Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,887 times

Advertisements

I'm watching the director of Food Inc. on Bonnie Hunt. In a clip from the movie, a mom is complaining about the cost of fast food vs real food. And she says that she can't afford real food b/c it's too expensive. They showed her "having" to get burgers and sodas for her family of four instead of a real dinner.

OK, THAT IS SUCH A CROCK OF S$%$!

I know that fast food is cheap. I eat way too much of it. But if you can afford $10 to get everyone a burger and an all you can drink soda, you could have afforded to put that into groceries that would have made at least 2 meals!!!

$4 4lbs chicken drums or thighs
$2 2 bags frozen veggies
$1 bag of rice
$1 2-3 onions
$2 fruit (cut it up and make a pie from scratch if you want dessert)
Ice water or even koolaid (.20/packet) to drink

She could have used that $2 to get fresh veggies from a local farmer's market or stall if she didn't want frozen.

Goverments (local, state, federal, whichever) need to start educating people on how to SHOP, b/c people who think it's too expensive to buy REAL food have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,272,051 times
Sounds good to me...people are just lazy...

Old 08-13-2010, 11:39 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I'm watching the director of Food Inc. on Bonnie Hunt. In a clip from the movie, a mom is complaining about the cost of fast food vs real food. And she says that she can't afford real food b/c it's too expensive. They showed her "having" to get burgers and sodas for her family of four instead of a real dinner.

OK, THAT IS SUCH A CROCK OF S$%$!

I know that fast food is cheap. I eat way too much of it. But if you can afford $10 to get everyone a burger and an all you can drink soda, you could have afforded to put that into groceries that would have made at least 2 meals!!!

$4 4lbs chicken drums or thighs
$2 2 bags frozen veggies
$1 bag of rice
$1 2-3 onions
$2 fruit (cut it up and make a pie from scratch if you want dessert)
Ice water or even koolaid (.20/packet) to drink

She could have used that $2 to get fresh veggies from a local farmer's market or stall if she didn't want frozen.

Goverments (local, state, federal, whichever) need to start educating people on how to SHOP, b/c people who think it's too expensive to buy REAL food have no clue.

Not sure whats she's buying for $10 at a fast food joint. Last time I looked it was about $5 per meal so she would be spending $20 or more.

I'm like you, give me $10 and I'll find a meal that I can cook for my family. Sounds more like Bonnie is just to lazy to cook and is looking for a way to justify it buy blaming it on the cost.

busta

Old 08-13-2010, 11:57 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,978 times
For a family of 4:

1 lb of ground beef $2.00 - $2.50
1 bag of potatoes $3.00
1 pack of hamburger buns - $1.50
1 box of Hawaiian Punch drink powders $1.00 (Makes 8 drinks and that's enough for 2 meals and no sugar added or even needed)
Lettuce and tomato for the burgers or for a side salad - $3

Grand total - $10.50 - $11.00. She has leftover drink powders, haumburger buns, lettuce, and potatoes for some other meal.

I'm sure she has ketchup, onion, mayo, salad dressing (or items to make some from scratch) and pickles at home. If not then she should invest in these items at the dollar store. For less than $4 she can get enough of these items to use for several meals.

If she gets a deep freezer or even use the freezer on her refrigerator, she could stock pile these items when they are on sale or loss leader.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,907 times
Actually, fast food has gone up in price. Not so cheap anymore. But ya you`re right, you can buy food that`s good for you at the grocery store for the same price as fast food.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:54 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,520 times
your list sounds really good! I try to avoid fast food as well.. I mean think about the children's health! (and yours and yours partner as well). Fast food is okay once in a while.

Yes, it will bother me too if this was the lifestyle that a friend of mine live by.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:26 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Common sense is uncommon, but criminy we don't need the flipping government to tell us these things. What about home ec. classes, family or women's magazines, word of mouth. These things fit the bill in the past.

I do think it's easier to feed several people inexpensively at the grocery store than it is one. They call it economy of scale, also known as buying in bulk.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:49 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
Whatever she thinks she is saving at the grocery store she will eventually spend at the doctor's office. Diabetes, high blood pressure, lack of vitamins, and the list goes on.

To each, his own.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:56 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Or the taxpayers will foot that medical bill.

It seems to be an unfortunate fact that the less money people make the less likely they are to have healthy choices.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:04 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
Well, I think it is also a matter of convenience...

So many people (I am speaking in general, I have not seen the show mentioned before) think it is easier to grab something at a drive-thru instead of going to the local produce market where they have way cheaper prices or go through the weekly ads and choose accordingly?

IMO, it is not just the price, it is the convenience too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink