age bracket and still shovel snow.......have at it! But, if they fall and seriously injure themselves, what then? Many people in Colorado will say to potienial newcomers "If you don't want to live in snow, don't move here!" The same goes for Florida. If a person doesn't want heat/humidity, don't move here! For us, heat/humidity is much, much better than ANY of the cold weather we have been having!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am 61 and it doesn't bother me at all. My former neighbor was in her 70s and still shoveled snow.

It doesn't happen to everyone.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default I have had NO surgeries

Quote:
Ok, so, let's go here..........how many surgeries have you had? I had a hip replace in 2005 and a rotator cuff (shoulder) surgery in 2006. The rotator cuff injury-turned surgery, came directly from a fall in ice/snow! If people want to live in your former neighbor's age bracket and still shovel snow.......have at it! But, if they fall and seriously injure themselves, what then? Many people in Colorado will say to potienial newcomers "If you don't want to live in snow, don't move here!" The same goes for Florida. If a person doesn't want heat/humidity, don't move here! For us, heat/humidity is much, much better than ANY of the cold weather we have been having!
I don't even take ANY medications, even at the age of 61. That IS exactly my point. You don't automatically become sick and invalid once you reach a certain age, which is what so many people seem to imply.

I was addressing the issue of age. I just used that snow shoveling, "cold weather" as an example. How about pushing "other" people around in a wheelchair and lifting them and changing diapers. Nothing to do with climate of a state. I've been doing that for the past 10 years. Maybe you think I should be the one at my age in the wheelchair and having my diapers changed?

Again, we don't all age the same and you cannot make blanket statements about "old people".

Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,575,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
When I went outside this morning I got hit by freezing temps, strong wind, and ice pellets/sleet. we'll be lucky to get out of the 30s today.
Darned! And I wanted to move from NY to Florida to get away from that!

Old 01-09-2010, 02:48 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
This has been an odd Deep Freeze , dipped all the way down to Miami. and Now Snow Flurries in northern Florida

Old 01-09-2010, 03:01 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
according to the radar on the news more sleet/fluries are moving into Orlando right now and could last til around 2 or 3. It's 33 degrees out right now at noon

It's 5pm now. Didnt see anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida