Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,513 times

Advertisements

[quote=cmwil4;14058792]I am also going the week of June 19-26. I do not know if I need to cancel. I live in Nashville, TN. and my husband's trucking plant is completely under water from the flood this past weekend. We do not know when he will get to go back. We need some light at the end of the tunnel.

We'll also be there that week, June 19-26th, in Seaside, so a little north of PCB. Our vrbo rental will let us cancel at anytime due to the incident. So we're waiting until it looks like Fl is in the clear. I'm really hoping these containment things work...Walton county beaches also plan to use hay to gather/soak up the oil as well. So hoping it never reaches the beautiful clean beaches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,913 times
We are planning our vacation to PCB on July 10th-17th. Should we cancel our plans?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:13 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderlovingal View Post
We are planning our vacation to PCB on July 10th-17th. Should we cancel our plans?

No, more oil than this spilled during Katrina. Nothing happened to the beaches than, nothing is going to happen now..... if they are able to cap it with this box. Wait and see what happens. Although serious, I think the media is overreacting.... as always.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,889 times
I have a vacation planned for May 23-30 in PCB.. I called our hotel and they told me that the beaches have been unaffected so far.. Does anyone know if the oil is projected to reach PCB by then?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
No, more oil than this spilled during Katrina. Nothing happened to the beaches than, nothing is going to happen now..... if they are able to cap it with this box. Wait and see what happens. Although serious, I think the media is overreacting.... as always.
Not quite.

Quote:
As a result of both storms, a total volume of 17,652 barrels (or roughly three-quarters of a million gallons) of total petroleum products, of which 13,137 barrels were crude oil and condensate, was spilled from platforms, rigs and pipelines. 4,514 barrels were refined products from platforms and rigs.
“Not One Drop Of Oil Spilled”? Not Quite - CBS News

With this oil rig explosion, 5000 barrels of oil are gushing out per day. That adds up to over 75,000 barrels thus far!

BTW, was BP successful in capping the well today?

Old 05-08-2010, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,792 times
My trip to PCB is the 23rd of this month should i Cancel?

Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 11,675 times
I have been reading for the past hour everything I can find on Destin area. Newspapers, blogs and local sites in the panhandle area.
As of today there is no oil on the beaches or odor from the spill there. They have the booms ready to place and are training ppl in 3 different levels to help with placement and clean up if and when it hits. Eglin Air Force Base is cooperating with the PCB and Destin area to help in any way they can.
We are scheduled to go down May 15th and can't get a refund on a 3 bath condo so we are going. I will post when we get there what is going on. At this point it is up to mother nature and getting the deep sea ice out of the cap hood that is over the rig a mile under water.
Waiting anxiously and determind to have a great vacation with my family at all costs.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 11,675 times
Latest good article I came upon might give some hope.

Some locals optimistic as they wait for oil's impact (PHOTOS) | optimistic, impact, photos - News - TheDestinLog.com (http://www.thedestinlog.com/news/optimistic-13725-impact-photos.html - broken link)

Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,583 times
My daughter lives in Panama City Beach and participated in a run over the bridge this morning. She said she could see the water turning brown and some black on the rocks from high tide. I'm afraid the handwriting is on the wall. Sad, sad, sad!!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmamablondie View Post
My daughter lives in Panama City Beach and participated in a run over the bridge this morning. She said she could see the water turning brown and some black on the rocks from high tide. I'm afraid the handwriting is on the wall. Sad, sad, sad!!!!
There's no way she saw oil in PCB, it hasn't even reached Pensacola at this point.

According to the time lapse photos on the news last night they predict it to go west towards western Louisiana, not towards PCB (for now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida