Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 PM

178 posts, read 392,574 times

Advertisements

I was planning on moving to Lakeland from Sarasota over a year ago, than I got hospitalized for the first of three times, on disability for about five months, back at work a month and a half, and than laid off. Fortunately I got a two week temp job that has so far lasted over 5 months, but that could really be ending soon, as well as needing to find another place to live soon, and still wanting to get out of Sarasota.

Sarasota has some nice areas, and it is more progressive and green minded than much of FL, but well, it still just isn’t me, too flat for one thing, too snobby for another. I’m attracted to Lakeland’s setting with a rolling landscape, the lakes, parks, and a very attractive downtown area. Small library, but nice, as well as a wonderful art center, and the Lakeland center for meetings, conventions, sports, shows, etc. very nice. The collages seem to be good there as well, and I want to get back to school. I like what I’ve seen of Polk Community Collage better than what I have of Manatee Community Collage. I know Lakeland has it’s problems (everyplace does) and I’m concerned about how conservative (churchy) it is. But from what I’ve seen there’s a lot more I like there than not, and a lot more I like there than in Sarasota, including the location between Tamps and Orlando. Although the libraries and bookstores are bigger here.

I think I could do a nice web site on the area to bring in income (something I have NO interest in doing in Sarasota) but that will take time to develop. I’m concerned about finding a place to live and a job in this economy. I’m also thinking of Orlando, I like it a lot too, but I know the cost of living is higher there, not sure that the job market or wages are really any better there. Plus I feel I could be more effective getting a web site and related business going in a smaller market than a big one. I'm not really familiar with areas East or North of Orlando, so I maybe missing some good areas there. I’m thinking I want to be close to Orlando but not in it, and I want a place with charm and character that’s not totally flat, and not too small either.

So my main concern is finding a place to live and a job, I’m almost certain jobs have to be better in Lakeland even now, with it’s more diverse base than in Sarasota which mainly caters to wealthy snowbirds from the North with very little other diversity, but I could be wrong.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 06:03 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,147,881 times
About the jobs - like almost everywhere, Polk County has suffered in this department, but it is almost assuredly better than Sarasota, which is always a tight market even in a good economy.

One great thing about Lakeland is its location right between Tampa and Orlando. Depending where you live it is not a bad commute to either city. My husband made the commute from downtown Lakeland to downtown Tampa for a year and a half, usually about 45 minutes.

Lakeland definitely is more conservative than Sarasota, but we have never found it to be too "churchy" or in-your-face about anything. It's mostly live and let live. The best areas to live are in the downtown south and southside, but I believe you did some exploring on that. I think you would like living in Lake Morton area, very historic and hilly in downtown, the library is right there, and the beautiful swan sanctuary. There are many apartments and rentals there along with the big beautiful craftsman houses, and it is my favorite part of Lakeland. It's also not far from Florida Southern on Lake Hollingsworth.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, and I hope things start getting better for you soon.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
About the jobs - like almost everywhere, Polk County has suffered in this department, but it is almost assuredly better than Sarasota, which is always a tight market even in a good economy.

One great thing about Lakeland is its location right between Tampa and Orlando. Depending where you live it is not a bad commute to either city. My husband made the commute from downtown Lakeland to downtown Tampa for a year and a half, usually about 45 minutes.

Lakeland definitely is more conservative than Sarasota, but we have never found it to be too "churchy" or in-your-face about anything. It's mostly live and let live. The best areas to live are in the downtown south and southside, but I believe you did some exploring on that. I think you would like living in Lake Morton area, very historic and hilly in downtown, the library is right there, and the beautiful swan sanctuary. There are many apartments and rentals there along with the big beautiful craftsman houses, and it is my favorite part of Lakeland. It's also not far from Florida Southern on Lake Hollingsworth.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, and I hope things start getting better for you soon.
Very nice thoughtful reply gypsychic!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:05 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Nice comments. I would have given you a rep point but the website would not let me. Don't know why.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks gypsychic,

It's great to hear from you and I'm glad to hear you say that Lakeland is mostly live and let live. I remember when I used to listen to local Christian radio that all the big concerts where in Lakeland and now that I, well, no longer listen to Christian radio and have become more progressive in my life views, I was a bit concerned about fitting in.

I think you are right that I'd like living in the Lake Morton area as I like that area very much, the library and art center set up there are very nice. Actually, while I'm not an artist (apart from some photography) the art that I see in Lakeland, at the Polk museum, downtown, around the lakes, etc. at some galleries, gives me a very good feel about the town. It feels more accessible than Sarasota, I've been in a few galleries here and gotten looks like what are YOU doing here. I don't like that snobbishness.

Another thing is that Sarasota really doesn't seem to have the economic diversity of a real functioning city, it mostly caters to rich snowbirds with very little else, as you said it's always a tight market here even in a good economy. Sarasota is great if you can drop a few hundred to a thousand dollars to take a few friends out to dinner, otherwise, not so great. IMHO Lakeland seems to have a much more diverse economic base and mix.

The hills are a big part of why I like Lakeland, there are a few hills in Orlando but not many, while I'm not that familiar with east of Orlando, what I know of it is very flat. I've been through Mt. Dora once that seems nice but too small.

I think I saw somewhere that you moved back to Sarasota, I'm surprised at that, I thought you called it Sorrysota, it seems your feelings have changed about that, have they on Lakeland as well?

Old 02-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Dave - I answered you via private message.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:24 PM

33 posts, read 291,769 times
Uh-Oh! Now you've got me worried, gypsychic. I was wondering the same thing as explorer dave.... have your feelings on Lakeland changed? I'm planning a move to Lakeland as soon as we can sell our current home, but is there something I need to know? I have trust in your opinions.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrie View Post
Uh-Oh! Now you've got me worried, gypsychic. I was wondering the same thing as explorer dave.... have your feelings on Lakeland changed? I'm planning a move to Lakeland as soon as we can sell our current home, but is there something I need to know? I have trust in your opinions.
I have nothing but high praise for Lakeland. We moved for personal reasons, plus a good real estate opportunity elsewhere. I don't want to get into all of it here. Lakeland is a great place to live, depending on one's wants and needs. For those who want a fast -paced urban lifestyle with lots of nightlife, this is not the place. But if you appreciate a clean, friendly, smaller city with vintage charm and some bigger city amenities, beautiful parks and lakes, abundant and cheap-or-free recreational opportunities, an appreciation of the arts, and beautiful, diverse birds and wildlife, this is the place.

I try to be balanced and honest in my assessments, and all of this is just my own opinion, observation and experience. Right now is also a great time to relocate here, as prices have gone down immensely, even from last year.

Good luck to all who are thinking of moving to Lakeland, I am always happy to answer your questions.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Gypsychic, thanks again for your help and input. While I'm sure that Lakeland isn't as socially/politically progressive as I'd like, I don't think anyplace in FL is! Still it really does have great charm and character, plus I am very impressed with the amount of art in a city of it's size, and good art too, not some safe T. Kincade type garbage. That gives me hope that maybe it's not as redneck as I've heard from some!

While I like a more urban lifestyle, I prefer a smaller city urban, to big city urban, but with big city nearby. I have no interest in night clubs etc. The parks, collages, and art that Lakeland has is much more my pace. I'd kind of like to have a loft overlooking Munn Park, except that the train tracks are right there, and that's a busy line!

Dave

Old 02-16-2009, 06:05 PM

872 posts, read 1,714,261 times
Seriously, I couldn't imagine leaving Sarasota for Lakeland. I, unfortunately, lived a couple years in Lakeland and in the summer its hotter than you can imagine! And for a young guy its the last place you want to move to. Why not look into western NC or Kentucky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida