Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

Thanks, y'all.

Cast iron with enamel is a whole different deal.
I actually had one of those (handed down from my mom) for many years, and liked it, but I think an old roommate swiped it from me.
I also have a couple stainless steel copper-bottomed revereware pans, but one is small, the other tiny.

Plain cast iron is too sticky to me. I know, I know, it just has to be seasoned etc etc. But real seasoning can't be done in a couple hours--I just don't have the patience for that. I've heard you can even buy them seasoned now.
But I don't think I'd go for that.
I do have a well-seasoned, well-used wok.

In terms of my cooking needs:
We grill or broil our steaks/seafood. I make a lot of pasta and sauces.
Seems like l use a lot of olive oil and real butter, too.
I make some kind of Mexican about once a month. I have a Dutch oven (cast iron! ) that goes on cooktop or in the oven that I frequently use in the winter.

Really, there is probably not an all-purpose pan, though I would think a heavy-bottomed, fairly deep saute pan would come close.

For me, ease of cleaning is going to be an important factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
That's funny, I honestly find my cast iron to be my simplest cookware to use and keep clean, and all you have to do is rub it with shortening and bake it to season it, so that's a couple minutes of actual work. But I'm not in the business of trying to talk other people into things they don't like.

To answer your question, my second favorite cookware is my all-clad stuff. It's very expensive (not as bad as le creuset tho!) but it works well. It's a bit of pain cleaning it as you're not supposed to put it in the dishwasher, and maybe I've messed up somewhere along the way with care (yes, I use barkeepers friend) because they're not nearly as shiny and pretty as it started out. But they still work as well as day one.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:23 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Cil, you can often find All-Clad at places like TJ Maxx for reduced prices. Same with Le Creuset. They're still expensive, but as you can tell, people seem to like them. I have a mix of cast iron pans and a nice complete set of heavy stainless saucepans from Dillards. Can't remember the brand, but they are much better than my old Revere Ware.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Stainless Steel is one of the worst metals to conduct heat.

I have a mixture of Le Creuset and Chantal, the Chantal is enamal on steel and the Le Creuset is enamal on cast iron.

I also have an grill that goes across two burners that is plain cast iron.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
I know you said you like cast iron, but that of about all we use around here. The only other thing I use is copper, old stuff, thick and strong, great for sugars, candies, sauces, reductions and stuff like that.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:51 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Stainless Steel is one of the worst metals to conduct heat.

I have a mixture of Le Creuset and Chantal, the Chantal is enamal on steel and the Le Creuset is enamal on cast iron.

I also have an grill that goes across two burners that is plain cast iron.
Yes, if it is cheap stainless, this is true...however, as I stated before All-Clad all stainless steel cookware rates #1 in every cookware test I have seen because of it's excellent conduction of heat.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:58 AM

Thanks guys.
I'll just keep my eye out for the right saucepan.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:13 PM

255 posts, read 821,643 times
cil -- I purchased a set of enamel-coated cast iron pans from HSN about 6 months ago, and am very pleased with them. I had a full set of Lodge Logic pots and pans, but they were a bit unwieldy (and cast iron pans and porcelain sinks don't mix well). I love cast iron, esp. the dutch ovens, for just about everything, but the clean-up was laborious, so I decided to try the enamel over iron ones. The clean-up is a breeze, food cooks beautifully, and it's an added bonus that the pieces are nice enough to use as serveware, also. The enamel coated cookware also handles cooking acidic foods better than regular cast iron. I was skeptical about buying from HSN, as it was my first purchase, but I figured I could spend the $200 for a set or spend the same amount on maybe two Le Creuset pieces.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:45 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Yes, if it is cheap stainless, this is true...however, as I stated before All-Clad all stainless steel cookware rates #1 in every cookware test I have seen because of it's excellent conduction of heat.

I used to work in gourmet kitchen stores...no matter what kind of stainless steel it is, the properties of the metal do not change. The only thing that rescues All Clad is that they recognize this AND add either copper or Aluminum to help along the Stainless Steel AND of course they have their anodized line as well. Soft Aluminum is not as pretty all on its own. Thats why products made of Anodized Aluminum are so popular, they are almost indestructible AND they are easy to clean and keep pretty.

I have never been a fan of pans with Stainless Steel in them...
ConsumerReports.org - Pots & pans: Buying advice 4/05 (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/cooking-cleaning/pots-pans-buying-advice-405/index.htm?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=2&searchTe rm=pan&EXTKEY=SG72H00&CMP=KNC-CROHOMEGARDG&HBX_OU=50&HBX_PK=cookware_buying_guid e - broken link)

Check out this link, it explains pretty well the differences in cookware.

Another thing that is important for me is that the handle of ALL my cookware be oven safe, I often put something in the oven to keep it warm while I am finishing up something else. Thats one of the reasons I love Le Creuset so much, easy to clean, can go in the oven and on the stove top AND depending on what color you get, you can actually use it to serve on the table with.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the continuing input.
Yikes, now I feel pressured to get something, but I think I'll hold off awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink