Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

I've been looking through old threads but nothing quite answered my question.
Not all, but several of the pots and pans from when we got married have, after 25 years, gotten pretty beat up and I threw them out.
We'll probably all die of some dreadful disease because they were that SilverStone teflon stuff.
I'm not crazy about cast iron; I do have a huge calphalon griddle, pasta pot and small calphalon soup pot, but nothing in between.
Does anyone have a favorite type of cookware? What's the scoop on stainless steel?
Is All-Clad worth it? I just need a couple big frying and/or saute pans.
I like to cook but am not a fancypants gourmet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 03:28 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
I'm not crazy about cast iron;
May I ask why not? I adore cast iron for some things. Granted it's not for everything but there are some things you can't cook without cast iron.

I use an inherited set of Revere Ware from my Mother.

I would love a set of Calphalon. Liz

Old 07-02-2007, 03:36 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I've had stainless Revere Ware for 20-some years; it's fine for most cooking, easy to clean, and is a huge improvement over the enamel-clad stuff I bought when I got out of college (it was so pretty! It just didn't stay that way).

I like cast iron for frying, on the rare occasion that I fry something.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
All Clad is usually rated #1 in Consumer's Report and Cook's Magazine - the heat distribution is perfect, so foods tend to cook evenly and the cookware lasts forever. Revereware is great for some things - not the best for browning or for slow cooking and everything sticks like crazy. There is nothing better than cast iron for browning it is superior. I love Le Creuset also (porcelain lined cast iron) for slow cooking, cooking eggs, baking, etc. So I have a little of everything - what I use to cook in depends on what I'm cooking.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
Revereware is great for some things - not the best for browning or for slow cooking and everything sticks like crazy.
I can make fudge in it when I can't in anything else. Liz

Old 07-02-2007, 05:56 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
as above, it really depends upon what you're cooking and how interested you are in the results. you don't have to be a "fancy" chef to enjoy good cookware.

I'm very partial to cast iron as we can use it on the gas range, in the oven, and on the wood cookstove (which is a real pleasure to use during the winter months). My favorites are Griswold, Wapak, enamaled Griswold, and Descoware. We do some cooking for larger get-togethers now and then, so I have the largest Griswold griddles and Oval Roasters that they made ... bought from a historic hotel/restaurant auction that used them commercially for over 50 years. With care, all the cast iron will be used long past my grandchildrens' need.

Other than that, a few decent stainless steel pots for tomato based sauces will suffice for all your needs. Be sure to get ones with heavy bases to evenly distribute the heat.

Since our homes are at 6,000 and 9,000 feet elevation, a good pressure cooker comes in handy for some items, too.

I stay away from the miracle non-stick finished cookware. I prefer the flavors from real butter and olive oil in my cooking.

My cooking runs the gamut from classic country french, italian, portugese, mexican, spanish, chinese, japanese, cajun, vietnamese, country american, and creole. I try to stay with the simpler dishes, but cajun and creole (especially) take a long time over a slow fire ... perfect for a woodstove in the winter months. We eat a lot of soups, stews, bar-b-que, stir-frys, and roasted foods.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:05 PM

224 posts, read 777,590 times
I had a set a Emeril's stainless steel pots and pans, and I loved them, except they were very hard to keep clean (they were not non-stick). I now have a set of cookware from The Pampered Chef. I only wanted the skillet that came with the set, but had to get the whole set to get the one I wanted. I am SO glad I got the whole set. They are great to cook with, and super easy to clean up. I recommend them to anyone.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
I have a Calphalon 8 1/2 quart stew pot that came in the mail for free. I love that thing. It's fantastic. When it's time to get more, I'll add to my Calphalon collection.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:11 PM

72,416 posts, read 18,202,018 times
I prefer using stainless steel pots and pans than non-stick cookware because I heard so much about Alzheimer's disease. I have been using stainless steel for 2 years now.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I'm afraid I love the cast iron /enamel "Le Creuset", it's excellent for heat distribution and will last about 10 generations if looked after ! They are hard wearing and attractive too but of course quite expensive and very heavy. A slightly cheaper option is "Le Chasseur" which is very similar and if I remember correctly is made by the same company as "Le Creuset".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink