Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:20 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
This recipe is hands-down the best I have ever seen for guacamole.
Has cumin in it!
Guacamole Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
I agree Kshe !! Looks like Alton my fave FN guy has it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM

509 posts, read 1,167,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
we were served canapes of rice tortilla chips topped with guacamole & salmon roe.
That is bizarre.

Well, onions are just about my favorite part, so I will not be leaving those out.

I will add tomatoes, off the cob corn, and some cumin and give that a go. Cottage cheese sounds interesting because I love the stuff, but I'm not sure about adding it to my guac yet.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:27 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I agree Kshe !! Looks like Alton my fave FN guy has it right.
Florida avocados are in season, think I am gonna have to run to the produce stand!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:35 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Florida avocados are in season, think I am gonna have to run to the produce stand!
That's good and you know finding good avocados especially in quantity is tough. Here anyway. Probably why we don't make guacamole much these days. We did find some pretty good ones recently not sure where from. A good creamy avocado is a great find. Enjoy!!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Well lots of interesting add ons to the Guac. I think my Abuelita would probably throw-up over a few of them. Alas to each his own. For those of you who add sour cream or mayo*uck* to your guac. Try this product instead.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
Avocado
Diced jalapeno
Diced onion
Diced garlic
Diced tomato
Cilantro
Lime juice
Salt
Pepper
A tad bit of sour cream

Eta, I will use crema next time. I've been meaning to that up but never remember since it isn't on my usual grocery list. Have y'all checked out the price of sour cream lately? Ouch! I don't know why it's so high now.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:25 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My favorite way to make guacamole is really, really simple...

coarsely mash a couple of avocados with a fork
Mix in salt, freshly squeezed lime juice, and onion juice to taste

Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,530,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
I make guacamole fairly often. Most people like mine. I usually use differing amounts of the following fresh ingredients:

Mashed avacados
Diced onion (yellow or white)
Minced Serrano or Jalapeno peppers
Cut up cilantro (have tried anywhere from barely cut to pureed)
Lime juice
Salt

I have tried it with garlic, but I dislike the aftertaste that it creates in the guacamole. This is probably the only thing that I do not like garlic in.

I am also a firm believer in the "there is no such thing as too much cilantro" rule.

So anyway, I'm about to make some guacamole again for a potlach/potluck and was wondering if anyone had some clever ideas for other ingredients that might "kick it up a notch". Thanks.
Cumin!

Also, instead of dicing tomatoes, if you are in a bit of a hurry, throw some ready-made salsa in there. It'll change the color of it, but it'll be tasty.

Some people put a bit of sour cream in it....it makes it more creamy.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:37 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,530,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Avocado
Diced jalapeno
Diced onion
Diced garlic
Diced tomato
Cilantro
Lime juice
Salt
Pepper
A tad bit of sour cream

Eta, I will use crema next time. I've been meaning to that up but never remember since it isn't on my usual grocery list. Have y'all checked out the price of sour cream lately? Ouch! I don't know why it's so high now.
Every thing is high! I feel as if I am cleaning out my bank account every time I go to the grocery store. It's so depressing.....

Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,382 times
Leave the avocado pit in to keep it from turmning dark. Learned this from a hispanic friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink