Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:29 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
This may have been done before.

I usually set up a weekly budget (monthly doesn't seem to work as well for us due to the fact that my husband travels 99.9% of the time). Some weeks I have a small budget ($25-$30) and some weeks my budget is a little higher. I like to stay under $50 a week on average for the whole month.

Anyway last night I went grocery shopping and spent $72.45 I was actually able to buy enough stuff that I shouldn't have to go shopping next week.

Here is a general list of what I got...
6 bags of the Steam Fresh vegetables
Turkey Smoked Sausage
Pork Tenderloin
1 pound of ground beef
Bag of frozen Chicken breast
Meat Loaf seasoning
Milk
Eggs
Pizza Crust
Fresh Mozzarella (fresh as in not shredded)
Tapioca Pudding
6 Yogurts
Egg Noodles
2 loafs of bread
Rice Pilaf
Yellow Rice
2 Cans of Cream of Mushroom soup
2 Canned Pineapple
1 can Mandarin Oranges
Box of sweet in low packets
Cake mix
Grapes
Cucumber
Banana's
Nectarine's
Apples
6 Broccoli heads
Red Onion
Sunflower Seeds
5 pound bag of potatoes

Just wait 'til you go to make that pizza.......I hope you have the sauce in stock at home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Around $80 a month.
Virtually nothing that is premade, but I do buy a loaf of two of bread a month, tortillas, and generic breakfast cereal, and a few condiments like mayo and mustard. Mostly fresh veggies, but I might open a can a couple times a month. Never any mixes, and I have no microwave.
Meat: Chicken leg quarters (59/pound), organ meats average a dollar pound, canned mackerel, rack of lamb when I find it cheap, or a small pork roast, and some bacon and pork sausage. About 2 oz of meat per meal., cooked in as a condiment. Dozen eggs every few weeks.
Lots of dried beans. Rice and potatoes and dumplings and cornmeal, occasionally pasta and couscous.
I bake my own cookies and biscuits.
A gallon of milk a month, never any drinks, just water.

I walk to the store, so everything I eat is carried a half hour walk. Great incentive to not eat a lot. When I'm almost out of things, I write it on the list, when I need 10-15 pounds of stuff, I go get it.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-13-2011 at 10:58 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Pop Tarts, wine.....I can't remember what else.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
During the summer months when my sons are home from school, our grocery bills easily hit $250.00 a week. They don't like sweets, but I had to constantly replenish milk, bread, cheese, yogurt,eggs, cold cuts and drinks.

I hope to see that go down to about $60.00/week now that it's just my spouse and I.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:50 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I usually go every two weeks, but buy one or two things more a couple of times a week. We probably average $100 a week.
I typically go to the meat counter and get what is a good value that week. Yesterday, I got a corned beef, and boneless chicken breasts. I already have hamburger, pork chops, and a couple of steaks in the freezer.
Then I shop for compatible produce, frozen or fresh vegetables, and canned goods. We very seldom use any converience foods. We hardly ever drink soda, and use very little dairy.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
I don't have a budget. I usually spend between $80-$100.00 a week including paper goods, cleaning goods, and dog food. The summer months my bill goes down because I eat mostly from my garden.

I buy these things every week:
Milk
Bread
Eggs
O.J.
Bacon
Fruit
Veggies
Yogurt and/or cottage cheese

On top of that I stock up on sale meats and sale items. I buy shrimp and condiments about once a month.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Around $80 a month.
Virtually nothing that is premade, but I do buy a loaf of two of bread a month, tortillas, and generic breakfast cereal, and a few condiments like mayo and mustard. Mostly fresh veggies, but I might open a can a couple times a month. Never any mixes, and I have no microwave.
Meat: Chicken leg quarters (59/pound), organ meats average a dollar pound, canned mackerel, rack of lamb when I find it cheap, or a small pork roast, and some bacon and pork sausage. About 2 oz of meat per meal., cooked in as a condiment. Dozen eggs every few weeks.
Lots of dried beans. Rice and potatoes and dumplings and cornmeal, occasionally pasta and couscous.
I bake my own cookies and biscuits.
A gallon of milk a month, never any drinks, just water.

I walk to the store, so everything I eat is carried a half hour walk. Great incentive to not eat a lot. When I'm almost out of things, I write it on the list, when I need 10-15 pounds of stuff, I go get it.
you only spend $80 a month on food? How many are in your family cause I find that almost impossible to believe. Do you eat any fresh produce other than potaotes?

Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Just wait 'til you go to make that pizza.......I hope you have the sauce in stock at home!
Never heard of a white pizza?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:01 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,097 times
Well...way more then we need to, someone in the house likes bakery goods and it's not me

I like to try new things and ideas I get here or online and Grandma likes to have extra's on hand because you never know when someone will come by for dinner..(old school)
So I always cook more then I need to.. Yes there is a shamefull amount of waste sometimes.

I dont like buying Deli meats, she does, it's out biggest waste item.

So i'd have to say 100 dollars a week for two and sometimes 3 people.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
My budget is for $250 a month. That includes pet food, cleaning, laundry, and a once a month party for about 20-25. In the summer, it's twice a month.

Around here milk is $4.50/gal - I generally go through two gallons in a month unless I get it free and then it's one a week so I bake or make cream sauces for meals and I usually donate a gallon. I'm an expert couponer (NOT an extreme couponer). I use coupons ethically and on the correct products/sizes. Just this past week, I got 20 deodorants for sales tax for my husband. So he's good for the year with a few extras to donate.

Since I only buy what's on sale, there is no example shopping list. Sometimes I go to more than one market in a week, generally spending a max of $20 per trip, mostly for fresh produce. I stock up on whatever meat is on sale, sometimes buying 3-4 boneless pork roasts at a time which I then package for our needs (roasts and chops). Of course, a full size freezer is a necessity. Veggies I either get really inexpensive already frozen (steamers) or I buy fresh and freeze myself.

In addition to a full size freezer, a top of the line food saver is absolutely necessary. But both will pay for themselves within a year or less.

While we are a family of 2, I help out a low-income family of 6 with donations weekly - cereal (brand name), hba, cleaning supplies, baking ingredients, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink