Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

I eat a lot of salad. Once in a while I will eat a salad and a half hour or so later after eating it I will experience "digestive upset" (i.e. gas pain, diarrhea and similar things). In the past I have just written it off as being "one of those things", but I have noticed lately that when I eat at one particular place, this happens every single time.

Typically, I never have problems like this after eating salad (I am a big salad eater), but every single time I eat at this one place, I have these problems and sometimes they are EXTREMELY bad.

Someone I was talking to about this said that maybe they use a commercial product that is designed to keep the lettuce fresh looking when it would otherwise be turning brown. She said that she worked at a restaurant many years ago and they used this product to keep the lettuce from turning brown. I also recalled hearing about this from a family member who used to work at a restaurant. She said that she wasn't sure if they sprinkled it on actually washed the lettuce head in water containing this chemical, but that it did cause stomach upsets for some people.

I am wondering if you know what this chemical/product is and if it is still being used. The reason is that I want to be able to CALL the restaurant ahead of time and ask them if they use it. Believe me when I tell you that having these issues is very unpleasant, and if I can avoid them by making a phone call, then that is what I will do.

Normally, I wouldn't bother but since this keeps happening repeatedly when I eat at one place, I am suspicious that this might be what is going on.

Any info is appreciated.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
I have never seen or heard of any chemical being used to keep lettuce fresh.
I'm not saying one does not exsist, most places I know of and worked at simply crisp their lettuce using ice water and drain it well.
Also many have switched to using plastic vegetable knives so the metal does not react with the produce, turning it brown.

The only thing I have ever hear of being added to a food to prevent browning is acid.. Lemon juice, lime juice or a chemical additive in processed foods.

I'd call and ask, it sure couldnt hurt though i'm not sure if they would tell you the truth..

Most foodborne illness effects are not felt untill about 6 to 12 hours, BUT it's not always the case.
If it was just a one time deal with you getting sick I wouldnt rule out some sort of microbial infection from cross contamination..
It just doesnt seem like that was the cause..

I just did a little looking around on the Net, it seems you are not the only one with problems coming from bagged, prechopped lettuce.

Last edited by Caligula1; 03-27-2011 at 06:46 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
I think you are definitely on to something being in the lettuce. DH and his brother both get really sick if they eat at certain places. I'm not sure if it's just the salad or some additive/preservative certain places put in all of their foods but there are some places neither of them can eat. We used to go the this pizza place when our kids were little. It was a local mom and pop kind of Chuck E Cheese place with games and a pizza and salad buffet. We would go there occasionally but it got to the point that we jut had to stop. DH learned that he about 45 minutes from the time we finished eating until he had better back to the house or suffer the consequences. After thinking about it we figured out it must be the salad bar, because before kids, we would just get takeout pizza from this same place and it never bothered him. I don't think it was some kind of food borne illness because it happened every time we went and it only happened to him.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Someone I was talking to about this said that maybe they use a commercial product that is designed to keep the lettuce fresh looking when it would otherwise be turning brown. She said that she worked at a restaurant many years ago and they used this product to keep the lettuce from turning brown. I also recalled hearing about this from a family member who used to work at a restaurant. She said that she wasn't sure if they sprinkled it on actually washed the lettuce head in water containing this chemical, but that it did cause stomach upsets for some people.
There were several products in the 1980s that were marketed to keep lettuce from turning brown. Basically, they were MSG based. They were taken off the market about the same time that MSG was linked to increased incidence of asthma in children consuming the product.

For the record, the item was dissolved in water and the cut lettuce was dipped in it.

You can pretty much accomplish the same by doing the same with citric acid.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
ive never heard of it. i believe with raw foods like you would find in a salad there is greater risk of food poisoning. also, since salad components are often very perishable, if they arent keeping up with fresh product you may be eating something thats past its prime.

i can recall one instance relatively recently where a place i often get salad at threw some seriously rancid onions on my salad.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 AM

665 posts, read 1,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I eat a lot of salad. Once in a while I will eat a salad and a half hour or so later after eating it I will experience "digestive upset" (i.e. gas pain, diarrhea and similar things). In the past I have just written it off as being "one of those things", but I have noticed lately that when I eat at one particular place, this happens every single time.

Typically, I never have problems like this after eating salad (I am a big salad eater), but every single time I eat at this one place, I have these problems and sometimes they are EXTREMELY bad.

I am wondering if you know what this chemical/product is and if it is still being used. The reason is that I want to be able to CALL the restaurant ahead of time and ask them if they use it. Believe me when I tell you that having these issues is very unpleasant, and if I can avoid them by making a phone call, then that is what I will do.

Normally, I wouldn't bother but since this keeps happening repeatedly when I eat at one place, I am suspicious that this might be what is going on.

Any info is appreciated.

20yrsinBranson
The chemical is sulfites, a preservative. The same thing in wine that some people are allergic to. It was made illegal but some (most) resteraunts still use it.

Sulfite-treated lettuce challenges in sulfite-sens... [J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1989] - PubMed result

P.S. MSG is still VERY legal.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
The chemical is sulfites, a preservative. The same thing in wine that some people are allergic to. It was made illegal but some (most) resteraunts still use it.

Sulfite-treated lettuce challenges in sulfite-sens... [J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1989] - PubMed result

P.S. MSG is still VERY legal.
I dont think most restaurants continue to use sulfites as it is commercialy illegal to sell, and most restaurants get their supplys from commercial distributers.
Dont think i'd pay too much attention to a 21 year old article.

I do think...and this is just an opinion(for now) that there is something done with Precut bagged produce to preserve it's freshness.
I'm going to look when I go get my steaks later.

I'd find out if you can if this restaurant uses precut produce.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:35 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times
Most restaurants I have worked at use bagged lettuce and NO preservatives. Salads usually rotate quickly - with new batches made all the time. I would be more concerned about the dressings, cheese, or meats on the salad.

Food rotates very fast in chain restaurants. There are usually pretty strict policies on dating opened items and they are generally well monitored. However, there is always the possibility of lax management and not enforcing the procedures. I always tend to be more wary of hole in the wall type restaurants, because they do not have the same procedures as the big name chains - meaning most chains go above and beyond the minimum standards to protect the organization.

My hubby swears by hole in the wall places so I do eat at them, but I just make more careful choices.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:46 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,305 times
In difficult times restaurants will do things they won't normally do to not have to throw out food.

here is a link to buy potassium metabisulphite to keep the veggies looking fresh. Perfectly legal to buy.

http://www.winemakingsuperstore.com/chemicals.html

Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Looked and bought some pre-bagged Dole salad mix today.
The ingredients are, pre-wahed, Iceburg lettuce, carrots, red cabbage.
I'm not sure where you are looking or getting your info LaidBackhippie.. this is from your link.

POTASSIUM METABISULPHITE
Used as a sanitizer for equipment or as an antioxidant and bactericide in wine.
As a sanitizer for your equipment, use 2 ounces per gallon of water.
As an antioxidant/bactericide for your wines, 1/8 tsp. per gallon of wine equals approximately 100-150ppm (parts per million) SO2.
Superior in many ways to Sodium Metabisulphite.
Air exposure begins to reduce the potency of this chemical immediately.
Sulphite levels can be tested with our Titrets test kits.

For wine and beer making yes.. but not adding to vegtables.

Here is what wikipedia has to say about it, again no mention of preserving vegtables or fruits...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_metabisulfite

Last edited by Caligula1; 03-29-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink